We need to come up with a name for the items in the caches, or is there one already

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

I have seen them called trinkets and things like that but is there an official name for the items in a bin.

If not, then there should be an "official" name for them that we can put in the glossary, you know like loot, booty nuggets etc....any suggestions?

_The KGB_ http://www.garmin.com/graphics/guy.gif

Ok, BootyNuggets is cool, but I really like the Aussie, swag. Or is that only while it's still in your pack?

Bluespreacher

"Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,

Under the shade of a coolibah tree,

And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled, Who'll come a-waltzing, Matilda, with me?"

well other Aussies can chime in but I don't think Swag is suitable. A swag is a bedroll that you sleep in. A "Swagman", by definition carries his belongings rolled into a swag.

These days you can have a 'swag' of stuff, but the swag means several, not the actual stuff. You could have a swag of trinkets, or a swag of GPSr's icon_smile.gif

Inside a tupperware container you find trickets, McHappy meal toys, junk, not a swag.

More info on Waltzing Matilda not that you would probably care.

So what was wrong with 'trinkets'?

"Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,

Under the shade of a coolibah tree,

And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled, Who'll come a-waltzing, Matilda, with me?"

well other Aussies can chime in but I don't think Swag is suitable. A swag is a bedroll that you sleep in. A "Swagman", by definition carries his belongings rolled into a swag.

These days you can have a 'swag' of stuff, but the swag means several, not the actual stuff. You could have a swag of trinkets, or a swag of GPSr's icon_smile.gif

Inside a tupperware container you find trickets, McHappy meal toys, junk, not a swag.

More info on Waltzing Matilda not that you would probably care.

So what was wrong with 'trinkets'?

check out #2...

swag   Pronunciation Key  (swg)

n.

a. An ornamental drapery or curtain draped in a curve between two points.

b. An ornamental festoon of flowers or fruit.

c. A carving or plaster molding of such an ornament.

2. Slang. Stolen property; loot.

3. Australian. The pack or bundle containing the personal belongings of a swagman.

4. Slang. Herbal tea in a plastic sandwich bag sold as marijuana to an unsuspecting customer.

quote:
Originally posted by hgmonaro:

"

A swag is a bedroll that you sleep in. A "Swagman", by definition carries his belongings rolled into a swag.

Actuall, I have never heard "swag" mean a bedroll. I hear swag (also spelled and prnounced as "schwag") very often at mountain bike races. It is the free stuff they give away, or throw out to the crowd. (I got $200 worth of swag at a race this weekend!) I looked "swag" up in the thesaurus and it gave me this:

"loot, booty, plunder, haul, contraband, spoils"

So when one refers to "Geoswag", he does not mean a sleeping bag hidden in a cache, but trinckets, McHappy meal toys, junk, all aslo know as "swag", or the loot, booty, plunder, and spoils.

So put my vote in for "goeswag"

icon_cool.gif

The Mountain Bike Guy.

quote:
Originally posted by hgmonaro:

"

A swag is a bedroll that you sleep in. A "Swagman", by definition carries his belongings rolled into a swag.

Actuall, I have never heard "swag" mean a bedroll. I hear swag (also spelled and prnounced as "schwag") very often at mountain bike races. It is the free stuff they give away, or throw out to the crowd. (I got $200 worth of swag at a race this weekend!) I looked "swag" up in the thesaurus and it gave me this:

"loot, booty, plunder, haul, contraband, spoils"

So when one refers to "Geoswag", he does not mean a sleeping bag hidden in a cache, but trinckets, McHappy meal toys, junk, all aslo know as "swag", or the loot, booty, plunder, and spoils.

So put my vote in for "goeswag"

icon_cool.gif

The Mountain Bike Guy.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:Booty nuggets seem slightly off icon_razz.gif

It seems more than slightly off to me... please forgive the graphic description, I'm a mom to a toddler, so much is just taken in stride...

Somehow, as my child began to talk, the word "pooty" (rhymes with booty) became the word of choice for excrement. And particularly as she began potty-training, she disliked pooty diapers or having to sit on the potty to pooty. So much so that she'd often create constipation, and when she did go it was likely to be quite firm chunks. Said chunks became known as:

Pooty Nuggets

Now that you've all heard way TMI, can you at least understand how I simply could never face what I expected to be a container full of "booty nuggets?" icon_redface.gif Eeewwww.

T-storm, who prefers "cachebait".

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:Booty nuggets seem slightly off icon_razz.gif

It seems more than slightly off to me... please forgive the graphic description, I'm a mom to a toddler, so much is just taken in stride...

Somehow, as my child began to talk, the word "pooty" (rhymes with booty) became the word of choice for excrement. And particularly as she began potty-training, she disliked pooty diapers or having to sit on the potty to pooty. So much so that she'd often create constipation, and when she did go it was likely to be quite firm chunks. Said chunks became known as:

Pooty Nuggets

Now that you've all heard way TMI, can you at least understand how I simply could never face what I expected to be a container full of "booty nuggets?" icon_redface.gif Eeewwww.

T-storm, who prefers "cachebait".

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

I cared enough to go check it out. Thanks for sending me in a direction I never would have thought to go! I have enjoyed several hours of reading websites I found after first viewing this site. icon_biggrin.gif

cool! glad you found something interesting! I've done the same at times. Sometimes we spend too much of our online time in our own bookmarks!

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

I cared enough to go check it out. Thanks for sending me in a direction I never would have thought to go! I have enjoyed several hours of reading websites I found after first viewing this site. icon_biggrin.gif

cool! glad you found something interesting! I've done the same at times. Sometimes we spend too much of our online time in our own bookmarks!

The dead moth suggests "Potlatch". From AOL's research:

1 : a ceremonial feast of the American Indians of the northwest coast marked by the host's lavish distribution of gifts or sometimes destruction of property to demonstrate wealth and generosity with the expectation of eventual reciprocation