What would be the next step?

There is a cache in my area that we attempted a few weeks ago. When we got to the cache area, we found it was in a neighborhood (not unusual for this area). We parked and headed for one of the entrances to the park area between all of the houses, only to find signs posted at every entrance trail that said that the area was private property for the use of members of the homeowners association only. Trespassers would be prosecuted. Needless to say we turned around and left. We posted a note on the logs regarding this and actually found that a couple others had posted notes as well asking for some reassurance from the cache owner that he or she had obtained some kind of permission for us to access this area. To date, the cache owner has not acknowledged any of these posts and it seems to be a fairly busy cache. It seems most people just ignore the signs and go ahead and find the cache, but I just wasn't willing to take the risk.

What should be the next step in the process? Am I wrong in thinking that the cache owner has some responsibility to post something onm the cache page giving the all clear?

Thanx

Dep

I'd like to see the cache page.

From the way you describe it, yes, the owner has a responsibility to let you know if permission was obtained. If the owner doesn't respond, or permission wasn't obtained, this cache should be archived.

Jamie

What Jamie said is completely accurate as far as I'm concerned.

I ran into a similar problem while caching elseware and after a few email discussions with the cache owner, he modified the page to clear up any misunderstandings.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

According to the new guidelines posted by Jeremy in the past day or two, the logs indicating the cache is on private property and would require trespassing should cause his 'checkers' to archive this cache until the cache owner proves permission was/has been obtained.

At least, that's the way I read them.

Well,

After reading the logs, I'm not convinced it's on private property, nor am I convinced it's not. Seems there is some confusion, and possibly a way to get to the cache that does not cross private property.

I'd email the owner and ask for clarification. If none can be had, this cache should be taken for a ride.

Jamie