"A High Tech Treasure Hunt"

Scoobie10

On hundreds of different websites and in almost every article ever written about geocaching you can hear this phrase "A high tech treasure hunt". Although this may well be the best way to describe it to date, do you have a better, more creative phrase that might describe it in more detail?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scoobie

A day without sunshine is like.....NIGHT!

The worlds largest Easter Egg Hunt. Only not with Eggs. And not on Easter. And more grown up oriented. And it has no religious affiliation. OK, its nothing like an Easter Egg hunt, forget I said that. What I'm really trying to say is.....well....ummm....like Indian Jones, life is an adventure. Only not with snakes and bolders and Nazis. Yea, that thing about Indiana jones, that was stupid. Forget I said that. Its more like being lost in the woods, but not as scary. Unless you really are lost, with snakes and boulders and nazis. No, that was dumb...forget I said that. What I am really trying to say is that its a high tech treasure hunt. Yea, that works. icon_wink.gif

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

"...with a little self gratification in the end"

Um, sure... I do that sometimes, but it's not necessarily correlated to caching.

Jamie

I thought I recognized you from the local pickle park. Get a room will ya?

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie Stalkers:

The worlds largest Easter Egg Hunt.

That's interesting you mention that. I just created a new website and used an easter eggs hunt anology to describe it. But for some reason I didn't feel like a captured the idea I was looking for.

Scoobie

quote:
Originally posted by scoobie10:

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

High tech hide and seek.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=81960519&r=30560429#30560429

For some reason, the High Tech doesn't agree with me, so I'd like to combine Can'N'Geo and Mtn-man's two together and call geocaching

A Satellite Guided Hide and Seek.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

Southern California Geocaching

Family: "What do you do again?"

Me: "I'm a system programmer."

F: "So, you program the system?"

M: "Well, not exactly, it's more like a system administrator."

F: "So, you administer the system?"

M: "Well, sort of...but not really, it's, uh..."

F: "but it's something with computers, right?"

M: "oh for sure."

F: "But you're not a programmer?"

M: "Well, I am. But I'm really a system programmer."

F: "Oh."

M: "Yeah, it's sort of like a high-tech treasure hunt."

astrojr1&G-O-GardenerGal

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

Satellite-Asssisted Hide 'n Seek

There are pretty good cachers who do it w/o the sats all the time ... and others who are just forced to use force from time to time. It's just that you *usually* get help from a GPSr. You don't have to, though, and sometimes you just can't.

I have a different definition on this puzzle cache page:

"Grave Early-Onset Caching Addiction / Caching Hyperactivity (GEOCACH) disorder"

Originally posted by worldtraveler:

"Dead Drops R Us" [uNQUOTE]

It appears as though the CIA shopping cart isn't working at this time. I tried to buy a couple of those Dead Drop Spikes and couldn't get the website to accept my order. Do you think the CIA accepts PayPal?

OzGuff

N.B. Apologies to the Bella's for borrowing Tweedle-Dum for my avatar! It just cracked me up!

G reatest

E ver

O utdoor

C olaboration

A nd

C olossal

H iding

I nvention

N ation wide(Multi)

G ame

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

quote:
For some reason, the High Tech doesn't agree with me, so I'd like to combine Can'N'Geo and Mtn-man's two together and call geocaching

Ahhh......this is by far the best. Thanks Webfoot. Would you mind if I used it on my site?

Scoobie

The reason every article uses the phrase "High Tech Treasure Hunt" is that the phrase is found on the GC.com homepage. Judging by several of the articles I've read, they didn't get much further than that in their research....

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

I explain it to all my puzzled and lost freinds, "GeoCaching is preaty much, Rumiging around the mud,Bushes, Under logs, looking for a little tupperware container"... They give me a blank look... Ask me "Why the hell do you do that exactly?"... I just tell them "Well, Because."... and thus... the best explanation of GeoCaching yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

--Alsid Prime--

GeoCaching for a goal.