CB Radio & geocaching similarities

We used to play a game called CB tag. (Basically hide and seek). One person (usually in a vehicle) would hide within pre-determined boundaries, and others would try to track them down, using clues the "hider" provided, and signal strength obtained on the radios' signal meter. Once the hider was found, the finder got to go hide. Its a blast! And in many ways, geacaching is a lot like it, which is why I immediatly enjoyed it. Anyone ever tried it or heard of it?

Anyone out there?

I used to do about the same thing with ham radio. It is called Foxhunting. Someone (the fox) hides in a given area and transmits. The hunters use direction finding equipment to "zero in" and the first one to find the fox, gets to hide the next time.

There is a slight similarity with geocaching, but no fox. Geocaching is much more interesting and can be done anytime, anywhere.

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

quote:
Originally posted by thrillseeker69:

We used to play a game called CB tag. (Basically hide and seek). One person (usually in a vehicle) would hide within pre-determined boundaries, and others would try to track them down, using clues the "hider" provided, and signal strength obtained on the radios' signal meter. Once the hider was found, the finder got to go hide. Its a blast! And in many ways, geacaching is a lot like it, which is why I immediatly enjoyed it. Anyone ever tried it or heard of it?

Anyone out there?

Where exactly are you from? We did that very thing, to the letter, in Florida.

Chip

We in Los Angeles called it "T-Hunting" and were a bit less legal than you guys. Our hider was given 1/2 hour to go hide somewhere within city limits. When the time was up the hidden guy would rubberband his mic closed and play his choice of music until we found him. Almost always bad music that we *had* to listen to find him! Finder gets to hide next time. Those were fun times indeed.

I don't see the connection to Geocaching though.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but don't bet on it.

We called it "skunk hunting". I had the distinct disadvantage of driving an old Ford Galaxie 500, while all the other participants had four wheel drive trucks. That made for some interesting hunts in the hills around town!

Fer sure, good buddy!

We did that on the CB here in the Chicago area . We called it Foxhunting. It was our Friday night thing to do. Funny thing is, I have been a Ham Radio operator for 8 years now, and have never once done it with other Ham operators. It doesnt seem to be too popular around here with Hams.

Ahh, the good old high school CB days were fun!

I agree, Geocaching is much more fun.

Laugh now, but I've got plenty to do when I'm the last person on the planet

quote:

We used to play a game called CB tag. (Basically hide and seek).

Anyone ever tried it or heard of it? Anyone out there?

icon_wink.gif

Greetings... Yepper... 70's was a regular thing Fri & Sat in San Diego, El Cajon, Santee, Alpine area. Once a month did Tea Hunts with the Ham boys also. Those were kick tush ones! Still remember my CB licenses # before 40 channel became standard. OH YES... those good ole days! icon_cool.gif

quote:

We used to play a game called CB tag. (Basically hide and seek).

Anyone ever tried it or heard of it? Anyone out there?

icon_wink.gif

Greetings... Yepper... 70's was a regular thing Fri & Sat in San Diego, El Cajon, Santee, Alpine area. Once a month did Tea Hunts with the Ham boys also. Those were kick tush ones! Still remember my CB licenses # before 40 channel became standard. OH YES... those good ole days! icon_cool.gif

Yeah, we had a CB club on Channel 18 and did some hunts. Many of us went on and became hams and made two meter quads, attenuators, field strength meters and so on. Our transmit cycle was on ten seconds and off 50. That ate up a lot of brakes and tires trying to get a steady signal bearing. It was fun until equipment got a little more sofisticated and some of us could not compete equally. There the fun begins to end. With geocaching, the technology is there for us electronics hobbiests but we are only competing with ourselves and with relatively equal equipment. Some of us, locally, do have a loosely competative "first finders" competition, but it is just that.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Yes we did that here in Australia as well. We usually incorperated a picnic at the end location. My husband (Hounddog) and I met over the CB and we have now been married 18 years. Geocaching has taken us back to the good ol' days and guess what? Yes we have just bought a pair of hand held CBs to complement our GPSr's.

After listening to the hand helds over the past school vacations it seems nothing has changed.