Pet Peeve: Cache Containers that are too small

Pharmadude

I was out of town on Saturday and found 8 caches in the area I was visiting. Almost without exception, the caches were in containers that were too small to hold what I would consider (in my totally unbiased opinion!) an average cache supply. In most cases I had to carefully adjust, nest, weave, and stuff the contents back in, and use considerable force to get the lid back on. In one case, I found a cache with some of the contents sitting on top of the container! I had to leave it the same way.

These were not "microcaches": I have no problem with microcaches. I just feel that for regular caches, people ought to use a little foresight (or optimism?) and assume that the cache might grow in size after the initial placement.

There! It's off my chest.

I feel better now

I have seen the same. I also feel that no matter how big of a container you have, if it's popular, it will burst at the seams with Mctoys and whatnots. If I come across an overstuffed cache, I take one or two items out to ensure there is a good seal when I leave. But above all... don't forget it's a game. Have fun!

I'd say that unless you have the cache owner's permission that you should not go about replacing container's.

That said, I've ended up taking more items than I wanted to because they wouldn't fit into the cache. Once I found a DVD sitting next to the cache that had been there for a few weeks!! The paper insert was a little warped but the disc plays fine.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by Pharmadude:

These were not "microcaches": I have no problem with microcaches. I just feel that for regular caches, people ought to use a little foresight (or optimism?) and assume that the cache might grow in size after the initial placement.

And what exactly is a "regular" cache? I have a couple 20mm ammo cans, is that regular enough? Please enlighten us on what a regular cache should be.

I wouldn't replace a container without the cache owner's permission, but the larger the container, the better I like it. There's been a few caches that I planned to put a Spinning Wildly geocaching music CD in, but when I found it, the container was too small. They got something small and cheap instead.

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

I used to say I preferred bigger containers for the reason meantioned but I've found some of the more clever hides to be ones with smaller containers (not necessarily micros). I'd hate to see someone pass up a really cool hiding spot just because it wouldn't fit a large ammo can. We've learned to keep a variety of different sized trade items with us.

I used small containers for a recent series of caches but stated the container size on the cache description. I've thought about placing some highlighted text emphasizing the necessity of small trade items but haven't yet.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
I used to say I preferred bigger containers for the reason mentioned but I've found some of the more clever hides to be ones with smaller containers (not necessarily micros). I'd hate to see someone pass up a really cool hiding spot just because it wouldn't fit a large ammo can. We've learned to keep a variety of different sized trade items with us.

That's generally my solution too. Sometimes though, the 'perfect' trade item just won't fit.

I also agree that some good spots demand a smaller container, but not always. And it certainly wasn't the case in most of the overflow situations I ran into on the weekend.

There are only Micro and Standard (well, and Other) that seem to apply to most physical caches. I have no problems with caches of varying sizes. I always take items of various sizes with me. If I place a cache of the 3" tub variety, I describe it as such in the long description and say that only small items such as superballs and the like will fit. Seems like that is all that is needed.

--Marky icon_cool.gif

There are only Micro and Standard (well, and Other) that seem to apply to most physical caches. I have no problems with caches of varying sizes. I always take items of various sizes with me. If I place a cache of the 3" tub variety, I describe it as such in the long description and say that only small items such as superballs and the like will fit. Seems like that is all that is needed.

--Marky icon_cool.gif

I have a cache in a 50 cal ammo box, which is a good sized cache container. When I placed it it was well stocked, but there was plenty of room. The latest log mentioned that it was packed really tight.

Another cache of mine is rather small and was purposely packed tight. It was in one of those retired D-con boxes (a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes). The last finder complained that

it was too full, but "left a geocoin and took nothing".

I know we're supposed to take an item and leave another, but if you do find a cache box that is way too full, then I say go ahead and take a fewitems, or be a good egg and take something large, even if you don't want it.

It also helps if the cache owner describes the size of the cache on the page, so finders know what size tradeables to bring along

I think it would help if there were a cache size somewhere between "Micro" and "Regular." The current descriptions pretty much make anything bigger than an Altoids box "Regular." Maybe there should be a "mini" size cache, bigger than an Altoids tin, but smaller than a 1.5-liter container or a small ammo can.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kingsman:

...I have seen the same. I also feel that no matter how big of a container you have, if it's popular, it will burst at the seams with Mctoys and whatnots. If I come across an overstuffed cache, I take one or two items out to ensure there is a good seal when I leave. But above all... don't forget it's a game. Have fun!...

A practical and apropos response. My sentiments exactly!

It's the natural evelotion. People will generally place the bigger cache exchange item if it will fit because the next cache might need the smaller one.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave