Big list of waypoints?

Guest karl

Guest karl

Had a thought here... I am about to make a cross country trip soon.. taking some time off from work.. And I would like to be able to leave my GPS on and see all the geocache waypoints along the way.. Would it be possible to build a feature into the website where you could like select a few states and then download some kind of file that has all the waypoints listed in them that you could then just use some program to upload them to your GPS?!? Because as of right now I am looking at having to map my trip and then go one by one and enter all the points I might see.. WHAT A PAIN! Anyway, just a thought... And short of this.. does anyone have any suggestions on speeding up the waypoint entering process? thx!

karl

Guest Exocet

Karl,

You didn't mention what GPS unit you have. I assume you DON'T have a Geode, but I'll use this opportunity to tell everyone else:

You can grab a .PDB file that works with the Geode GPS/Handspring Visor from my web site at http://geocaching.exocet.ca/OR_Caches.PDB

The file has all of the Oregon geocaches in it. I try to update the file once a week or so and about once a month I go through and find all of the dead geocaches.

When I talked to Jeremy about this awhile back (a file auto-generated for the Geode/Visor) he said he thought it was possible. I haven't heard anything since. No worries, since it's not hard to keep up to date, but some big file (even ascii) that just had the names or waypoints (my GPS can take around 20-30 charecters per waypoint, so I usually use the name) and the lat/lon would be nice.

Guest jeremy

Exocet, if you send me the schema for the PDB files I'll try to set something up for downloading the latest list of caches into Geode format.

And to respond, we'll be launching an EasyGPS version specificially where you can download coordinates of caches to the program and on to your unit. Hopefully I'll have something done in the next week or so - Dan from Topografix and I are just finalizing things.

And the EasyGPS software will be free. icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

Exocet, if you send me the schema for the PDB files I'll try to set something up for downloading the latest list of caches into Geode format.

And to respond, we'll be launching an EasyGPS version specificially where you can download coordinates of caches to the program and on to your unit. Hopefully I'll have something done in the next week or so - Dan from Topografix and I are just finalizing things.

And the EasyGPS software will be free. icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I can't wait to see this :~) it will be a great addition.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _________________ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

"But a big booming voice from the sky is exactly what you have found..."

-Contact

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

First there was sliced bread... and now this! What could be next icon_smile.gif

Rusty...

Next thing you know we'll have put a man on the Moon!

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

First there was sliced bread... and now this! What could be next icon_smile.gif

Rusty...

Next thing you know we'll have put a man on the Moon!