Geocaching Snowshoes?

Bryan

Greetings Geocachers!

We have been contacted by a company that is interested in branding Snowshoes for sale on the Shop Groundspeak Site.

Here is a link to one of their snowshoe models:

Yeti Snowshoes

We'd like to know if anyone would be interested in a product like this, both with or without the Geocaching.com logo.

Comments? Questions?

Happy Geocaching!

Sincerely,

Rothstafari

Groundspeak

Sounds great!

It helps people get an option to buy snowshoes for those long winter months. I say go for it!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Faster than a dial-up Internet connection, stronger than any band nerd, look up at the sky! ....is it a bat..... no .....is it my grandma's mustache..... NO! IT'S RADMAN Version 2.0!

They appear to be very unconventional snowshoes. Not having used them, I can't say whether their claims about their superior performance are true, but I can see why they would try to go out of their way to find an avenue to promote them.

Personally, I'd be careful before buying something like this. Sometimes radical new product designs are a major improvement, but more often they are fads.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

I agree with BrianSnat. A quick review of my favorite outdoors sites, plus a google search, did not turn up any press, product reviews or other info. about this brand. I've been pricing snowshoes and poles, and haven't ever heard of these. There are tried-and-true industry leaders,and yeah they cost more, but I'd rather pay extra for tested quality.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

First, I'd like to apologize in advance for thread-dooting, but you did ask for comments. Not speaking my full mind would be doing a dis-service, so here we go.

I'd have to say that my feelings towards these snowshoes would be the same towards the disposable camera that was discussed a while back.

I'd be mindful of price vs performance and would caution anyone about buying anything simply because it has a company's logo on it.

I am actually considering buying a pair of snowshoes for some winter 'caching, and I will be comparing all of the current brands available to try and find the best fit for my needs, rather than buying something blind.

If it turns out that these really are great snowshoes and they are competetive in both what they are selling for in the marketplace as well as what their competition is going for, then I may include them in my comparison.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

[This message was edited by Dekaner of Team KKF2A on December 13, 2002 at 08:08 PM.]

These are exactly the type of comments that we are looking for. Thank you!

Please keep them coming.

We have requested a pair of snowshoes from them and we're looking forward to testing them out and reporting back.

Happy Geocaching!

Rothstafari

Groundspeak

I am the guy who is in charge of promoting these things.... and of course all of your concerns are valid... I am offering this... since there are no reviews on these snowshoes...

Send your info to me and I will talk to the boss about getting a few pairs out to deserving reviewers at a steeply discounted price...

If you like em... tell everyone... if not send em back... simple enough

We will of course send out the obligatory "bribe" pair the Geocaching team!! J/K.... I will get a pair out for your testing though!!

Those interested...

send your name, address, email, phone#, and we will see what we can hook you up with!!!

send to info@x-streamproducts.com

Thanks

Jeremy Faust

Don't know if I would buy them I never heard of them. I have seen some very unusual designs before so thats nothing new. I have owned a pair of Tubbs snowshoes for many years. I have actually just started looking at them again because my daughter wants a pair. If you are looking at different brands maybe try Tubbs, Atlas, or MSR.

http://www.tubbssnowshoes.com/templates/index.php

http://www.atlassnowshoe.com/product/snowshoehome.asp

http://www.msrcorp.com/snow/

http://www,redfeather.com

[This message was edited by IMLost on December 14, 2002 at 07:14 AM.]

I prefer Atlas. They have the best binding system going. Tubbs' have terrible binding systems, so I'd stay away from them, unless you want to have to stop peridocally to put the shoe back, or tighten the bindings. MSR is a good, inexpensive shoe, but they have problems with binding breakage in real cold weather. Redfeather is another good shoe.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I prefer Atlas. They have the best binding system going. Tubbs' have terrible binding systems, so I'd stay away from them, unless you want to have to stop peridocally to put the shoe back, or tighten the bindings.

Wow I guess I am just lucky I have never had a problem with my bindings. I use them for day hiking and winter backpacking trips. Like I said I have had them for years maybe there binding design has changed or been cheapened up. I'll have to keep that in mind for my daughters pair.

quote:
Originally posted by jfaust97@yahoo.com:

Send your info to me and I will talk to the boss about getting a few pairs out to deserving reviewers at a steeply discounted price...

If you like em... tell everyone... if not send em back... simple enough

I definitely want to at least try them out. I own a pair of Tubbs snowshoes, which I've had for about 7 years now. No problems with them but I've always wanted to get a different model that would hopefully be more versatile and to have as a second pair so I can loan them out to friends whenever I can coerce them to go dashing through the snow.

It would really be interesting to see how these shoes stand up to their claim as being the world's "first full motion snowshoe". With 2 high-energy huskies in harness pulling me via a skijor belt, my snowshoe treks are always a lively experience. These guys drag me through a variety of terrain, and I have to be prepared to move "...forwards, backwards or sideways" and satisfy their natural drive as I am often times forced to "...run, jump, traverse and climb".

One thing I'm really curious about is what traction these Yetis have. I do not see any crampons, so I'm not sure what kind of grip they will provide when climbing up an icy incline.

I've had my eye on the MSR Denali, as they look to be more suited to a variety of movements and trail conditions, specially in their models with the additional flotation tails for softer snow. But hey, if your "steeply discounted price" is right, then I would love to give them a test drive.

We already have a few pairs of snowshoes, Atlas and Tubbs, but I like the idea of smaller size and weight. So I sent in my name and address. Looks like I'll be getting plenty of opportunities to go to Vermont for the next year and a half or more to give them a go. We also like to snowshoe in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. And maybe this year we'll actually get enough snow in Connecticut. Last year winter was like Spring, I had bulbs coming up in January!

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

Is there a weight limit on these? I see there is a S SL and XL. The XL looks nice and has a pretty cool binding that looks as though it would do a good job. I am a 240 pound man and would need something to support me and a 35 pound pack along with clothing. Would the S work for that or would I need to move up in size? I'm pretty sure I have seen this style of snowshoe before but no little about them. Here ya go. found what I've seen before very similar. Do you all make those for cabelas? Just curious.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

We'd like to give them a try! icon_biggrin.gif

They are an unusual design........how would they hold up to Wisconsin cold? Alot of times we have deep snow, but with an icy layer on top. My 8 year old son got one of those cheep plastic toy snowboards for the hill in our backyard last year. A couple good times down the hill and then SNAP! icon_eek.gif We're wondering if the plastic just couldn't handle the extreme cold........ Ice would be an issue too.......would these turn into ski's on an icy layer?

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

quote:
like I said I have had them for years maybe there binding design has changed or been cheapened up. I'll have to keep that in mind for my daughters pair.

The bindings on the Tubbs children's shoes are even worse. I bought my 11 year old daughter Tubbs shoes, against my better judgemet, beccause they were the only brand in stock and we needed them that day. Seems like we have to stop every 10-15 mins to re-attach them or adjust them.

Did anyone ever try these??

Seems they have changed a bit, and are now one size fits all. They also now have a model with a crampon. The specified weight limit is 300lbs.

Yetis

I am curious about these. I definitely would like a pair of snow shoes (yesterday's hike in a foot + of wet snow was, um, challenging), but I have the world's worst body type (for everything) - short and, ah, not 98lbs. I have used traditional snow shoes and they are OK, but I find the length cumbersome on my short legs. Most women's shoes have a pretty slim build requirement - the most comfortable and effective (in powder) size for me is 8x28.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone ever did try them, and if so, how they worked.

Thanks!!

I just placed some caches while snowshoeing here in the Chicago area. Also found quite a few while snowshoing during our last snowy spell here(Chicago area) a couple weeks ago.

I'll contact the rep about a trial. Not sure what kind of snow we'll still have here this year but hoping for a couple more big storms.