Terminology proposal

Baluda

Hmmm... Geocacher... it kinda sounds familiar... it rolls off the tongue easily...

I vote YES to geocacher!! cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Welcome to the forums Baluda! Take all of us with a large grain of salt!

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

I was thinking Cachahunter, but now that you all have brought up Geocacher, I kind of like that on better. Kudos to whomever thought of it. Very original!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Can't go with letterboxer cause its just plain weird sounding...

Now we need a name to call people who are not Cacheteers or Geocachers....

hmmm....

Hey, I got it!!

How about Muggles??

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Baluda:

Being new to geocaching I found that there is no term for those who hunt geocaches (that's us). I propose the term _Cacheteer_, it has a nice adventurous ring to it.

How about it?

Geocacher has already been around a few years. I don't see any real burning need to come up with a new term to replace it.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
How about Muggles??

Yet another reason to despise That Boy & His Creator: they brought into common usage a stupid word like that.

I prefer to refer to non-cachers as "infidels." Or, "the unenlightened."

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

Yet another reason to despise That Boy & His Creator: they brought into common usage a stupid word like _that_.

Well, its good to see that I'm not alone but its too bad that the "stupid word" has started to take hold already. icon_frown.gif

On that note and on the 'cacher' not I think we were very creative and called them, hold on, get this, sit down: NON-CACHER(S)

I think fuzz is right and its the "rage". icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

As funny as this was reading all the responses for a "term for those who hunt geocaches," aren't you guys being a little harsh on a newbie? I mean obviously a newbie with no common sense icon_biggrin.gif, but a newbie nonetheless. (sp?)

Anyway, my vote goes to, the genius who came up with "geocacher" I think it's going to start a geocaching geocacher revolution. (Cue corny superhero music) icon_biggrin.gif

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by K-9CacheSeekers:

As funny as this was reading all the responses for a "term for those who hunt geocaches," aren't you guys being a little harsh on a newbie? I mean obviously a newbie with no common sense, but a newbie nonetheless. (sp?)

You only get a free pass in the Getting Started section. icon_biggrin.gif

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I'm a cacher, you're a cacher, wouldn't you like to be a cacher, too?

Non cachers need a name that really describes them. I like enfanta's "infidels" and "unenlightened". How about a short name like PODS or something (people only day strolling, people only doing something, people out doing stuff, people out disturbing space) fill in the blanks.

If you don't like my idea, can I have my 2 cents back?

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I was caching in the 7-11 the other day. It seems that the police have named that "shoplifting".

My cellmate is nice though, and he is really anxious to start caching, because all he talks about to me is "da booty". Add another to our sport!

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

I was caching in the 7-11 the other day. It seems that the police have named that "shoplifting".

My cellmate is nice though, and he is really anxious to start caching, because all he talks about to me is "da booty". Add another to our sport!

Try hunting caches in a neighbor's house when they aren't home. Much less likelihood of being interrupted by muggles. Didn't the Manson family start the whole caching thing, only I think they called it "Creepy-Crawling?"

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

quote:
Originally posted by Don&Betty:

Since a "cacher" is one who places a cache, so a "geocacher" would be one who places a geocache, then what does one call a person who seeks the cache, a "geocachee"?

If you place something in the cache, you are in the act of caching. If you TNLN, perhaps you're a geoslacker?

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!