Trapping Sage grouse using a GPS

I work as a reservist for the Idaho Fish & Game. For the last two years I have been trapping sage grouse at night for the last three years. We trap the birds and put radio collars on them and leg bands. I have been lost every time I go out for the first two years. The desert I go to is huge and since we trap them at night and off road, well like I said I was lost and so was every one I was with. This year I got a Garmin Etrex camo. I practiced with it a bunch geo-caching. When I went out to trap this year things were a lot different. I got the locations of the leks from the F&G. I knew right where they were. I was able to do my job better because I wasn't worried about being lost all the time. I worked with four other guys that had not used them before. These guys were hooked. After we were out for several hours I would ask them which way to the truck? no one EVER got it right.

Do any of you use your GPS's for work?

Interesting job. We hike a few times a year in the Twin Falls canyone. The worst 'lost' we ever were was when we went to find Devil's Corall. We found it and took a shortcut back. It was strange knowing the general direction of the rig, but also knowing that there was no way mini canyones should be between us and the rig. To top it off we had cell service and the wives kept calling. "When are you coming home?" "We are lost, we don't know when we will be coming home!" Several hours later and many detours and lots of calls "Are you unlost yet?" we made it back and lo and behold the rig was where we had thought it was. I would not trade that hike for anything. We actually found areas of the Canyone that people just didn't get to (maybe because they have the sence to not take a shortcut).

But as far as work goes. Nope, don't use mine for that. Though with routing, I probably will to find a clients office on occasion.

Yep, use it for work a couple ways,

Plugged into MS Streets & Trips when in other cities, find customers offices and closest hotels,

When planning or installing or troubleshooting some of the equipment we manufacture for the utility industry (gas/phone/water) it is very handy to have exact distances amd to make maps for future reference

To keep me amused on flights too short to have a movie icon_wink.gif

Yep, use it for work a couple ways,

Plugged into MS Streets & Trips when in other cities, find customers offices and closest hotels,

When planning or installing or troubleshooting some of the equipment we manufacture for the utility industry (gas/phone/water) it is very handy to have exact distances amd to make maps for future reference

To keep me amused on flights too short to have a movie icon_wink.gif

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I have been trapping sage grouse at night for the last three years. We trap the birds and put radio collars on them and leg bands"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why wouldn't you just leave the birds alone?

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif