Anyone else evr find ahh DEAD things?

Guest E=Mc2

Just found out about these forums. Was going to ask about injuries, but saw a previous post about it. Me, I only twisted my ankle and scratched my leg while almost crushing my other foot. Back to my question, Has anyone else ever found a dead body while geocaching or hiking? A few years ago I found a skeleton inside a cave while hiking. I placed my first cache there and called it "Dead Man's Cave".

Peace and Have Fun!!!!

E=Mc2

Guest rediguana

Not people, but animals yes. Found a dead seal at the weekend whilst hunting a cache, and one of my other caches had some dead sheep that had been killing by falling rocks from a nearby cliff. Hope I don't ever find a person though.

Cheers Gav

Guest DiscoJason

Wow...a human skeleton? I found your Dead Man's cache page hopinng for more details on this story but saw none. I assume that the skeleton is no longer there and that it was reported to the authorities. Did they ever discover who the person was?

DiscoJason

Guest tslack2000

e threw the poor animal in?

I've been in some places (such as Ghost Towns) where I thought for sure I'd run across a dead body...but none yet. (That's a good thing [ icon_smile.gif])

Guest tslack2000

e threw the poor animal in?

I've been in some places (such as Ghost Towns) where I thought for sure I'd run across a dead body...but none yet. (That's a good thing [ icon_smile.gif])

It was a number of years ago and I wasn't caching but I have found a dead body. Actually my dog found him. We were horseback riding and the dog dissapeared in the woods and wouldn't comeback(which is unusual because she always listens)

So when I went to investigate I saw what she had found. I guess the guy wanted to die. The cops figured hey got really drunk and went out in the bush and lay down in the snow.

Yes the authorities were notified and the remains have been taken away. That would be weird finding a skull next to the cache. The identity of the man was found. His family( mother) called me once to talk. It was a bit weird but it helped her out a lot. I have gotten X-mas card from them. Strange but I just got back checking on that cache just today. Someone was interested in more details. Not many except that I almost picked the skull up with my hands, but moved it with a stick first, that is when I noticed the jaw and that it was not an animal. Now I almost look for out of place things. It was a horrible discovery but in the long run it helped the family put things to rest.

Guest DiscoJason

Not sure if you can talk about this or not, but my morbid curiosity has gotten the best of me here. Was he dumped there or did he die out hiking and noone knew where he was? I feel almost ashamed for asking, ,but your story is so fascinating I cannot help myself.

On a caching trip to the Chicago area I attempted nine caches on two days. On three of the hunt I found dead critters. A pig, raccoon, and opposum. There was not much left of the pig. His head spine and a few ribs where all that were left. The raccoon had only been dead a few days and the opposum was only dead a few hours maybe a day. I was getting a little creeped out, especial since I was not haveing much luck finding the caches at the site were I found the pig and raccoon.

mcb

When I showed the police just where it was, almost right after they saw it, I was asked if I saw any weapons. I did not, the only thing that I saw was ( just noticed saw is was backwards) his clothes in a nice little pile. For those who do a lot of hiking you know how clothes end up in strange places. Sometimes couples are interrupted or someone changes and forgets the clothes. I had to write and explain everything about 15 times. So if you did not put 2 and 2 together= He was naked. But only a little bit of skin was on the leg bones. It really does look like old rotting paper. I have never been told how he died, Suicide, Heart-attack, Broken-neck, etc... could be the reasons. What is sort of sad is I remember the search party when he was missing. Searchers would have been within 150 feet of the cave. While waiting around for the police to let me go, a missimg persons flier was only yards away, with his picture on it. Some have asked if it freaked me out. No, not really. Maybe if it was a horrible murder, but then I would have been more afraid to tell the police. Guess I am a bit morbid, but I almost look for more bodies now when I hike/geocache. A mountain close by has millions of places someone could have gotten into trouble and died. By finding them, it lets the family members put things to rest. I hope to get a cell phone this October, cause I usually go caching alone( I know it is stupid) and I keep thinking " What would I do if I fell or broke a leg, or worse attacked by a bear" . Well I have bored you by now. Anymore questions feel free to ask!

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by E=Mc2:

When I showed the police just where it was, almost right after they saw it, I was asked if I saw any weapons. I did not, the only thing that I saw was ( just noticed saw is was backwards) his clothes in a nice little pile.

It is common for people who are lost, especially in hot weather, and become delerious to take off their cloths and fold them. Bodies found in the desert often have their cloths folded neatly near by.

Folded cloths are a good sign that the person who died was suffering from some sort of mental illness and was not murdered.

I've never seen this reported in the press but an experienced homicide detective who works in rural, desert, areas will know this.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

hmmm how do I say this and be nice at the same time. I tried to avoid saying he did have a mental problem. No, he was not retarded but I guess you could say close to it. I did not point that out only because I did not think it mattered. But with the last post, maybe it did.