What do I do

Camcacher

Hey... I was just wondering what I should say if I am going to my cache and people are there (you cant see if any1 is near from far away) Just wondering the correct or polite way to do this....or should i just walk on by. Thanks a lot. By the way this cache of mine is my first cache and I have already encounterd this situation icon_smile.gif

I've encountered this situation a couple of times since I've hidden the cache where I take my dogs to swim everyday. Like you, I can't tell if anyone is there until I get there and usually the dogs are there before me.

In both cases I eventually let them figure out I was the cache owner (not very difficult since the cache is named after the dogs and cache page has pictures of them) but not before I played dumb and let them try to look nonchalant and pretend they are doing something else. icon_cool.gif I have a bit of an evil streak...

Gorak

If you see that they have the cache open go up and introduce yourself, I know I'd like to meet the owner of the cache. I recently met fellow cachers on the trail and we walked and talked for quite awhile and it was a great experience. Remember we're all out here for pretty much the same reason and meeting people with a shared interest is rarely a bad thing.

I usually like to run up and say "HEY, What the heck are you doing there!" "Yeah, you what are you doing, I'm going to call the cops!" Then I usually let loose with a 'just kidding' and tell them that I'm a wacko that lives in the woods and that I've ate the last people that have been to that location.

Or you could do like the others have mentioned and start with "hello" and go from there. I've met plenty of cachers while out caching and its a lot of fun to put names with faces and such. I wouldn't worry about anyone taking offense to your presence.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

I can't think of ever running into geocachers at my caches but I've had a number of the cache placers run into me at their caches. For one reason or another several times the person was hunting for their own cache which had been reported missing. No matter what the situation I'll always walk up to geocachers and strike up a conversation even if it's just to say hello. I usually start off with... any luck or did you find it? Sorta like what you'd say to a fisherman, if it turns out they aren't geocachers they give you a strange look and move on.

gstats1.gif