Show all geocaches on one map

Guest k2dave

Guest k2dave

I want to know if there is a way for us to see on a map (as opposed to a list) where all the geocaches are in relationship to a state/zip/etc.

If not - I would like to suggest that - Possibly with those red stars that shows single geocaches maybe with numbers next to them showing difficultity/terrain (i.e. 2,3). And make them clickable to bring up the description page.

------------------

Guest Artful Dodger

Red dots are older placed caches and blue dots are ... tah dah! newer caches. I dont know what the timeframe is until a blue dot changes to a red dot.

Guest jeremy

Don't know about the other maps, but mine are listed new (green) if they're less than 7 days old. The data is generated from a shapefile that is created every 10 minutes.

I may offer shapefiles of all the caches if a GIS person is interested in building mapping applications with the data. Contact me if you're interested.

Jeremy

Guest robamy

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Here's a map of the world with all the geocaches listed -

Is it possible to make the maps bigger? I know I can zoom in but it would be nice if the maps where larger.

Guest arffer

Jeremy,

I asked our website design department what the most common screen resolution is, and the response as of July 11 2001 is:

800x600 - 51%

1024x768 - 35%

640x480 - 4%

other - 10%

according to industry analysts (thecounter.com)

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 11 July 2001).]

Guest Ron Streeter

New maps and features look good. With 4 click options it looks like a lot is covered. Takes a bit for redraw, but what the heck.

Ron

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

How large? I need to set a standard. As I understand, 600x800 is about the average screen size for folks.

Jeremy

600x800 is standard? Wow. No wonder I have so much green border around the geocaching.com pages ;~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Chef:

600x800 is standard? Wow. No wonder I have so much green border around the geocaching.com pages ;~)

The site should expand based on your screen size (except the front page).

Jeremy

Guest robamy

quote:

How large? I need to set a standard. As I understand, 600x800 is about the average screen size for folks.

I was just talking about the "map" part nothing else. Maybe have the map come up on a seperate page, without the standard buttons on the left. Just an idea nothing else.

FYI my screen res is 1024X768

Rob

Guest rusty

Jeremy,

I was a skeptic when this whole map issue started but the maps are coming along quite well. I don't live in Calif but I checked it out and like the features. Having it click off sites you've visited is a cool feature too. I'll be watching for Michigan.

Rusty...

Guest guerroloco

Since the map is in beta, are you soliciting comments?

I found that when in "identify" mode, you have to click exactly in the center of the tiny circle to get the pop-up name -- no margin of error. Why does it say "Washington State" in the upper left corner? Also, some caches appear to be mis-located; for example, "Russian Novelty" appears in the middle of the Atlantic, southwest of Iceland, not in St. Petersburg.

Guest Peter Scholtz

Jeremy,

You mentioned some time back that we could assist with shape files to increase the resolution of the new maps, if I recall right?

Can we help with adding details by creating shape files for you? How would we go about doing that?

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest bunkerdave

Is there any plan to make the "Identify" just pop up whe you place your pointer over a cache? Is possible with this? I know nothing about this type of thing, and I really like all the new features, esp. how it shows what I have found. Looks like it's time to get a little farther from home. icon_smile.gif

Guest bunkerdave

Is there any plan to make the "Identify" just pop up whe you place your pointer over a cache? Is possible with this? I know nothing about this type of thing, and I really like all the new features, esp. how it shows what I have found. Looks like it's time to get a little farther from home. icon_smile.gif

Guest barefoot

Jeremy-

When you say shapefiles, are you talking specifically about ESRI stuff? Or are you using the term loosely? Are you using ArcIMS for your mapping ap? Just curious...I'm a GIS dood and this stuff is my bread and butter.

Guest jeremy

Here's South Africa, Peter.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/southafrica.asp

I can basically add new shapefiles depending on the zoomlevel. Doing it that way makes it load faster since these are generated on the fly. It's also not the $k ArcIMS product I'm using so I'm worried about whether it will handle stress well.

Yes, they are ArcView Shapefiles. I have a program that updates 2 shapefiles every 10 minutes. One has the older caches, one has the new ones (less than 7 days old), and I generate a third if you're logged in that has all your caches found.

If you have shapefiles of certain areas (mostly roads are best, but water bodies are good too), feel free to send them my way.

Check out this page to see what happens when you have lots of good shapefiles -

Washington (been playing with this the most)

http://www.geocaching.com/map/wa.asp

Continue to zoom in to an area and you'll see the water bodies as you get closer.

And to answer the last question, I can create an additional page that allows you to hover over the map to see the cache names. Unfortunately the click to zoom feature and the imagemap doesn't work well together.

Jeremy

Guest Artful Dodger

Jeremy,

Is it possible to use the Left and Right buttons of the mouse to Zoom In/Out respectively when clicking on the map?

Just a thought....

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:

Jeremy, this looks great! Well done!

Request: A zoom factor would help.

Offer to Help: Can we help add local content/details?

Going Live: I also agree this looks good enough to go live. How about showing a map at the top of country search result, and, show a small zoomed map on cache details page (Sure you know this already icon_smile.gif)

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:

Jeremy, this looks great! Well done!

Request: A zoom factor would help.

Offer to Help: Can we help add local content/details?

Going Live: I also agree this looks good enough to go live. How about showing a map at the top of country search result, and, show a small zoomed map on cache details page (Sure you know this already icon_smile.gif)

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest zilla

A ferw comments..

1:Are all the atates available yet? 2: Is there a link somewhere? I searched all over the site for a link. 3: How aboput some state/province boundaries on the map?

Otherwise it's shaping up

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

I asked our website design department what the most common screen resolution is, and the response as of July 11 2001 is:

800x600 - 51%

1024x768 - 35%

640x480 - 4%

other - 10%

Yes, 800x600 is about average, but good design dictates that you should design the page to work on the lowest resolution screens (and at all of the higher resolutions too).

I usually use a machine with a maximum resolution of 640x480 while surfing, so you can imagine what a pain it is trying to view sites with buttons that are outside the boundary of the screen.

The tendancy for people to design their pages for too higher resolution is very common. For example, a few years ago, I did a course on multimedia and design. As part of the course groups of students were required to design a web page. Some of the groups decided that they would design their page to work only on 1024x768 or greater ("because everyone used at least this resolution", did they?). That seems to be the general perception, but don't forget, even though us 640x480 people make up only only 4%, we still get annoyed when we are forced to scroll from side to side to read a block of text.

That's enough ranting for today. icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

800x600 - 51%

1024x768 - 35%

640x480 - 4%

other - 10%

Yes, 800x600 is about average, but good design dictates that you should design the page to work on the lowest resolution screens (and at all of the higher resolutions too).

I usually use a machine with a maximum resolution of 640x480 while surfing, so you can imagine what a pain it is trying to view sites with buttons that are outside the boundary of the screen.

The tendancy for people to design their pages for too higher resolution is very common. For example, a few years ago, I did a course on multimedia and design. As part of the course groups of students were required to design a web page. Some of the groups decided that they would design their page to work only on 1024x768 or greater ("because everyone used at least this resolution", did they?). That seems to be the general perception, but don't forget, even though us 640x480 people make up only only 4%, we still get annoyed when we are forced to scroll from side to side to read a block of text.

That's enough ranting for today. icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest leskowitz

quote:
Originally posted by Artful Dodger:

Until Jeremy gets his maps up and running, I suggest you look at Buxley's fine geocaching maps at: Buxley's Maps

You know that your are listing sites that have been archived too, right?