Don't let yourselves be seen!

Rubbertoe

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

I went to a Cache that I had already found in a fairly remote area to place a travel bug. Directly in front of the cache was a guy doing Tai-Chi. I asked my brother how long the Thi-CHi routines usually take. "Could be all day" he replied. So we turned and looked out over he water for a few minutes. "I don't have all day" I told my brother as I turned around, stared at the guy and sat on a rock still staring at him. It took about three minutes before he walked off to his car and left. All done, the coast is clear.

The Tai Chi guy was probably a fellow geocacher, trying to 'blend in' while waiting for YOU to clear the area. icon_razz.gif When he saw that wasn't going to work, he was finally forced to clear out of the area, and go home to log a Not Found. icon_biggrin.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

I went to a Cache that I had already found in a fairly remote area to place a travel bug. Directly in front of the cache was a guy doing Tai-Chi. I asked my brother how long the Thi-CHi routines usually take. "Could be all day" he replied. So we turned and looked out over he water for a few minutes. "I don't have all day" I told my brother as I turned around, stared at the guy and sat on a rock still staring at him. It took about three minutes before he walked off to his car and left. All done, the coast is clear.

The Tai Chi guy was probably a fellow geocacher, trying to 'blend in' while waiting for YOU to clear the area. icon_razz.gif When he saw that wasn't going to work, he was finally forced to clear out of the area, and go home to log a Not Found. icon_biggrin.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Now I just have to ask, Why should anyone have to “blend”? Are we doing something illegal or immoral that we need to hide? I’ve even seen posts where people say they hold their GPSr like a cell phone and pretend to carry on a conversation.

Yeah, I never hide the fact that I've got a GPS or that I am apparently scanning or looking for something. The only time that I get sneaky is when I've actually found the cache - and while I am retrieving and replacing it. People can know what I'm doing if they want, or if they ask - it might just encourage them to get involved. I just try to keep the final location as much of a secret as I can.

quote:
The only time you want to avoid being seen is when you’re pulling the container out of the weeds. Other than that, hold your GPSr out in front of you, stare blankly at the display, and make lots of little sharp turns. Anyone who sees you will think you’re a lunatic.

Actually, I tend to look as unapproachable as possible when geocaching. I'm not doing this stuff as a way to mingle with strangers... I'm nice to people if they DO ask me, but I try to avoid interaction with the humans if at all possible. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:

Now I just have to ask, Why should anyone have to “blend”? Are we doing something illegal or immoral that we need to hide? I’ve even seen posts where people say they hold their GPSr like a cell phone and pretend to carry on a conversation.

Yeah, I never hide the fact that I've got a GPS or that I am apparently scanning or looking for something. The only time that I get sneaky is when I've actually found the cache - and while I am retrieving and replacing it. People can know what I'm doing if they want, or if they ask - it might just encourage them to get involved. I just try to keep the final location as much of a secret as I can.

quote:
The only time you want to avoid being seen is when you’re pulling the container out of the weeds. Other than that, hold your GPSr out in front of you, stare blankly at the display, and make lots of little sharp turns. Anyone who sees you will think you’re a lunatic.

Actually, I tend to look as unapproachable as possible when geocaching. I'm not doing this stuff as a way to mingle with strangers... I'm nice to people if they DO ask me, but I try to avoid interaction with the humans if at all possible. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of putting on an orange vest and pretending to be a surveyor. Although this would seem to contradict my position of NOT hiding what I’m doing. But if you look like a surveyor you could just walk right into the girls locker room and nobody would say a thing.

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

Although this would seem to contradict my position of NOT hiding what I’m doing. But if you look like a surveyor you could just walk right into the girls locker room and nobody would say a thing.

It's been said that anyone with a clipboard and a hardhat is able to go anywhere.

I can only tell you that they few times I've tried it, it's worked. I bet it would work best if there were two of you.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

It's been said that anyone with a clipboard and a hardhat is able to go anywhere.

I can only tell you that they few times I've tried it, it's worked.

This is *so* true. Back when I was shepherding five kids through life, I carried a clipboard with a list of who needed to be where when, groceries, homework due, etc. No matter where we were (and however many kids might be tugging on my at the time), people thought I was the one in charge.

Give me a big enough clipboard and I can rule the world

Now, I rely on my appearance--I look like a normal middled-aged female. No one expects such a person to be scurrying through the underbrush seeking treasure boxes....

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

Taking a nod from Anders and his leopard geo-suit, I tried a new technique. Go night-caching dressed as batman (or Bat-cacher). If anyone should stumble across you they will assume that you have every right to be there and are probably just fighting crime or something. Law enforcement officials love super-heros.

This is wrong, just so wrong. I just can't stop laughing. Now I want one of those outfits.

If you're ever in NJ, make sure you stop by the Bat Cave

----------

I will prepare food with my iron fist!

Then I will work my way up to ruling you all with my fist!

I ran into this old (im talking late eighties early nineties) guy walking around when I was looking for a cache. He lights up a cigarette, (i sure hope i can walk around like that when im at his age) and kinda looks at me and asks me what im doing. So I tell him what I'm up to, and how this thing in my hand works. He shows me his watch, which updates to the atomic clock signals, tells me how it changed from zone to zone as he flew to las vegas. So he asks me if I know where this thing is, and I point to this large bushy area and say somewhere in there. He laughs and says thats too much for him, he'll stick to walking.

hehe

-zr

-----

If it ain't broke, I can *fix* that...

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Well, Zartimus, would you feel happier if you met the one pictured in that avatar, perhaps? The suit is mine, but the face isn't.

Caroline looks better in it, I think... icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

I always thought that was you! Too lowres to tell. Caroline who? Anders, you're an Enigma!

I need more information! Next thing you know, you'll have Mitsuko's face on there!

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Well, Zartimus, would you feel happier if you met the one pictured in that avatar, perhaps? The suit is mine, but the face isn't.

Caroline looks better in it, I think... icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

I always thought that was you! Too lowres to tell. Caroline who? Anders, you're an Enigma!

I need more information! Next thing you know, you'll have Mitsuko's face on there!