Ammo Can sizes....

I am getting ready to place my first cache. After finding about 30 other caches, I see that Ammo cans are the most popular choice for a container. I called the Army Navy Surplus and they asked me "what caliber?" I didn't know. What is the caliber that most use. I have seen two sizes the mojority of the time. A can that looks about maybe 12 in long, 8 in wide and about maybe 8 in deep. And another that is a skinny one about the same size but only about 4 in wide. What are the caliber of these boxes?? What do you all use?? Thanks.

Search1128

I like the .50 cal TALL ammo cans the best. The reason is because I like stocking my caches full of stuff and these allow me to do that better than the rest without being too large but they are still the largest of the ones mentioned.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

I started using the .50 cal boxes, but I've since found that the .30 cal work equally well and are easier to hide.

I still use both, but it depends on where I'm hiding them.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

All ammo boxes are great to use. If you know where you want to place the cache, then you should let that help you decide on the container size. I personally like using the old style wooden ammo boxes, because they are very large. They are approx. 24"x16"x6" in size, but they also make hiding them much more complicated and you have to place everything in ziploc bags. I know that everyone who finds one enjoys seeing them.

The Buzzard's: ZiggyStardust

Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I started using the .50 cal boxes, but I've since found that the .30 cal work equally well and are easier to hide.

I still use both, but it depends on where I'm hiding them.

_"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow_[/quote

I've searched for nearly an hour to find a 30 Cal box when it is hidden flat on the ground covered with leaves. They're great!