Are we geeks?

breck_hiker

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

How to tell if you're a geek.

Have you ever played a role playing game? (D&D, Shadowrun, etc.) No

Have you ever memorized lines from a Sci Fi series? (Any of the Star Treks, Sliders, SG1, X Files, etc.) No

Have you ever dressed up as character from any Sci Fi movie or series, and it wasn't Halloween? No

Have you ever attended an event ending in the suffix "con"? No

Have you ever collected, or made your own medeival armor, then actually put it on? No

Have you ever completed any of the Final Fantasy video games, and consider it to be a feat worth boasting of at parties? No

Have you ever written a letter in a language that was never used by humans? No

Have you ever wished you'd go to sleep, and wake up in Middle Earth? No

Matthew 5:1-11

There are a few things I forgot to add to my list. icon_wink.gif

Have you ever talked about circuit components (transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.) at a party?

Have you ever carried more than one personal item in a belt pouch as opposed to your pocket? (multi tool, cell phone, pager, etc.)

Have you ever owned a calculator watch?

Have you ever built a homemade antenna for any purpose? (Aluminum foil and coat hangers don't count.)

Do you own more than one comic book that is newer that six months old?

Do your friends consider you the "go to guy" when they need to hook up that new VCR, stereo, or surround sound?

Do you have more than 3 remote controls to operate your home entertainment system?

Have you ever intentionally chosen a seat at the front of a classroom?

Have you ever waited more than 30 minutes in line to get movie tickets?

Have you ever been recognized as a regular customer at a coffee shop?

Just a few more to keep things going. icon_biggrin.gif By the way, I failed the test miserably. While I can't answer yes to all of the questions, I'm pretty sure I qualify for geek status.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

Have you ever talked about circuit components (transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.) at a party? No

Have you ever carried more than one personal item in a belt pouch as opposed to your pocket? (multi tool, cell phone, pager, etc.) Yes

Have you ever owned a calculator watch? No

Have you ever built a homemade antenna for any purpose? (Aluminum foil and coat hangers don't count.) What if I built one that included foil and coat hangers and it worked???

Do you own more than one comic book that is newer that six months old? Yes

Do your friends consider you the "go to guy" when they need to hook up that new VCR, stereo, or surround sound? Sometimes

Do you have more than 3 remote controls to operate your home entertainment system? Yes

Have you ever intentionally chosen a seat at the front of a classroom? Always

Have you ever waited more than 30 minutes in line to get movie tickets? Yes

Have you ever been recognized as a regular customer at a coffee shop? Yes

pika waving

Is it possible to be a redneck geek? I have played sports, hiked, camped, mountainbiked, kayaked and used firearms most of my life. I also HAPPEN to be a programmer. I must be some kind of mutant techno geek hillbilly.

Geocaching: Giving geeks all over the world a reason to go outside.

BTW, a TRUE geek would have 1 remote that controlled everything.

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

34.12229% - Total Geek

Have you ever talked about circuit components (transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.) at a party? YES

Have you ever carried more than one personal item in a belt pouch as opposed to your pocket? (multi tool, cell phone, pager, etc.) YES

Have you ever owned a calculator watch? NO

Have you ever built a homemade antenna for any purpose? (Aluminum foil and coat hangers don't count.) YES

Do you own more than one comic book that is newer that six months old? YES

Do your friends consider you the "go to guy" when they need to hook up that new VCR, stereo, or surround sound? YES

Do you have more than 3 remote controls to operate your home entertainment system? YES

Have you ever intentionally chosen a seat at the front of a classroom?YES

Have you ever waited more than 30 minutes in line to get movie tickets?NO

Have you ever been recognized as a regular customer at a coffee shop? NO

Just a few more to keep things going. By the way, I failed the test miserably. While I can't answer yes to all of the questions, I'm pretty sure I qualify for geek status.

Have you ever played a role playing game? (D&D, Shadowrun, etc.) YES,in 1982 ~ Told ya I was an OLD GEEK

Have you ever memorized lines from a Sci Fi series? (Any of the Star Treks, Sliders, SG1, X Files, etc.) No

Have you ever dressed up as character from any Sci Fi movie or series, and it wasn't Halloween? No

Have you ever collected, or made your own medeival armor, then actually put it on? No

Have you ever completed any of the Final Fantasy video games, and consider it to be a feat worth boasting of at parties? No

PART TWO:

Have you ever talked about circuit components (transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.) at a party? No, but have taken apart old broken items for the parts

Have you ever carried more than one personal item in a belt pouch as opposed to your pocket? (multi tool, cell phone, pager, etc.) Yes

Have you ever owned a calculator watch? Yes

Have you ever built a homemade antenna for any purpose? Yes and a radio receiver from stratch

Do you own more than one comic book that is newer that six months old? Yes and some that are older than 30 years

Do your friends consider you the "go to guy" when they need to hook up that new VCR, stereo, or surround sound? Guilty...also phone line and cable connections

Do you have more than 3 remote controls to operate your home entertainment system? Yes, 4 to be exact

Have you ever intentionally chosen a seat at the front of a classroom? Always

Have you ever waited more than 30 minutes in line to get movie tickets? No

Have you ever been recognized as a regular customer at a coffee shop? No

So does that make me about 50% GEEK? SOUTH GEORGIA...OH! that would be "High Tech Red Neck" per George Jones!

Bob ~

This is like deja vu all over again...

quote:

There are a few things I forgot to add to my list. icon_wink.gif

Have you ever talked about circuit components (transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.) at a party? Yes, if dive computers count

Have you ever owned a calculator watch? Yes

Have you ever built a homemade antenna for any purpose? (Aluminum foil and coat hangers don't count.) Yes

Do you own more than one comic book that is newer that six months old? No

Do your friends consider you the "go to guy" when they need to hook up that new VCR, stereo, or surround sound? Yes

Do you have more than 3 remote controls to operate your home entertainment system? No

Have you ever intentionally chosen a seat at the front of a classroom? Yes

Have you ever waited more than 30 minutes in line to get movie tickets? Yes

Have you ever been recognized as a regular customer at a coffee shop? Double yes!!!

Just a few more to keep things going. icon_biggrin.gif By the way, I failed the test miserably. While I can't answer yes to all of the questions, I'm pretty sure I qualify for geek status.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

Oh, it' worse than I thought...previously I just thought that I was a science nerd. The online test has me thinking otherwise:

47.14004% - Super Geek

I already drink the suggested amount of beer, but I don't have cable or a car to rebuild. Is there anything to help me doc? icon_wink.gif

Oh well, I'm an outdoorsy geek, I guess I've gotten used to it.

...the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

quote:
but I don't have cable or a car to rebuild. Is there anything to help me doc?

Well, first you must get cable and then watch lots of sports. But that could lead to playing fantasy sports, which according to the geek test can also make you a geek. I thought it made me more normal, but apparently I was kidding myself and I now bet that being female and playing fantasy sports contributed to my geek factor score. You can also always try more beer (please make it good beer). icon_smile.gif

Now, I will add this for anyone taking the informal (on here and not the link) test: I have used a sexy (or insert other word) avatar but changed to an avatar that better portrayed who I am.

pika waving

"I KNOW..." "what http:// stands for"

You know, that always bugs me. It's not "http://" that stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol! It's "http" that does!

Ah, just look at RFC 1738 and RFC 2396 (updates RFC 1738)... plus RFC 2718 has a nice paragraph to clarify:

quote:
2.1.2 Improper use of "//" following "<scheme>:"

Contrary to some examples set in past years, the use of double slashes as the first component of the <scheme-specific-part> of a URL is not simply an artistic indicator that what follows is a URL: Double slashes are used ONLY when the syntax of the URL's <scheme- specific-part> contains a hierarchical structure as described in RFC 2396. In URLs from such schemes, the use of double slashes indicates that what follows is the top hierarchical element for a naming authority. (See section 3 of RFC 2396 for more details.) URL schemes which do not contain a conformant hierarchical structure in their <scheme-specific-part> should not use double slashes following the "<scheme>:" string.

Incidentally, is referencing an RFC to clarify precisely what the parts of a URL mean... um... is that geek? icon_wink.gif More incidentally, is Googling up the new RFC that updates the old RFC yet another symptom? icon_biggrin.gif Even more incidentally, is tracking down a third tangentially (okay, more like secantially, but that's not really a word, eh?) related RFC going too far? icon_eek.gif (Okay, after "secantially", I think I've hit my limit... time for overdue sleep.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

[This message was edited by ClayJar on October 29, 2003 at 10:58 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

quote:
but I don't have cable or a car to rebuild. Is there anything to help me doc?

Well, first you must get cable and then watch lots of sports. .... You can also always try more beer (please make it good beer). icon_smile.gif

Well Carleenp, its always good beer. icon_wink.gif As for the cable, I can't get it at my place, heck, I don't even get any TV reception AT ALL!!! A sad existance, I know. That's probably why I owe my soul and/or my first born to all the local bookstores and video places. Sigh, maybe I should take my beer drinking to the sports bars.....

...the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Dictionary.com references geek as an English word whose second definition is as follows:

"A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken."

In that respect, then, YES, I guess I am geekish. (Now, where's that darn chicken hiding?)

--majicman

quote:

Have you ever played a role playing game? (D&D, Shadowrun, etc.) Yup

Have you ever memorized lines from a Sci Fi series? (Any of the Star Treks, Sliders, SG1, X Files, etc.) Yup

Have you ever talked about circuit components (transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.) at a party? No

Have you ever carried more than one personal item in a belt pouch as opposed to your pocket? (multi tool, cell phone, pager, etc.) No

Have you ever owned a calculator watch? Yup - but I was seven, so I'm sure I can be forgiven

Have you ever built a homemade antenna for any purpose? (Aluminum foil and coat hangers don't count.) Yup

Do you own more than one comic book that is newer that six months old? No

Do your friends consider you the "go to guy" when they need to hook up that new VCR, stereo, or surround sound? Depends who's around - I'm kinda the last resort on that sorta thing

Do you have more than 3 remote controls to operate your home entertainment system? No

Have you ever intentionally chosen a seat at the front of a classroom? Yup

Have you ever waited more than 30 minutes in line to get movie tickets? No

Have you ever been recognized as a regular customer at a coffee shop?No

quote:

If you answered yes to more than one of theese questions, it is higly recommended that you immediately consume at least 32 ounces of beer, watch ESPN for 3 hours, then rebuild the engine on a thirty year old American muscle car.

That all sounds kinda geeky to me...

------

"There's Sparticus. That's him, over there."

I took this test from another msg board I visit here is the link with my score

My Score

Also my post.

Ahck I scored 41.61736% - Major Geek

And I was upset at one question about: I want...

the answer GPS. Well I don't want one cuz I already own 1. So do I check it and get a higher rating, or leave blank which I did and get this rating? Or the fact that this question actually upset me that I didnt get a choice in the I have section to say I have one?

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

quote:
the answer GPS. Well I don't want one cuz I already own 1. So do I check it and get a higher rating, or leave blank which I did and get this rating? Or the fact that this question actually upset me that I didnt get a choice in the I have section to say I have one?

I answered yes to it because I want a newer and better GPS.

pika waving

There are several kinds of geeks and they can overlap. The geek test that was posted tests for all of them. E.g. there is the tech geek, science geek, math geek, comic book geek, sci-fi geek, trekie geek, anime geek, etc... So, to test the anime or manga geeks or people geeky enough to figure it out anyway (a true geek test): Do you know who my current avatar is? Hint: it is licensed but not yet released!

pika waving

I think I am a tech challenged geek. I have my GPS, but had a friend explain it functions, just ordered a new Dell Axim X3i for holding cache sites, but I will need my friend to show me how to use it. Haven't figured out the avatar thing yet, but I have been using a computer for 2 years and am starting to get the hang of it...I just had a thought, anyone posting messages on geocaching discussion pages is probably a geek!!!!!! Maybe I am learning enough to become a geek.

Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege

I started that test. Then looked ahead and realized that there was no way in heck I was going to finish it. Didn't matter I was already branded by it one third the way in. I know too much to be trusted. Geeks are going to have to keep an eye on me.

On the BC test my favorite answer to one question is on quoting Sci-Fi

Warf on Stats. (yeah it wasn't exaclty stats but so what!)

"If you do not play to win, then, WHY KEEP SCORE!!!!"

Well lets see...Hmmmm...Yesterday I surfed the net to find a translator program to decrypt "Klingon"(O.K. ,I like Star Trek).It was required to find a cache(GCH4M8).Today I walked right up to it with no effort.With solidude as my partner,I called myself a Geek.

I'm a foreman in heavy construction.(I work too many hours)

I'm never bored(excepy at work)

My home is is neglected(where is he)

My Wife & Kids love me(she calles me geek)

I considered myself a threshold geek but today after decrypting "Klingon"......Oh God... The door slammed shut behind me!

(Chris responding; Janet will have to answer for her own geekiness.)

I have been interviewed for my brother-in-laws radio show "Geeks on the Radio". I'm a geek.

I am President of a national organization that gives out awards for science fiction. I'm a geek.

I've served on the Executive Committee for an organization of Computer Professionals. I'm a geek.

But I still hike, rock climb, play ice hockey, and geocache. Can't be 100% a geek, can I?

Do you have more than 3 remote controls to operate your home entertainment system?

This seems out of date! 3 remotes is not a mark of geekiness, not for the past few years anyway. My aunt and probably your cousin has 3 remotes. (TV, DVD, cable or satellite!) You are a geek if you need one of these to control your system, and you programmed it yourself:

universal remote

Without this, I'd have >10 remotes...

I'd think extra bonus geek points were in order if your remote was insanely complicated to use for anyone who hadn't memorized the schematic of your home entertainment system. (Well OBVIOUSLY to listen a CD in the family room you "select CD as the source for REC OUT" - I mean Duh!).

If you have to pause (even for a fraction of a second) to think about it before the response, then yes, you ARE a geek.

If while reading these messages on this topic, you are examining your own life, then yes, you are a geek.

If you have your home page set to bringing up the GC.com site and the local caches around your home/office/etc., then yes, your a geek.

"Humor style borrowed from Jeff Foxworthy"

If you have to pause (even for a fraction of a second) to think about it before the response, then yes, you ARE a geek.

If while reading these messages on this topic, you are examining your own life, then yes, you are a geek.

If you have your home page set to bringing up the GC.com site and the local caches around your home/office/etc., then yes, your a geek.

"Humor style borrowed from Jeff Foxworthy"

I am not a geek, even though I do some ...all of those things. I am more of a non defined persona...yeah thats it a NDP. Haaa I am not a geek. <------this is an example of the denial you would go through if you were a geek.

I am not a geek though. :)

I have been a geek, but now I have more interests in Stone Age Technology.(primitive living skills)

I have built my own computers, wrote programs in BASIC, done electronic stuff, also I like connecting components to the wall outlet, so they can explode. My favorite is to sharpen a wooden pencil at both ends then hook up 120 volts to both ends, and watch them blow up. Putting large capacitors in the wall outlet gives a big bang too.