Are Disney parks a Good are bad for caches

rickrob

I'm saying yes, good place. Disney is as likely as anywhere else to have a "potential misunderstanding" regarding a cache. Caches placed with a little thought, and extreme discression used by the cachers should not be feared in any location - especially micros. Virtual caches are a matter of taste and could be placed anywhere, but personally, I think it requires a little thought and common sense to place a "good" micro in such a "guarded" busy environment. Also, if a cache were placed in a local park, playground, or other potentially public place, with a high public visibility factor would there be the same concerns?

RBDupuy

I would say Disney would be a bad place for a cache. First it costs a fortune to get in so unless you were going there anyway, a lot of people won't get there. Second, I imagine that Disney would be a great target for the bad guys and their security would be pretty high. Physical caches are definitely out. And last, I don't think I would want to drag my GPS through the park all day while I enjoy all the rest of the park just to pick up a virtual cache or two (not to mention one of the water rides icon_eek.gif ).

If Disney knew about them, they would forbid them. Therefore, they should not be placed. This is respect for private property.

Perhaps when I were younger and a little more daring, I would have placed one out there, 'cause I lived close enough I could have maintained it easily. I also know plenty of woods and areas that don't require park admission and would be way off the beaten path, but I'm not there any more, and I really don't want to read about bomb scares as Disneyland/WDW because a skitzo saw someone put a film canister behind the trashcan...

Frankly, 15 years ago, a cache wouldn't have survived more than a day or so 'cause every inch of the property was daily scrutinized by custodians, maintainers, landscapers, etc. Today, they 'can't afford' it anymore. Ok. I'm starting to get bitter here. I'll stop...

I think no person should ever place a cache anywhere they can't personally maintain it, and be responsible for it (unless they know of someone local who can take care of it).

There have been other threads about asking permission, and some thought along the line of "don't ask, don't tell, but if they say remove it, I will". Where I can reluctantly go along with this mentality up to about a city park level, I believe permission MUST be asked at Theme Parks, State Parks, National Parks, etc.

And since the "They're OUR parks" mentality doesn't hold up at the Disneys, I would just simply say NO. It's private property, they'll say "NO" if asked, there are a LOT of people in any one park at a time, and the POSSIBILITY of a scare could cause hysteria, leave it alone.

First Amendment gives us the right to free speech, but it doesn't allow us to stand up and shout "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater.

Common sense, folks.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Its been a long time so I don't remember all the details but there is a game played at the various Disney parks where you spot the hidden Mickey's. I heard about it on a usenet group about the parks and several web pages so you should be able to do a search and find more info. There are Mickey Mouse shapes (round head and ears) hidden in the architecture and such throughout the parks. You could probably incorporate using the GPS to log the coordinates of these.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Rex:

...there is a game played at the various Disney parks where you spot the hidden Mickey's.

...There are Mickey Mouse shapes (round head and ears) hidden in the architecture and such throughout the parks.

Hidden Mickeys are placed by Disney Imagineers as part of ride decor, architechture, shows, and other attractions. You can read more about them at: www.hiddenmickeys.org

I think a well thought out virtual Hidden Mickey cache would be a great idea, however a lot of the HMs are inside ride systems or otherwise indoors, however, there are thousands of them with new ones being found and old ones being removed with ride refurbishments, closings, etc. This might be a good way to do a multiple-virtual cache like the Disneyland and DCA caches. I think people would enjoy the cache, the hidden mickeys and maybe learn something they didn't know before.

RBDupuy.

I'm going to Disney in November...and my mom and sisters have forbidden me to geocache while we're there! icon_rolleyes.gif They said no GPS allowed! Can you believe the nerve of them!? If they were to try it just once, they might like it too! icon_biggrin.gif

Considering how much it costs to go there though...I don't really think people would do much caching. I mean you can cache any ole day...and who wants to worry about dragging around a GPS all day, along with a camera, and trying to keep up with a 5 y/o!?! I might bring mine just in case...but seriously, I probably won't be using it. icon_razz.gif

Shybabe924

=============

If they can send a man to the moon, why can't they send all of 'em?

quote:
Originally posted by shybabe924:

I'm going to Disney in November...and my mom and sisters have forbidden me to geocache while we're there! icon_rolleyes.gif They said no GPS allowed! Can you believe the nerve of them!? If they were to try it just once, they might like it too! icon_biggrin.gif

What are they, nuts?? If you're going to be walking right past the virtuals, and probably stopping at at least one of them for a major photo opportunity, they should allow you the moment it takes for the confirmation photo. And, if you get over to 'All Star' resort, perhaps you could be the lucky person to have your photo taken in the bushes 'waving your arms like a chicken.' icon_wink.gif