Shemwells on Today morning show.

I just saw the Shemwells, out of Boise, on the Today show.

Lost in the mountains for five days. They went out snowmobiling and took a wrong turn.

As I was listening to this story all I could think is why didn't they have a GPSr?

The eTrex and Meridian Yellow are less than $100. You can buy older GPSr in pawnshops for $35. GPSr come in cars and SUVs now. The GPSr should be known by everyone.

I'm glad they had some minimal survival gear. But in this day shouldn't that also include a GPSr?

Are we a unique breed? Those of us that have had a GPSr for years before Geocaching.

Maybe we are just geeks!

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

[This message was edited by leatherman on March 11, 2003 at 03:13 PM.]

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it. A simple GPSr with a waypoint set at their starting point would have got them out when after they made the "wrong turn"

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

DeerChaser and Poni,

Can you please shorten your animated gif image -- it's too wide and it forces the page to expand beyond the settings of some people's monitors -- this causes the page to require horizontal scrolling, which is very annoying when reading a long thread.

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

DeerChaser and Poni,

Can you please shorten your animated gif image -- it's too wide and it forces the page to expand beyond the settings of some people's monitors -- this causes the page to require horizontal scrolling, which is very annoying when reading a long thread.

Thanks.

I've been thinking the same thing...shorten or remove....

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

quote:
Originally posted by DeerChaser & Poni:

$8 compass

Well, the compass along wouldn't do much good, unless you knew where you were, and a bearing to civilization. Now, a map and compass, and the knowledge to use the two together to figure out where you are, and where you want to be, that'd work.

My Caching pack is my minimum survival kit.

It serves as an every day pack. Perfect size for everything from wallets to cameras whatever. I would definitely have had it with me if I was out there mobiling.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

quote:

Sorry it bothers you but I can't.

Here's a shorter length version:

00hoofline2.gif

To save it to your hard drive, right-click on the image and click "Save Picture As..." Then upload it to your profile page and insert the link in your signature.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

Could someone please tell me when it is open season on deer in Florida? And do bucks need to have a certain number of points, or can I bag an immature one? Thanks very much.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

What is pathetic is that everyone has to suffer because of one immature dimwit who has a STUPID animated gif in his sig who claims he "can't change it" then changes it to WON'T when someone shows that it can be changed....

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

quote:

Well IM NOT GOING TO ADJUST NOTHING to please you few whinners. You want to go scrolless then change your rez. Do you people complain to each and every web page that doesnt fit your monitor? OMG this is pathetic. LOL funny as h e l l also. :)

Hey, only six weeks here and he's already learned how to make friends and play nice!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Well, I thought it was quite nice of Rich to provide a shorter animation. I didn't feel anyone was whining, but instead were making a reasonable request. Your response seems a little overboard to me. I suppose if you want to keep the long animation just to annoy people that is your business, but it seems pretty silly. Why purposely annoy people when someone has provided you with the easy fix?

pokeanim3.gif

Simple fix for Windows users:

On Win98: Go to your windows directory.

On WinNT or WinXP: Go to WINDOWSsystem32driversetc (or winnt...)

If there's a file there called "hosts" edit it, otherwise create one. Add the following line:

127.0.0.1 www.whitetails.com

That will cause your computer to "forget" how to find the www.whitetails.com website, so the line of hoofprints will bother you no more.

Some of us might find this line useful too:

127.0.0.1 www.flint.umich.edu

warm.gif

Ok now Im going to be shot? Do I take this as a threat on my life? I'm a immature dimwit. Well if any of you want to know where I live, please feel free to email me and I will be happy to give you my address so you can visit or hunt me down. As far as my gif, it is there because I like it. Want me to make it longer? Seeing my gif is making you suffer? STAY OUT, doh. You can attack me all you like. The worse you get, the more fun I have. I think you have bigger things to worry about in the near future rather than dwelling on a animated gif file. I dont go out looking to F with people but ill be damnned if your going to F with me....PEACE

00hoofline.gif

Rino 110

MeriGreen 128

quote:

Ask nicely icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

They did -

quote:

DeerChaser and Poni,

Thanks.

It didn't help.

DeerChaser & Poni,

As a GPX application developer, I almost never have any IE window maximized, since I have many windows open at a time on my 1600x1200 screen. It would help me if you would use a graphic that is not as wide. Would it be possible for you to change it, if not for anyone else's convenience, then for mine?

Thank you.

ClayJar

Watcher Developer

Official Weekly Chat Moderator

[Watcher Downloads] - [Official Geocaching Chat]

Which is more disruptive ... the hoofs, or the page after page of complaints about the hoofs?!

Obligatory on-topic comment:

The Shemwells are idiots. Anyone who can't find his way out of the woods has no business going into them. Sure, GPS receivers are cheap. Maps and compasses are even cheaper, and someone who doesn't know how to use those should also stick to campgrounds. Technology is no substitute for experience.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)