Geocaching related business

I'm looking for a business partner to bring my startup geocaching related adventure tour company to the next level. I'm too occupied with my present job. For more info visit [removed] I'm willing to sell the company, to include the business plan and domain name for the costs and labor I have invested sofar. Interested parties should email me at [removed]

[This message was edited by Jeremy (Admin) on June 23, 2002 at 02:08 AM.]

What the hell were you thinking trying to make this idea fly?

I bet you are kicking yourself in the butt now for even trying to develop such an idea.

I am curious as to how much you charge for one of these tours?

I can go on a gps hunt in my area for say 6 hours and have my choice of over 400 caches to hit.

The total cost for me to go caching for 6 hours is as follows:

$5-$10 bucks for gas.

About $5 bucks for lunch and sodas.

So in other words you are going to use exsisting Geocaches to generate revenue. Do you plan on compensating the people who placed these cache for free. Well given the number of trolls red meat, machettes, and explosives to say nothing of the Geogaming website. I'm not surprised that we have yet another person trying to make a quick buck.

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

So in other words you are going to use exsisting Geocaches to generate revenue.

Where did you get those "other words"? The site referred to said "Along a scenic route we have hidden treasures and recorded the coordinates"

I am not to sure that Lostsoul's business idea is going to generate much revenue, but no need to dump on him for trying. There are lots of revenue opportunities for Geocaching related businesses (Geocaching.com is the first example that comes to mind)- what's wrong with pursuing them?

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

Sounds like a great idea. Go for it. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Show what town you are in on your profile in geocaching and on your web page.

2. Try to develope locally first - (see 1)

3. Go for groups that don't have access to transportation such as school kids, old age homes, others who are home bound, etc.

4. Combine up meals either with local deli or diner or bar-b-q type deal.

5. Set you own caches with an area of a nice park where they can spread out in groups and all go after separate caches. Plus you'll know where they all are and can maintain them easily.

Good luck to you.

Alan

Also urban area where many poeople do not have cars and retirement "villages" where people are always looking for things to do in groups and with others organizing the events. If it's a retirement community with a social center (clubhouse, pool, tennis, etc.) see the social director and make a pitch. These places have photo groups, tavel groups, exercise groups,. Suggest this as an idea and organize the events.

Alan

Aw, don't get your panties in a bunch. There are people who pay to be taken on tours many of us would guide ourselves through. People pay guides to take them hiking, cleaners to clean their houses, teachers to teach their kids, gardeners to mow their lawns.

If someone wants to PAY to be taken geocaching, more power to the person who gets the money. I don't think it's going to ruin the sport for the rest of us.

Thank you guys for all your negative and positive responses. Alan is hitting the nail right on the head with his suggestions. That is indeed the directions I wanted to go. Please note that I live in a resort area. A lot of out of towners and snowbirds. This area has 3 jeep adventure tour companies which uses extended open jeeps to fit 6 passengers. Their clients are primarily hotel guests and conventioneers. They pay $60-70 for a 3 hour tour into the desert and mountains, lunch and refreshments included. I took the tour once. After 20 minutes driving and ooh and aahs of the presented desert vistas I became bored quickly. That's why I came with the added activity of geocaching. If you go on a google search on "adventure tours" you will find quite a number of these companies all over the world. None of these companies are offering added interactivity.

Comprende guys? Besides, Jerremy is hooking up with Playtime Inc to do similar paid things with geocaching. What's the difference ?

Awaiting more of your responses.

Although skepticism is the 1st filter I usually view these things through, I don't have a problem with this idea.

Really, it's the service that's being sold. The geocaching part is almost incidental. It may as well be rockhounding or birding.

I could foresee some difficulty with the caches being posted on Geocaching.com. You would probably want the cache contents to be maintained at a certain level of quality (for the tourists) but even posting them as 'members only' the trend in cache quality will always be downhill as other cachers find them.

From the site advertising the service.

quote:
Along a scenic route we have hidden treasures and recorded the coordinates.

Where does that say they're using existing geocaching sites? It sounds like that they were hiding the stuff themselves. As long as they're hiding stuff themselves I have no problem with it. It didn't say anything about exchanges either. His target cliental would need more than MacDonald toys, also.

quote:
Originally posted by joedohn:

I could foresee some difficulty with the caches being posted on Geocaching.com. You would probably want the cache contents to be maintained at a certain level of quality (for the tourists).

You're right. They are not going to be posted on Geocaching. Only the touroperator and driver know these locations. Since this is a paid service the contents are of a certain high commercial quality and some are refreshed daily (lunch cache)