Has GeoCaching affected your health?

I was talking to a buddy today, my ex-guitar player exactly, about geocaching... He's going to the gym for the first time, and was spooked...

2 Months ago, I was huffing and puffing finding 2/2 caches, and as the last two months have progressed... Last weekend I nailed two caches, 2 mountains, 1000 feet up, 1000 feet down, 1000 feet up again (cache #2) and back... park at 7300, caches at 8300... I was tired of course but not dead... I got back to the car and I thought goddamm, there's no way I could have done this 2 months ago... I just traveled 12 miles, and i feel allright...

I started wandering a local area looking for snakes recently twice a week for an added bonus... it's distance but not difficult...

I drink, I smoke occasionally, I stay up late and I wake early...

I feel good, and am looking better...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

Yes, I've gotten some health benefits too. I told my wife today that I need to do a few "huffing and puffing" hunts this weekend. It sure is nice to see a hill or some steps going up a slope and thinking "no big deal". Geocaching is the only excersize that I really enjoy.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I did a cache last week, got lost, got bearings and found the trail. At this point I'm cut up, cranky and way out... I hear footsteps, over my heavy breathing...

"tip top tip top tip top... How are your doing? Nice day!"

Owned by a dadgum weekday jogger... I took a drink, trudged on, and made up insanely obscene names for Mr. "Hops-a-Lot" Nothing ruins your high more than a jogger zipping by and making it look easy...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

I started geocaching because my doctor told me I had to walk. I have a bulging disk in my lower back that flares up now and again putting me in bed involuntarily to enjoy some shooting pains. After my last flareup, my doctor tells me walking is the best thing I can do. Walking around my neighborhood is boring...BORING. Then, I find geocaching! In the last 3 weeks, I have gone from partially numb leg limping geocacher on 1/1 caches to a healthy and happy geocacher willing to do 4 star caches and several a day. Having a goal (the cache) and some fun electronics to play with has made a MAJOR difference in my health and my life. Can't even say how happy I am.

Juanbob icon_smile.gif

I started geocaching because my doctor told me I had to walk. I have a bulging disk in my lower back that flares up now and again putting me in bed involuntarily to enjoy some shooting pains. After my last flareup, my doctor tells me walking is the best thing I can do. Walking around my neighborhood is boring...BORING. Then, I find geocaching! In the last 3 weeks, I have gone from partially numb leg limping geocacher on 1/1 caches to a healthy and happy geocacher willing to do 4 star caches and several a day. Having a goal (the cache) and some fun electronics to play with has made a MAJOR difference in my health and my life. Can't even say how happy I am.

Juanbob icon_smile.gif

Absolutely! I was used to walking to my car, my desk and in and out of houses, maybe up and down some stairs, not getting out enough. Now I can walk for miles. I still huff and puff (asthma) but it's getting better. Now I can go for miles. I just love this sport and wish my job didn't cut into my geocaching. Is anyone out there hiring people to geocache for pay? Count me in! icon_cool.gif

Cache you later!

Planet

Absolutely! I was used to walking to my car, my desk and in and out of houses, maybe up and down some stairs, not getting out enough. Now I can walk for miles. I still huff and puff (asthma) but it's getting better. Now I can go for miles. I just love this sport and wish my job didn't cut into my geocaching. Is anyone out there hiring people to geocache for pay? Count me in! icon_cool.gif

Cache you later!

Planet

I guess livin back in the woods you kinda get used to the AIR and take it for granted til ya hear of all the huffin and puffin, (kiddin) I get mine in too but the clean air and the smell of the forest is awesome to inhale and get that next rush of adrenalin lookin for that (lost)cache.There is always some new adventure waiting out there we just have to make the JOURNEY, happy geotrails and many more.

A Point in the right direction,ASCENSION.

Living on the East side of the San Francisco Bay area, almost every hill here has a cache on the top of it. I try to hit a 3+ terrain cache every weekend.

Geocaching was also great for my mental health last year when I was out of work for 5 months.

-Mark

Will cache for food

Oh yeah. Getting out has made my dust allergies worse to the point where I have to use a nasal inhaler. My trick knee's acting up because of the amount of steep slope hiking I'm doing. My heel tendinitis is wose than it's ever been. I've dropped something heavy on my right hand and bruised it badly. I've jammed my toe.

On the other hand, my hypertension is under control, and I can walk a lot farther than I could five months ago.

Wouldn't give it up for the world.

I am an out-doors type to begin with. Being retired military, I am quite familiar with long walks in the desert. Basic qualification in our unit required a 12 mile hike with full pack and M-16 in 3 hours. I hike a good amount, and write historical papers for the local parks service on some of the sights in the area. There is always a topo-map or 4 in my possession. Geocaching is something that I do when it fits in with the weekend's events, like if there is a cache in the area I am working, we visit it. Guess that is why I have only 4 found with miles of hiking logged this year so far.

So has it helped me? NO! But is has not hurt me either.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

Since taking up Geocaching, I no longer break into a sweat while lifting my gps. I also don't strain to the point of exhaustion when opening Tupperware. The only downside is that I have to recharge the batteries on my Rascal a lot more since taking it out on the trails.

I've definitely gone places I wouldn't have normally gone and pushed myself in ways I normally wouldn't. I'm not sure if my physical health has improved all that much, but I feel better about myself.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

You bet it’s improved my health! I love the outdoors, hiking, and I'm a techno geek to boot, so this is the perfect hobby for me.

As a slight sufferer of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Geocaching is a great cure. I work indoors and I’m a student, so I’m often inside a lot. There are just so many reasons now that I cache to get out and get that good light, find that cache, discover new places and meet new friends. Not to mention all of the added exercise benefits!

I've been at it for nine months and I've lost quite a bit of weight and I've noticed my endurance is much better. I used to get out of breath very easily. Now, I can walk a long way and still feel fine. I recently went on a couple of caches where on one I had to hike half a mile up a very steep hill, and I didn't even stop to rest until I got to the top and I did one a couple of weeks ago that I walked a little over two miles and didn't even realize it until I looked at my GPSr's trip odometer. Both walks would have killed me a few months ago. I also feel alot better about myself than I did several months ago. Yes, geocaching has been very benefitial to my health.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

I've only been doing this for a little over a month now and I can already notice a difference.

My stamina is getting better and better. It's nice to have such a great excuse to pry myself off the couch and get outside.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:
Originally posted by Sea_Dog:

I was doing some cache maintenance on my mountain bike yesterday when a tree jumped out in front of me. Broken Acromion. Now that fall mountain bike racing is out of the picture I'll have plenty of time for caching!

Was that at Waller Mill? I've had one of those rouge trees take me out one or three times. icon_biggrin.gif We visited your cache there yesterday.

Hope you're doing well.

[This message was edited by Kingsman on September 08, 2002 at 07:02 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Sea_Dog:

I was doing some cache maintenance on my mountain bike yesterday when a tree jumped out in front of me. Broken Acromion. Now that fall mountain bike racing is out of the picture I'll have plenty of time for caching!

Was that at Waller Mill? I've had one of those rouge trees take me out one or three times. icon_biggrin.gif We visited your cache there yesterday.

Hope you're doing well.

[This message was edited by Kingsman on September 08, 2002 at 07:02 AM.]

Cashing has been great for me,I had to retire a couple of years earlier than planned.Health problems to many to mention.But my legs still work fine.I was starting to get a little down in the dumps when I found geocashing, gets me up and out. I normally go by myself, now my wife worries that I will fall of a cliff or something. But the way I look at it is that if I keep the legs moving good health will follow! Happy geocashing everybody.

quote:
Originally posted by Fundy Man:

Caching has been great for me,I had to retire a couple of years earlier than planned.Health problems to many to mention.But my legs still work fine.I was starting to get a little down in the dumps when I found geocashing, gets me up and out. I normally go by myself, now my wife worries that I will fall of a cliff or something. But the way I look at it is that if I keep the legs moving good health will follow! Happy geocaching everybody.

...anyone realizes just how much better you feel until your wife needs something from the store and instead of just hopping in the car and driving 4-5 blocks, you just put on a comfortable pair of shoes and walk it.

I honestly would not have down that 8 months ago, before I was told about geocaching. Now, I can walk farther, have lost weight, and just plain feel better.

Thank you Jeremy et all,

Bear (& Ting)

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:
Originally posted by Kingsman:

Hope you're doing well.

No, It was Laurel Glen. I didn't quite make it to Waller Mill. Doing pretty well with the help of some great medicine!

quote:
Originally posted by Kingsman:

Hope you're doing well.

No, It was Laurel Glen. I didn't quite make it to Waller Mill. Doing pretty well with the help of some great medicine!