Underwater cache

DBCHeadoc

I want to begin an underwater cache at a local lake where swimming is not prohibited. I'm thinking about putting glass bottles with messages inside in a heavy metal container somewhere in this lake. Anyone know anything about underwater caches? Comments would be appreciated. Thanx, DBCHeadoc

B the DBCHeadoc

quote:
Originally posted by DBCHeadoc:

I want to begin an underwater cache at a local lake where swimming is not prohibited. I'm thinking about putting glass bottles with messages inside in a heavy metal container somewhere in this lake. Anyone know anything about underwater caches? Comments would be appreciated. Thanx, DBCHeadoc

B the DBCHeadoc

A quick visit to the search function turns up enough reading to keep you busy for awhile. You'll find everything you could possibly want to know about underwater caches there.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

There aren't alot of lakes around here that ban swimming, but Holmes is one of them. So, I thought I would warn you that if you are thinking of Holmes lake, it is scheduled to be mostly drained and dredged over the next year or so!!!!

Also, if swimming is not allowed, then you need to provide a way to retrieve the cache without getting in the water.

I have thought about placing a water cache, but it will be set up in a way that although it is underwater, the finder will not need to enter the water. I won't say what I'm thinking though since that would kind of spoil it (especially since we are in the same city)!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
I think a under water cache is dumb, and limiting to access and plain dangerous...

I think underwater caches are just fine. I think someone deciding what type of cache is too dangerous for others is dumb. Nobody is forcing you to do it.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by Dale_Lynn:

I think a under water cache is dumb, and limiting to access and plain dangerous...

Are you serious?

Tough caches are what I first envisioned when I embarked on my geocaching career. I read the opening page and pictured multi-day hikes to retrieve a box carefully hidden near the peak. I saw streams and rivers blocking my path, and having to figure a way to cross. I saw myself suited up head to toe as I shoed my way across an open tundra, GPS in hand.

What I didn't figure is that there'd be a tupperware container in every corner playground around my house that I could walk to in bare feet and shorts if I desired.

There are far too few challenging caches, and although I won't be able to hunt for an underwater cache any time soon (geography and skill/equipment are my roadblocks), I say bring 'em on. I can drive to an ocean or lake, and I can learn how to dive. That's why I joined up with this hobby.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Tough caches are what I first envisioned when I embarked on my geocaching career. I read the opening page and pictured multi-day hikes to retrieve a box carefully hidden near the peak. I saw streams and rivers blocking my path, and having to figure a way to cross. I saw myself suited up head to toe as I shoed my way across an open tundra, GPS in hand.

Amen brother!

That's exactly why I started geocaching. I've tried to place challenging caches, but lately have placed a few easy ones. I wish there were more difficult caches down south.

I first heard about geocaching from a friend who sails and dives. He had heard about it and wanted to place a statue of Mary in Lake Pontchartrain. Kind of like a shrine. He never did it.

quote:
Originally posted by Dale_Lynn:

Hey, another confirmation that I do dumb and dangerous things. I just appreciate the fact that people give me the chance.

Let's hear it for underwater caches!!!!

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I have two underwater caches on my watch list both in areas I plan to dive in this year.

I suggest that glass isn't the best plan for the container. I have a huge scar on the bottom of my foot from glass. There are watertight boxes available at dive shops that would work great.

Some underwater caches have a carbiner attaching it to a weight on the bottom. You can unclip the cache and take it to the surface. For me when I hide an underwater cache I plan to actually use a dive slate so it can be done completely underwater.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

My concern is the glass containers. There is a reason that you don't bring glass around a swimming pool or on a float trip. Glass breaks and then barefoot swimmers find it -- the hard way. Yeah, I know you said you were going to put the glass inside something else but who knows if it will stay there.

Use plastic only where people are going to swim.

My solution was to make it a wet cache. Everything in the cache is waterproof or doesn't mind getting wet. I included laminated cards, metal and plastic things, etc. They're all enclosed in a plastic case that I actually cut holes in to make sure it wouldn't float away. At 110' there's no chance a swimmer is going to get it--and any I've detailed risks and options to scuba divers.

Chelan SCUBA Cache

Still no finders yet.....but one day.