Being in general area = find?

A few days ago some people found one of my caches

<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

cache_details.aspx?ID=30222>

and while they noted that they didn't 'find it' in their logs, they logged it as a 'found' cache anyway. They probably couldn've signed it very easily- the paper log IS wet and I've not had time to go change it yet.

I don't know if I should let it stand or if I should e-mail them aobut it. I don't like the idea of people logging finds just for being 'in the same general area' as the cache, but at the same time these people are new and I don't want to turn them off to geocaching either.

Any suggestions?

Matt

When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail. If you're going after Moby Dick, take along the tartar sauce.

-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

IMHO, it does not sound like a find. If they had said "unable to sign log because it was wet", then that would be fine, but the two logs in question clearly indicate they did not locate the cache.

Verify it's still there, maintain it if it needs work, and give them another chance to log it.

97740_3100.gif

"I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once." - Daniel Boone

Ive seen this also on some caches.

This is like getting MAYBE brand laundry detergent, that just might clean your clothes.

Best rule of thumb, for all:

If you can't find it, and see evidence that it was there, you can eMail a Jpeg of the site to the cache's owner. Also caches do get moved by cachers for some reason, because they think that it is better than where it was. I have found a couple caches of mine that were relocated some distance. Before posting to the cache page, I would eMail the owner first of the problem.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

I would email them explaining that you edited their "find" and changed it to a "note." Being new, they may not realize you can log a note without claiming a find. Even if you don't edit their entry, you should contact them and explain the difference between notes and finds.

Since when can cache owners edit the logs people leave?

Maybe you should e-mail them, stressing the importance of the DID NOT FIND feature on the site. The DNF feature lets cache owners know if there may be a problem with the cache, and lets others planning on hunting the cache in on a little information.

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

I recently ran into a situation here in Carson City where someone 'mistakenly' logged a FTF on a cache that they CLEARLY did not find. They DID officially and correctly log a FTF at another cache site, then posted the exact wordage verbatim at the wrong cache page. Then later they posted a note at the correct site page trying to straighten things out. Then THAT post disappeared. Meantime, the original incorrect post of a FTF remains at the first site page that was never visited in the first place by this geocacher. We've been to both physical sites and have read the logs so we know what we're talking about.

I sent a very polite email to this cacher explaining how the mistake was made and never heard a word back.

Um, honey, did you mark a waypoint for the car?

[This message was edited by T & G's Adventures on May 27, 2003 at 11:54 AM.]

On a related note, does finding the first stage of a multi = find?

I have been meaning to get to this cache so I put it on my watch list: Lord of the Rings

I have noticed that the last couple of logs are by people who found the first stage then stopped and still logged it as a find.

Like I said, I haven't done it (hopefully this weekend) so I don't know if there is a log book or something in the first stage, but in my opinion you haven't found a multi until you've found the last stage.

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

On a related note, does finding the first stage of a multi = find?

I have been meaning to get to this cache so I put it on my watch list: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=65172

I have noticed that the last couple of logs are by people who found the first stage then stopped and still logged it as a find.

Like I said, I haven't done it (hopefully this weekend) so I don't know if there is a log book or something in the first stage, but in my opinion you haven't found a multi until you've found the last stage.

I would say most emphatically, NO. What I do is post a note and keep it updated with my progress, than after the final cache is found, log a find, paste the text from my progress note into the Found log, and then delete the note.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio