Goldarnit! My caches keep getting emptied/taken!!

Guest cleenjeep

Guest cleenjeep

I don't know if someone has it out for me, or I am just a bad cache placer. I have lost several caches in the last few weeks. One was taken entirely, and one more was just plain emptied out, leaving the container! What is the logical course of action from here?

I really liked the one that was emptied out, so I am thinking of just putting more things in it and hoping it doesnt happen again. I will try to hide it a little deeper, or cover it in its hole with more debris.

The one that was taken entirely I guess I will have to just retire. I am deeply dissapointed, as this one was hidden way inside a fallen log. I think someone saw a person going for it, then returned later and thought "hey, great, a free tupperware container with cool stuff. Screw these guys, it's mine now". It is a little disheartening, to say the least.

Finally, one was removed by act of god, due to a flood. Oh well, I found most of it, buried in mud scattered and a crushed container!

I guess I will have to resort to more multi stage caches and buried treasure. But, then again, part of my multi stage was taken as well. Grrrr...

Anyone have some hints, ideas to thwart the plunderers? I would hate to think someone has it out for me, but you never know.

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest Ron Streeter

You don't say how well they were hidden, (except for the hollow log), but IF they were off the beaten path (trail)enough they probably wouldn't be plundered.

That's a call only you can make of course, but if someone saw a cacher looking at contents and then that "pirate" came back to plunder later, that might be an indication that it was not off trail enough.

Without getting into the "environmental" issues of off-trail, I usually try to put a cache 50 to 100 feet off-trail and "around a corner" or "over a hill".

If the cache finder is sitting somewhere where no one has a view of him investigating the contents, no non-cacher will have a reason to be in the vicinity of the cache.

A cache 5 feet off the trail is going to draw attention by non-cachers when they see someone puttering around the cache. Natural curosity would say "On my way back down the trail, I think I'll go see what that person was doing in that hollow tree."

As I said, I don't know all the circumstances of your situation, so please don't jump down my throat if none of what I said applies. I am just telling you how I hide mine. I have not had any caches plundered or destroyed, but I have been to several that have been, and they were always in publicly viewable areas where non-cachers would wander.

Regards....Ron

24H/26F/1C/4S

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 05 July 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

Cachers who don't bring the logs with them are setting themselves up for failure, anyway, IMHO.

4. With all these precautions, it is imperative that you do all you possibly can to get the very best coordinates listed. Take at least 3 readings. I like to take a reading, turn off the GPS, walk away, about 50 yards or so, and then turn on the GPS and do a little mini-hunt using only the GPS to guide me. Then I figure, if it worked for me, it will work for them. have had no one complain about my coords yet. (knock wood)

That is a shame about your caches. Hope these help, although it sounds like you have taken quite a few good steps already.

It still remains, however, that we cannot stop a plunderer armed with a GPS and the cache listing. I guess you could do an "ambush?"

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest cleenjeep

Thanks fellas, those are really helpful suggestions. I will keep them in mind as I repair/replace caches. There is one in particular I don't want to scrap just yet, as the final part is hidden pretty far off a trail, but the first two parts could probably use a little work. It has only been succesfully completed once, so I suppose it's not a really big deal to change things around a bit.

I think I too could agree that maybe I should make my caches a little bit harder to find, but I do live in a fairly populated area as well, so private property is a concern. I will just have to put more thought into the cache placing process. I started out placing eight in one weekend, just to get this part of the state started, maybe it is time to retire mine, and hopefully someone else will pick up the slack and come up with some more in my area. If not, then I will place one or two again.

Michael

------------------

Guest Peanuthead

Another scenario that exists is that some "friends" or acquaintances of yours know that you geocache and are snagging your caches just to mess with you.

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by cleenjeep:

I have lost several caches in the last few weeks. ... What is the logical course of action from here?

Consider experimenting with virtual caches. For some, the "treasure" aspect of geocaching is the main attraction, but for others, the "hunt" is the thing. Virtual caches can be placed in all sorts of places that are inappropriate for physical caches. And they eliminate some of the negatives like plundering, accusations of littering, need to restock or replace, etc.

[This message has been edited by Scout (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest cleenjeep

I suppose I will have to resort to virtual caches. I tire of finding my best caches stolen. I just got back from my favorite one. It was a multi stage. Every part of it was taken. Not a thing remains but a hole in the ground. I know it wasnt the park authorities, because these people are too dadgum lazy to pick up litter, let alone get a gps, and track down one container buried in the ground by following three clues. I didnt think this day would come. I dont feel like replacing it, and I dont particularly feel like placing any more. It seems that someone has it in for me. Well, whoever the spineless bas***** are, they have a few more to find.

Michael

------------------

Guest Ron Streeter

Hey guy...

Sorry to hear of your continued woes.

Try this for a plan.

Don't put any out for a while.

See if your others get plundered or destroyed. (I will assume they are well hidden).

If they get destroyed, it means some CACHER is out to get you ! It is the only explanation if only YOUR caches are being destroyed. It has to be a cacher who has a gps in order to find them if they are well hidden and he apparently has it in for you.

Then what? Can you mend fences with anyone that you might be clashing with?

You may have to wait a while to get this sorted out.

I have one other solution, but don't want to share it here as some bad type might pick up on it. If you like, email me at rjsmovie@aol.com and I will share it with you.

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest Ttepee

Wow that really sucks. Hate to see you so down and out about it but I know I'd be the same way. It's got to spoil the fun of it. Ron's advice seems sound... all I can really add is to try to switch to hunt mode and maybe in the hunt you'll find more clues as to why? Hang in there!

Ttepee

Guest rusty

I don't blame you for being pi$$ed off. I for one have enjoyed your caches because they are unique in this area. There is no way that cache 'accidentally' disappeared.

Sounds like you need to hide a rat trap icon_frown.gif

Rusty...

Guest rusty

I don't blame you for being pi$$ed off. I for one have enjoyed your caches because they are unique in this area. There is no way that cache 'accidentally' disappeared.

Sounds like you need to hide a rat trap icon_frown.gif

Rusty...

Guest makaio

rs).

I had hoped to keep this issue between this person and myself, but think it best to make those in the Portland area aware of his antics in the hopes I can help you avoid wasting your time seeking his caches which apparently don't exist.

Some background:

On 7/6 I received an email from someone who had visited my Dinah's Kitchen cache telling me it was gone, but the thief had left 2 notes bragging about it. The notes said the sport needed a villian and that he was it and that he planned to wreak havoc on local caches. They were signed by "whiskey_portal".

Later that evening I recevied the following email from this person...

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 8:26 PM

Subject: your cache

> I moved your cache because I am the bad guy. So hurry up and get it before someone else , or I, move it HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!(devious cackle)

Shortly thereafter, a new cache was posted named "loot from the looted" which contained within the description that it was in fact my Dinah's Kitchen cache relocated and even contained a note to me suggesting I get to it before it moves again.

I responded to this person that I wouldn't bother as it was probably just a ploy to get me and others to visit a site where there was no cache. The precedent here was due to another local cache he posted which a few local geocachers and I all failed to locate. No doubt a non-existent cache he posted in his "wreak havoc" scheme.

I also requested the Jeremy remove this cache post from the site. Jeremy, being the consumate professional that he is, readily agreed.

This apparently upset Mr. Rohan-Smith, who promptly responded by sending me yet another email in which he shows his true level immaturity by calling me names...

To:

Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2001 12:48 PM

Subject: poor sport

> It is out their you little sissy. Just because you couldn't find the one in aloha doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. If you don't believe that it exists don't look for it. It doesn't give you the right to have all of mine taken off. Your just a poor sport.

So while it's OK for him to steal my caches, it's not OK for me to ask Jeremy to remove his posts. Where are my manners?

Today, Mr Rohan-Smith logged entries for both Dinah's Kitchen and Sauvie island Revisited using his whiskeybreath moniker (both have since been deleted by me). I sent him email asking if I should assume he removed my Sauvie Island cache. He responded as follows...

To:

Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2001 9:30 PM

Subject: Re:

> Their was nothing in the log when I arrived. So go bother someone else.

>

> P.S Nice swimming spot

I had just checked on this cache last week and it was in perfect shape. It is also in an area that is not frequented by foot traffic. I have no doubt he removed the cache and from the P.S. I can only assume the cache is now floating down the Columbia River toward the Pacific Ocean (which would make him a litterer).

I will not be hiding anymore caches in the near future, except maybe to keep him busy cleaning up after me so he won't bother anyone else's caches in the area.

I highly recommend those in this area DO NOT seek his caches as they probably do not exist and are simply a ploy to get you to waste your time looking for them.

This person is apparently juvenile in his mental state and has some serious acceptance issues, but on the bright side, he will probably quickly grow bored with these antics and move on to bigger and better anarchistic behavior.

Guest cleenjeep

Wow, now that is terrible! I guess my situation isnt so bad after all! He he he.. On a good note, one of my other "somewhat difficult in plain sight" caches is getting searched for more now, and I believe the cachers are enjoying it! My favorite part is when people say they enjoyed the search, area, etc. I will, indeed, just hold back on the placing, or rather, replacing of caches for a while. I shall spend some time searching for other folks caches, and I might learn a thing or two along the way about how to hide better, or keep them far enough from higher traffic areas so as to thwart accidental finds, or peeping toms. No offence to any Tom's out there! So, in short, I havent thrown in the towel just yet, but taking a break. Thanks for all the advice.

Makaio, I hope that your "villain" gets what he deserves, maybe to be bored out of his wits, at the least. I hope also that he grows so tired of the sport that he abandons it entirely and moves on to vandalizing street signs while marking them with his moniker. Ha ha ha... Good Luck,

Michael

------------------

Guest Latrom

Dude, that stinks that you're caches are getting stolen, especially if it's by another geocacher. However, that doesn't mean you can't place some virtual caches. I live in Michigan also and it's scary to think that this person might set out to plunder one of mine as well. Well, I guess an occasional problem like this is expected in a game based on the honor system. I too have had one of my caches stolen but I admit to having placed it in a well traveled area so it most cirtainly wasn't a fellow cacher. I plan on placing another in the same general area, but "off the trail" a bit more.

--http://k2.kirtland.cc.mi.us/~salesj/geocache.html

[This message has been edited by Latrom (edited 09 July 2001).]

Guest jeremy

He, much like hackers, savors attention. The best way to respond is not to respond at all. Responding just eggs him on.

Another idea may be to call his parents and let them know what's going on. Looks like you have enough information to at least track down a phone number. He is just a kid, after all.

Jeremy

Guest Hard Slate

That's a tuff one! I'm not quite sure how I'd handle it.Several things do come to mind tho.Hide a motion sensor camera for one. eek.gif

How about an old hunting technique,'bait&wait'?Get out your camo, do a litle recon and catch the little sucker in the act.Whatever you do I hope they leave you guys alone and let you enjoy geocaching.Good Luck in the future!

Hard Slate

Guest bearboy

cleenjeep,I hope it was just bad luck.I dont think losing every stage of a multicache could be considered bad luck though.I would hate to have to do this myself but would if I had to.Have you thought about using a differant username when placing the cache? If you do have an enemy maybe this will deter them.Are most of your caches in high pedestrian traffic areas? I remember a while ago you werent getting any visitors at your caches and now they are being found,at least by someone.Unfortunatly by a jerk.I will be making a trip down to the areas that you have your caches sometime soon.I promise not to steal them.

bearboy