Three little questions...

MajBach

1.How do you upload a little picture [are these avatars] that is posted along with your signature? I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work.

2.How are some people uploading .gifs as an avatar when it states only .jpgs

3.At the left margin of a post under the user name, there is always something like 'Geocaher', 'charter Member' or other stuff - lie a link or team name. How does this get there and how do you modify it, if at all?

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

quote:
Originally posted by MajBach:

1.How do you upload a little picture [are these avatars] that is posted along with your signature? I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work.

Those aren't avatars. People use UBB code to point to images, some of which are their avatar images from their profile page.

quote:

2.How are some people uploading .gifs as an avatar when it states only .jpgs

They're just using UBB code. UBB code doesn't care if it is a JPG or GIF. Just an FYI, but we don't do GIF because that format requires extremely expensive licensing to use.

quote:

3.At the left margin of a post under the user name, there is always something like 'Geocaher', 'charter Member' or other stuff - lie a link or team name. How does this get there and how do you modify it, if at all?

You can change your title when you have a membership.

Jeremy

That's what I call response time!

I remember when the big-stink over gif licensing happened in the early 90's.

I was dating a really hot looking woman from work at the time and I had just received a promotion.

The world was my oyster even if the BBS's were full of angry words over that particular format.

Sweet memories.

Originally posted by Choberiba:

That's what I call response time!

QUOTE]

I noticed that too. I just finished pressing the 'Post Now' button.

OK, Jeremy, thanks. But how do I enter a UBBCode to point to one of the images I have uploaded. And what is an avatar for?

MajBach

where would you put it?

Sorry. Guess I wasn't as fast this time.

An "Avatar" is a representation of you that will appear in the forums beneath your name, after OpenTopic works out all the bugs with their design elements. Unfortunately that will take a while to make sure their site works with "all" browsers, other than the more popular ones.

To create an image in UBB code, you first need to know the URL. I look it up by right clicking over the link to the image and choosing "copy shortcut" or if you are viewing the image, right click over it and choose "properties"

You can then use the "instant UBBCode" when you post a reply on the forums to see what the code looks like. Replace it with the url you use and enter it into your profile.

Whew! Hope that covers it.

Jeremy

I guess what I was missing was the fact that I have to have an image in my own personal web space [i do not] provided by my ISP. the reason why I didn't realize this is because I have uploaded these images into my profile, one of them appears if someone views my profile. Is there no way of using the images I have uploaded already down at the bottom in 'Signature (For the forums)' in modify your account' section?

Hope I am not become an annoyance - I have read the FAQ already.

MajBach

where would you put it?