ARE THE FORUMS BETTER NOW?

sept1c_tank

A little more than 3 weeks ago, Jeremy said:

quote:
posted October 10, 2003 04:57 PM

With great disappointment, we have removed the use of tags from sig lines.

...many complaints about the effect that sig lines have to a discussion. Slow download times on modems, distracting sig lines that affect the ongoing conversations...

In your opinion, how has that decision affected the forums?

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

As a lynx user, I am not affected by IMG tags (and I believe users of graphical browsers can switch off didplaying images too, if theya re annoyed by them). On the other hand, the forums are slower or inaccessible lately, maybe because of server overload by complaints about the IMG tags ban?

Czech caching in US.

Kirk: I need more bandwidth Scotty!!

Scotty: I'm givin ya all she's got Capn!

Kirk: Bones, tweak that server!

McCoy: Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a programmer.

Spock: There seems to be a corolation between the number of users and the speed of the website....Interesting indeed.

Voice of Invader: We are MSNcaching.com...resistance is futile.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

sorry about the instability.

I just remembered that about two years ago, I farmed out one of my 333mhz celerons to Infopop for use as a UBB server.

I logged in to the box yesterday, and lo and behold, infopop has the Groundspeak forums running on it.

My cats like to walk across the $69 UPS that powers the thing.

quote:
Originally posted by BadAndy:

Spock: There seems to be a corolation between the number of users and the speed of the website....Interesting indeed.

I used to think this, but then I started watching the numbers of "members" and "guests" signed onto the forums, and have noticed NO DIFFERENCE whether 200 people are using the forums or 20 people; the server hangs both ways.

Is this forum using one of InfoPop's "shared servers?" If it is, whoever we are sharing it with must be hogging access to it.

I'm glad Jeremy was proactive. As slow as the forums have been recently without the img tags, I hate to think how bad it would be with them!

And I bet if we all stopped talking about reasonable alternatives to the current virtual and vacation cache policies, the forums would zing along faster than ever. icon_biggrin.gif

worldtraveler

sept1c_tank,

I would say you have no one to blame but yourself. You keep posting photos of me with huge hair. Do you know how much bandwidth it takes to continually load those images? icon_biggrin.gif

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

sept1c_tank,

I would say you have no one to blame but yourself. You keep posting photos of me with huge hair. Do you know how much bandwidth it takes to continually load those images? icon_biggrin.gif

About half as long as it'd take to tease hair up that high, I'd wager... icon_wink.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

About half as long as it'd take to tease hair up that high, I'd wager... icon_wink.gif

Joel (joefrog)

tease my hair??? icon_confused.gif Geocaching gives me that look naturally surprise.gif

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

...tease my hair??? icon_confused.gif Geocaching gives me that look naturally surprise.gif

<stage whisper> Any bets on how long it's gonna take before she declares herself off-topic and locks this thread down? icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and just to keeps THIS reply ON topic, it took a looooong time for the reply screen to come up.

worldtraveler

Right now, the forums are flying...reply windows and everything.

Of course, they were just down and out for like 15-30 minutes (that I was trying, at least)...so I'm not sure the trade-off is going to work out.

In the meantime, it's not because of any dumb pictures obviously.

--

Arrr, there be smurfs ta smurf.

Do you really think slow download times is the reason behind removing the images from sig lines?

And do you think it was done "with great disappointment"?

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

A little more than 3 weeks ago, Jeremy said:

quote:
posted October 10, 2003 04:57 PM

With great disappointment, we have removed the use of tags from sig lines.

...many complaints about the effect that sig lines have to a discussion. Slow download times on modems, distracting sig lines that affect the ongoing conversations...

_In your opinion, how has that decision affected the forums?_

Where did people get the impression that pictures from external servers were slowing the forums down? Nobody at Groundspeak ever said that, as far as I know.

I find the forums much more readable without all the nonsense fluff everyone was putting in. I think the elimination of the pictures was a very positive step.

I have not noticed any difference but haven't really looked.I think they run fine for me anyway.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

If I'm experiencing slowness, it's usually on your end. I'm on OC3, or whatever the newest baddest system there is. (not a techno geek) My company is continually upgrading our internet power. I'm gonna really have to slow down when I get a cable connection at home. tongue.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

WWJD For a Klondike bar?

I've noticed less lag than usual, but it does still bog down at times. Maybe the "premium members" should have a 2mb space to upload some small pics to keep them happy?

I'm on a T1, and other sites load just fine when the forum doesn't. Growing pains, I suppose?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Alchemist:

since most people put the img tag at the bottom of their post. so although it isnt a sig its still there loading.

That's interesting. I don't see one image at the bottom of any of the posts in this thread. Are you seeing things?

The only thing still being used are the smilies.

My own experience is that, the forums don't load any faster. And often, they seem even slower.

quote:
I started watching the numbers of "members" and "guests" signed onto the forums, and have noticed NO DIFFERENCE whether 200 people are using the forums or 20 people; the server hangs both ways.

I, too, have been watching that, and I can detect no difference by volume of users.

quote:
You keep posting photos of me with huge hair. Do you know how much bandwidth it takes to continually load those images?

Hydee, I love your big, red locks. Will you send me one? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
I don't see one image at the bottom of any of the posts in this thread.

Look at the bottom of this post. (While you're at it, see if this thread loads any slower now!) icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
I find the forums much more readable without all the nonsense fluff everyone was putting in. I think the elimination of the pictures was a very positive step.

I disagree.

bad_boy_a.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Look at the bottom of this post. (While you're at it, see if this thread loads any slower now!) icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, it did. Also, it kinda messed the otherwise nice layout of your post.icon_biggrin.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Finally! I have not been able to login to the forums all day. Just as I send an email to FixTheseDarnLoginProblems@Groundspeak.com, my other browser window gets logged in. Of course, I find this thread first and want to reply. Over a minute after pressing the reply button, I am able to type my reply. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I'm on a T-1 connection at work and have wasted all of my break time today trying to get on here! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif If I had an outdoor-type job, I would have been caching instead, but I work in a cleanroom. Hard to get satellite coverage in here, but we have lots of computers!

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

Access to the forums over the last couple of days has been so bad that I've had to resort to working while I'm at work! icon_mad.gif

I guess its one way to keep us troublemakers at bay. icon_wink.gif

Gorak

I love frogs. They taste like chicken. Yum.

"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been passionate, rebellious, and immature." --Tom Robbins

NOTICE!!

THIS TOPIC WAS STARTED BEFORE THE CURRENT SLOWDOWN/CRASH OF THE FORUMS.

In order to get valid opinions about the policy change mentioned on the first post of this thread, you should refrain from allowing the current situation in the forums to opinionate any responses.

However, if it seems to you, impossible to post, difficult to log in, or maybe just a "tough nut to crack," feel free to vent in this thread, (if you've got an hour or two to kill! icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

bad_boy_a.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

It has been so bad, I think the moderators are having trouble logging in. Did you see how long the "tree crotch" post survived?

I think it lasted for around 3 or 4 hours, but the last I saw, there were only 7 posts and maybe 30 or 40 views.

At that rate, if it takes a moderator 30 minutes to login now, it would be the same as a topic (off color) lasting only 20 minutes with a post every 3 minutes.

That's about right for a post like that. bad_boy_a.gif

I tried to log in...went to Blockbuster to return a video (RT of about 5 miles) and came back and still wasn't logged in.

One of my earlier posts, I was able to take a shower and come back to the PC and the post was still sitting there waiting.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

With the amount of users, the bandwidth bill has got to be huge. My own usage probably exceeds the 3 bucks a month I pay. For basically a free service, How much more can a person expect. Eventually, I think we can expect higher fees or substantial commercial advertising to keep this boat afloat.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"