Nextel phone with GPS

Nextel now offers the Motorola i88s with a built-in GPS reciever. The phone is programable in Java and I wrote an app that you can download that allows you to track your phone in real-time. The phone sends a message to a server that updates a web page that shows where the phone is. Check it out at http://www.gadgeteer.org You can track where my phone is anytime it is on

Allen Smith

I find it a little disturbing. Ooof. Personal tracking device.

Don't know the phone so I'm not sure, but it occurs to me that if you could manage to get you hands on a friends (or enemies) phone you could put this on there and track them without their knowledge.

Strictly from a tech angle, it is cool. To bad there's so much abuse potential.

Not cool. I agree with General Bracket (new name?) I don't want anyone to be able to track me. Same thing with GM's On-Star equipment in new cars. They might claim it's great new technology, but it can be used for purposes that are not in your best interest.

You need to activate the java applet everytime you turn on the phone, so you have control of when you are "tracked".

We use a service offered by Nextel that does this. My company's delivery and service drivers have the Nextel's and our customer service reps can see where they are in real time on the internet.

Of course, we can also see when they deviate from the route they should be on. No more naps in the rest stop.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Still, I certainly wouldn't mind it if emergency services could find me in the woods or on back roads when I dial 911.

Of course, the downside I've heard is that this could potentially lead to targeted advertising a la "Minority Report".

Hek. The cell phone company can locate a phone that is turned on (not necessarily being used0 to withing 100 yards (or is it feet) just by triangulation from severl cell towers. This was fom back in 1993/4 or so.

My ex-employer used that info for when the caller made a 911 call, their call was routed to the proper agency.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

The game was great, beautiful day, free seats behind home plate, and the O's won for a change.

This message got me thinking... I have never placed a cache before, but what do you all think about a mobile cache. I guess I would make it a virtual cache, you would have to describe my shirt and where you saw me.

Another thought, what if the app on the phone connected with the cache database and alerted you when you are within 1, 5, or 20 miles of a cache. Let me hear some feedback

HA! That's a great idea. Post a mugshot type picture of yourself and a description of your appearance. Also put in places that you frequent. Tell the cachers that they cannot approach you, only email you and state where it was they saw you, what time, what you were wearing and what you were doing.

With your permission I might steal that one. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Not cool. I agree with General Bracket (new name?) I don't want anyone to be able to track me. Same thing with GM's On-Star equipment in new cars. They might claim it's great new technology, but it can be used for purposes that are not in your best interest.

Well, you better get use to it. I work for a cell phone company and every cell phone will eventually have GPS capabilities. Why? So when you call 911 they know exactly where the call is coming from.

Actually, I can see control freaks like me having a great use for this with their teenagers. Several years ago, there was a device in the news (to be marketed) that amounted to an "event recorder" for autombiles. Gig was that you put it in your kids' car, and you could download all the info later about where they went, how long they stayed, how fast they drove, accellerator and brake settings etc. Never saw that device hit the market. Too bad, because I wanted one and the timing was right...

Now we can accomplish most of that with a simple GPSr - but this Nextel phone gives a real-time option.

I can see it now...."Suzie, if you want a cell phone, the rules are it will always be on with the tracking feature enabled..."