How close is too close?

If your plan is to keep your mouth shut, then you should keep it shut to start with. Making those kinds of statements with absolutely nothing to back it up is irresponsible and libel.

I have to admit that I dont understand the comments.

What difference would it make to you if I said that Joe favors Jane and to prove it even prseent a cache?

How is that going to prove anything for you? You dont know any of the characters, you dont know whats going on on my corner of the world so how are you going to decide if I am right or am I wrong?

Actually I believe that asking that question you already made up your mind and nothing I would say would change it.

Geocaching is a universal game and Earth is pretty big and people have to realize that things might not work the same way elsewhere.

When I read folks here complain about things I dont discard them as just being whiners and losers because I dont know where they are coming from. They have a gripe about something and come here to talk about it not being ridiculed and I respect that.

And to stay on topic, to answer the OP question: How close is too close? My answer is :

Whatever the reviewer wants it to be.

Cheers.

Reviewers have to consider many things when publishing caches. Proximity depends on circumstance. I published two caches today that were by the same owner and are only 432 feet apart. If you would like to take the direct 432 foot path between the two caches, you should probably bring your personal jet pack or maybe a trebuchet.

http://coord.info/GC2ZTYG

http://coord.info/GC2ZTY4

Click the link below to see these two caches on the Geocaching.com mapping.

http://coord.info/map?ll=30.545337,-89.648506&z=17&mt=satellite

There are no absolutes, which is why we have the ability to be flexible.

I've made mistakes though. We are human. It happens.

Let's get back to discussing saturation in general terms. Does anyone wish it was like the days of the opening post, when two caches in the same park was debated as "crowding?"

When I find 2 caches in the same Wally World parking lot I think it's crowded. I would love to see the saturation limit raised to 1/4 mile (402 meters).

Frankly, I'd rather just see that kind of cache banned or heavily restricted, such as a requirement to have explicit permission to place a cache at a commercial place of business, rather than adjust the saturation guideline for that reason. I know of many nice caches in a nice park that would be impacted by such a change.

Edited by Dgwphotos

Most of the human reviewers blame the mistakes on the non-human reviewers.

Many reviewers are dogs.

My inbox full of notifications of newly published caches would argue that there is a third group, machines, one to which I am fairly certain you belong. While the local dog reviewer BrindleDog has published about 6 in the past 24 hours, you have easily quintupled that, if not more. It makes me wish I was back stateside to be able to go hunting for them.

Back on topic, system is flexible, people are still going to complain about it, ultimately it is reviewers' decision at the end of the day, there is an appeals process in place for people who want to use it, people still will feel that it is flawed, does that cover it?

Let the circle continue.

If your plan is to keep your mouth shut, then you should keep it shut to start with. Making those kinds of statements with absolutely nothing to back it up is irresponsible and libel.

I have to admit that I dont understand the comments.

What difference would it make to you if I said that Joe favors Jane and to prove it even prseent a cache?

How is that going to prove anything for you? You dont know any of the characters, you dont know whats going on on my corner of the world so how are you going to decide if I am right or am I wrong?

Actually I believe that asking that question you already made up your mind and nothing I would say would change it.

Geocaching is a universal game and Earth is pretty big and people have to realize that things might not work the same way elsewhere.

When I read folks here complain about things I dont discard them as just being whiners and losers because I dont know where they are coming from. They have a gripe about something and come here to talk about it not being ridiculed and I respect that.

And to stay on topic, to answer the OP question: How close is too close? My answer is :

Whatever the reviewer wants it to be.

Cheers.

My comment should be easy to understand. Forums are open discussions. When you bring something to a forum discussion, you should be prepared to back it up openly.

It doesn't matter if I know the principals involved directly. If you mention specific incidents, there are moderators and reviewers who can verify the information for the rest of us as Keystone has been known to do. Perhaps you are worried that he would also reveal to us what is really going on which is also usually the case.

If you are not prepared to be specific when tossing out those kind of accusations then you should refrain from saying anything at all and take your issue up via email with Groundspeak directly and privately.

What is hard to understand about that?

However, I think that many of us would love to see specific examples of "caches only 300' apart". I certainly don't know of any, and I have had caches turned down that were 524' from another (to use Keystone's example).

OK, so the example I cited when I posted this was flawed because I failed to notice that one of the caches in the parking lot example had been archived. But if there are those who need to see specific examples - here's another I recently encountered. Check out Bob's Sinkhole and Beach Vacation TB Hotel. By my measurement these two caches are 108' apart. No big deal you say - well now do a search on caches named Patsy Pond # . You will see that, including the two aforementioned caches, there are a total of seventeen caches all within a 0.2 square mile area here. Total (route)distance between all of them is about 2.1 miles, and this is in a wilderness area. Please feel free to correct me if my software has calculated this improperly, but what I'm getting at is that there definitely are places where there exist a heavy saturation of caches. Note that I am not making any judgements about any of the named caches - I'm just using them as an example of cache density.

However, I think that many of us would love to see specific examples of "caches only 300' apart". I certainly don't know of any, and I have had caches turned down that were 524' from another (to use Keystone's example).

OK, so the example I cited when I posted this was flawed because I failed to notice that one of the caches in the parking lot example had been archived. But if there are those who need to see specific examples - here's another I recently encountered. Check out Bob's Sinkhole and Beach Vacation TB Hotel. By my measurement these two caches are 108' apart. No big deal you say - well now do a search on caches named Patsy Pond # . You will see that, including the two aforementioned caches, there are a total of seventeen caches all within a 0.2 square mile area here. Total (route)distance between all of them is about 2.1 miles, and this is in a wilderness area. Please feel free to correct me if my software has calculated this improperly, but what I'm getting at is that there definitely are places where there exist a heavy saturation of caches. Note that I am not making any judgements about any of the named caches - I'm just using them as an example of cache density.

Bob's Sinkhole is an EarthCache. The saturation guideline refers to physical caches not Earth Caches. Conceivably Bob's Sinkhole and Beach Vacation could have even has the same coordinates. The Pasty Pond series appears to be a what some might call a mini powertrail. Many cachers enjoy find a series along a trail like this. Others will complain that just because you can hide a cache every 528 ft. doesn't mean you should. Given these are only 17 caches and there appears to be plenty of space not far away for more caches, I don't see how this is an example of caches being too close or too dense.