Well,,,I cant help it. Does anyone know a good site to buy ammo boxes at?

jtice

I've looked around and the cheapest place is cheaperthandirt (link above). They sell a 6 pack of .30 cal boxes for $19 and the .50 cal are $3.99 each. The downside might be that you start getting catalogs from all kinds of survivalist and military surplus vendors. But some of the stuff is actally pretty neat. Before I bought my ammo boxes, I didn't even know what a ghillie suit was.

I've heard of some people who have found ammo boxes at flea markets for as little as $1.99 each.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 25, 2003 at 04:33 AM.]

I've been looking lately and CheaperThanDirt is the best price I can find online. Especially considering their very modest shipping charges.

I haven't checked any Army surplus stores yet, but this brings up another question. With recent military activities, are an abundance of these containers to be expected on the market soon? Does the military bring such things back from overseas operations?

-Vb

Though it doesnt help for most people.... A couple of weeks ago the Cabelas store in Dundee, MI had a couple of dozen 50 cal cans in the bargain cave for $1.99ea. Also, the local Theisens (a farm/discount store) has the 50 cal cans for $3.99. Just keep an eye out anyplace that has outdoor stuff.

------------------------------------------------

The world is a playground. Go outside and play!

------------------------------------------------

I have found my best deals at gun shows. Usually offer about 50%-75% of the asking price for 8 to 10 boxes. Usually end up paying from $3 to $3.50 per box, and no shipping. This workes better as you near the end of the show and the seller starts to think about hauling it all oout to the parking lot.

Good Luck.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I'd second the cheaperthandirt recommendation, although BrianSnat is right on with the new mailing lists you'll find yourself added to quickly.

Between my skulking around the area looking for caches, and the survivalist catalogs, I'm sure I've made it to a watch-list somewhere!

I think my mailman is spying on me for the CIA...>hmmmmmmm<

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

They are water tight, as long as the gasket is in good shape. There was one guy whose ammo box spent a few months under flood waters and it was bone dry inside when he recovered it. He's got a thread somewhere here with pictures. I found one floating upside down in 2 feet of water and the contents were dry.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I've found about 200 caches that weren't micros or virtuals. Of those, around 40 were placed in ammo cans, and ZERO had any damage... water leakage, broken container, etc. Of the 160 placed in Rubbermaid, Gladware and other types of containers, easily 50 of them had some degree of water damage or other damage.

Moral of the story: use ammo cans wherever appropriate. Where to buy them? My source is www.sirplussupply.com in upstate New York. I bring down a dozen or so each time I visit my family there. $4.00 per can, just like Cheaper than Dirt charges for .50 cal., and no shipping cost (self-service). I'd recommend this site or cheaperthandirt or another bulk vendor, rather than walking in off the street to just any military surplus store. I've seen price tags in army-navy stores of up to $8.00 for a single .50 cal. can.

Now I am re-selling ammo cans to other cachers in the area, to encourage more quality cache hides. At an event cache tomorrow, I'll be showing up with 36 ammo cans in the back of my SUV. I hope I don't get stopped by the cops on my way there!

If you ever get up towards Pittsburgh, let me know and I could maybe get you some ammo boxes.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Now I am re-selling ammo cans to other cachers in the area, to encourage more quality cache hides. At an event cache tomorrow, I'll be showing up with 36 ammo cans in the back of my SUV. I hope I don't get stopped by the cops on my way there!

But officer, I was just setting up a multi-cache with 36 parts...

bandbass.gif

The Leprechauns, thanks for the info. I'm in Rochester at least once a month. Is this a regular walk-in store? They have no address on their web site.

Also, I'm usually in the Pittsburgh area once a month, or so. If you ever find yourself in need of a restock drop me an email.

-Vb