Hanging/Suspended Cache Advice?

Guest CrashT

We hid our first cache today. We are new to this sport and wanted to make a cache unlike any other that we have found. We located a nice seclude place under some trees in a county park along a stretch of river just below a dam spillway. This is actually quite off the beaten path as you would only be back here to either find the cache or fish the river. There are lots of little picnic areas along the river on the way back, but not near the cache. It's situated about 100 ft. off a hard pack path/access road between a fish hatchery and the river (this part of the park is probably only 300-400ft wide). I had this idea for a unique type of cache, and was able to execute it as planned. This cache was to be suspended under a tree branch. I did not want to tear up the ground, tie a rope to the tree, or nail anything to the tree. So we came up with this idea. I want to know what more experienced cachers think of this idea.

We camouflaged a 2 gallon plastic pail with lid. We found a nice solid branch on a tree overhanging a clearing (surrounded by berries on three sides with no major obstructions under the tree). There are several other trees in close proximity, but not dense enough to mess with your GPS. There should be no foot traffic through this area. We tied one end of a camouflaged rope to the cache handle (solid metal wire handle), tied the other to a carbiner, and then tossed the carbiner over a "v" in the branch. We then secured the carbiner end of the rope to a square single channel cinder block that is also painted camouflaged to blend into the surroundings. We stood the cinder block on end so the opening was facing up. The rope is looped around one side of the cinder block so the carbiner is on top. We then pulled the pail into place under the branch, about 10 feet off the ground. We placed the cinder bock at the base of the tree, then tied a loop in the rope to attach to the carbiner. The remaining rope is then coiled up and placed into the cinder block cavity (makes for a nice stash for the rope so it's not lying around for anyone to see or trip over). When you find the cache you unhook the loop, let the rope out of the block, and the pail comes down earth. There's enough rope to allow you to move the pail probably 4 feet in any direction once it's on the ground. The area under this group of trees has some nice low grass that sort of lays down (should help to hide any trample patterns in the grass). When you're done with the cache you simply pull it back up into place, hook the loop in the rope back to the carbiner/cinder block, and stash the rest of the rope back into the cinder block. Because the cinder block is at the base of the tree, the rope pretty much follows the branches up and out. It all looks pretty good, and came off just as planned.

Any feedback on this type of setup? Has it been done before? Do you see any problems with this type of suspended cache? I thought it would definitely keep the cache in the same exact location, as the cinder block and tree anchor the cache to this location. The name of the cache is "The Hawks Nest", ie: up off the ground. I'm really wanting to get feedback on this, as I have some other ideas for unique types of caches. The only drawback is when the trees loose their leaves this will be somewhat exposed. The branches and painting of the pail might still keep it somewhat off many people's radar who are just passing through the area fishing (we'll see).

- Stan Trevena

Guest Markwell

I'd say pretty much anything goes as far as cache placement, as long as it poses no danger to the environment or cachers.

Only thing I'd worry about is that a suspended cache has more chance of being randomly seen - but you indicate that it is well off the beaten path.

Sounds like a fun cache.

That is very similar to one we found on Saturday "Tree Cemetary". On that one the guy had tied a cord around his cache container and run it up over a branch about 8 feet off the ground and secured the other end to a small but strong stick about 2 ft long that he had found. Then the stick was pulled and wedged under a fallen tree. You just pulled the stick out from under the tree and lowered the cache to the ground and when finished you pulled the stick back down under the dead tree. Very slick setup and totally natural, the cord he used was black and blended quite well. His clue is "you don't need to untie anything"

Rusty...

------------------

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page