Yet Another Etiquette Question

parkrrrr

Okay, I have some more questions about the appropriate etiquette while geocaching. I went and did a maintenance run to one of my caches last week, and I picked up the logs that were there, scanned them, and attached them to my maintenance log.

First question: Should I have done this without asking the people who logged it whether they care? Do you think anyone would care?

Second question: The log from eshenk & panic - and my log, too - refers to some stickers they left. Okay, fine. The problem is, two of the stickers are on the outside of my cache container and the third one is on the inside of the lid. Personally, I don't have an issue with this, but only because the box is hidden in a place no sane person would go without a GPS pointing them there so I didn't do any camo work on that particular box. I'd be upset if the stickers had been put on any of the other stages of the cache, though, given the amount of work I put into camouflaging those. Anyway, I like to think that the box itself is technically still my property, and shouldn't be defaced by other cachers. Besides, I'd like to bring the stickers home and scan them for the maintenance log, and I can't do that. Am I wrong here? Is this a common thing in some parts of the world?

warm.gif

Fuzzy,

Regarding taking the log home and scanning it to post online, good idea. I'm don't even see where there would be a problem. The only thing wrong I can imagine is that future cachers won't get to read through the logbook while at the cache. If the log pages are posted online.. than this is mostly a non-issue. The way I see it is that you're saving the logbook in the case of plundering.

Regarding stickers... um, I've seen that kind of thing now and then. A few caches up in the Nashville area had "signature" stickers stuck on the inside of the lid of the containers. I don't particularly care for the idea, because what if everyone did that? And in your situation, the stickers were placed on the outside of the container? I know some people spend a fair amount of time painting or otherwise decorating or camoflauging a container, and for someone to defact it is bad form in my mind. But yet, it's not the worst thing someone could do, so I don't think it's such a big deal.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Fuzzy,

Regarding taking the log home and scanning it to post online, good idea. I'm don't even see where there would be a problem. Jamie

i can think of a problem (but a small one). ive noticed in some my caches that they have been visited by "non-posters". for whatever reason they dont post their finds on the internet so they might object to have a scaned log entry {by them} on the net. when/if i ever get to scan the log books from my caches (which i think is a cool idea icon_smile.gif)ill probly just omit their entries.

as for the sticker thing, i havent seen stickers on the outside of anycaches, unless they were done by the cache owner. if people desided to leave a sticker on the outside of my cache i wouldnt care unless the cache was urban or in an area that would be given away by the sticker icon_rolleyes.gif(basically what fuzzy said)

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Fuzzy,

Regarding taking the log home and scanning it to post online, good idea. I'm don't even see where there would be a problem. Jamie

i can think of a problem (but a small one). ive noticed in some my caches that they have been visited by "non-posters". for whatever reason they dont post their finds on the internet so they might object to have a scaned log entry {by them} on the net. when/if i ever get to scan the log books from my caches (which i think is a cool idea icon_smile.gif)ill probly just omit their entries.

as for the sticker thing, i havent seen stickers on the outside of anycaches, unless they were done by the cache owner. if people desided to leave a sticker on the outside of my cache i wouldnt care unless the cache was urban or in an area that would be given away by the sticker icon_rolleyes.gif(basically what fuzzy said)

whack.gif

I have no problem with logs that we wrote being scanned and posted. As a matter of fact it was one of our logs that you posted. (As you can read, we had a great time doing this cache and would recommend it to anyone wanting a challenge!) When I sign a book I do so knowing that it could end up anywhere.

That being said I have to agree with Jamie Z, future cachers won't get to read through the logbook while at the cache. I would have been very disappointed if I arrived at the cache site and found an empty log book. Particularly after a cache that required this type of effort.