Found a Hitchhiker, Looking for Owner

I realize that it would be alot of work, but you may be able to back track the travels of this little guy by checking the earlier posts on the cache page to see who placed him, checking that cachers found caches to see where he picked the bug up, see who placed it in that cache, etc until you found the original placer.

Good luck.

Is where it originated,according to another log in the cache you found it at. Maybe try posting this question in the "South and SouthEast" forum? Someone might recognize it or the cacher. Maybe even post a msg like "Desperately seeking Duck Owner" or put the email address in the topic. I know there are just so many msgs posted every day, I can't read every single thread. I just scan the topics and see what looks interesting.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by The Green Team:

The duck was from Louisville, Ky. Email address was DSaysHi@aol.com. If anyone knows this cacher please let me know

This is the alternate email address for "Show Me the Cache". He is from Louisville and has several caches listed in that area.

Bruce

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I realize that it would be alot of work, but you may be able to back track the travels of this little guy by checking the earlier posts on the cache page to see who placed him, checking that cachers found caches to see where he picked the bug up, see who placed it in that cache, etc until you found the original placer.

Good luck.

I was bored, so I was already trying that. icon_smile.gif Unfortunately the trail gets very faint before Rusty Da Dog picks it up in WiIlliam Tell cache in Arkansas. Nobody before him mentions dropping it off. I guess you COULD hope it was someone who at least logged online, and back track thru all the previous finders logs, but I just not THAT bored

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Good luck.

I was bored, so I was already trying that. icon_smile.gif Unfortunately the trail gets very faint before Rusty Da Dog picks it up in WiIlliam Tell cache in Arkansas. Nobody before him mentions dropping it off. I guess you COULD hope it was someone who at least logged online, and back track thru all the previous finders logs, but I just not THAT bored

Looks like Donald got his start Here.

I love these pre-bug travelers, just wish some of them had a better way to track them, even if just a free geocities homepage. I did see one that actually has its own account here. The traveler logs each cache its in. Not sure just how "legit" this is, but surely no worse then a sockpuppet account. This way its easy to follow the traveler on its adventures, as well as contact the owner thru geocaching.com. Maybe an idea for some of the other pre-bug hitchhikers out there

I don't look at the forums often enough, so I was surprised to see something that related to me when I checked just now. Before the Official Travel Bug procedure started, I distributed 20 mini-Barbies and 10 other small characters (such as Donald Duck in a sombrero) as hitchhikers in my own caches plus caches in Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Georgia. That was approximately one year and 500 caches ago. Each was packaged with it's own logsheet and a request to report in to DSsaysHi@aol.com periodically. Many people have.

My address has been DSsaysHi@aol.com since way before I joined Geocaching.com so I do not know why there were difficulties in reaching me. I did receive a very pleasant e-mail from the Green Team this week. (Thanks to BruceS for his good detective work).

Here is the e-mail answer I sent to the Green Team:

Fantastic report. Thanks. I am envious of that duck! I started 20 mini-Barbies and 10 other figures before the official Travel Bug concept began (about one year ago). So, I am dependent on considerate people (like you) to report in occasionally. Currently I have one report from Canada, 1 from CA, two from AZ, one from FL, one from CO, and now yours. Most of the others are within 200 miles of here (Louisville, KY). Of the 30, I have heard from 21 of them now.

Thanks

Darrell

DSsaysHi@aol.com

SHOW ME THE CACHE

quote:
Originally posted by Show Me the Cache:

My address has been DSsaysHi@aol.com since way before I joined Geocaching.com so I do not know why there were difficulties in reaching me.

Looking at the original message, it appears the email address tried was "DsaysHi@aol.com"; an easy mistake to make.

Spiders taste like chicken.