Map software package

Guest Bogtrotter_ie

Guest Bogtrotter_ie

I thought some people might be interested in the package I use here in Ireland. Its called GPSU (stands for GPS Utility). You scan in any map (I use the ordnance survey maps for the Irish mountains, where I hike) you calibrate the map on the PC, create routes, color them, add annotations if you wish(I usually put the compass bearings on the route legs, plus notes on points of interest). I then print the map (you can choose the scale). I laminate the maps then, so its weatherproof and away you go. You can save all the routes, upload or download as you like to/from the GPS and, (here's a great feature) if you have saved a track log, you download to the PC on your return and it will show your recorded track on the map, which you can then save as a rouite. There are many more features but, check it out yourselves at http://homepages.enterprise.net/murphy/

Guest CaptHawke

his as a great tool for cachers to use for comparing routes taken to the more difficult caches. (Whitewall is rated 4/4.5, is nearly 10 miles r/t and involves serious bushwhacking over difficult terrain.) You can easily post an image of your route and allow the Monday morning quarterbacks to critique your navigation. It was interesting to view my trip printed on the photo and map, seeing where I deviated from the planned route, and fine-tuning the route with informaion gathered from the field. It's a very slick program and I can definitely see myself paying for the full featured, registered version.

Cephas Hawke

Bedford NH

[This message has been edited by CaptHawke (edited 17 October 2001).]

Guest topografix

quote:
Originally posted by CaptHawke:

I had downloaded GPSU along with some other utilities several months ago, but never took a real good look at it until last night. My GPS still had the waypoints and tracks from the cache I hid last week, Whitewall Mountain and I was going to dump everything into EasyGPS for safe keeping. I figured it was time to check out what GPSU could do.

Since you've been using EasyGPS, I'm interested to know if you've tried ExpertGPS (http://www.expertgps.com) and hear your opinions of it relative to GPSU. I'm always looking for areas to improve ExpertGPS, and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

[This message has been edited by topografix (edited 17 October 2001).]

[This message has been edited by topografix (edited 17 October 2001).]

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by topografix:

Since you've been using EasyGPS, I'm interested to know if you've tried ExpertGPS (http://www.expertgps.com) and hear your opinions of it relative to GPSU. I'm always looking for areas to improve ExpertGPS, and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ExpertGPS is a a great looking program with many features not found in GPSU and is probably worth the extra $20. I has a more professional look and feel as well.

There are 2 things that might make GPSU a bit more useful to me however. One, it will accept any map I can scan or download from the web. ExpertGPS is limited to USGS topos and aerial photos. The USGS stuff is good, but not always the the best for certain navigation applications. For instance, I've made several canoe trips into Everglades NP. The topos for the Everglades are next to worthless, far to little detail. The prefered maps for canoe and kayak use in the coastal mangrove swamps are nautical charts. Other examples are the maps that come with many hiking and mt. bike guides. They are usually more up to date than the trail info on the USGS topos. And after 25 years of orienteering I've got a drawer full of highly detailed maps from regional meets. I hang on to the maps for use when I later go hiking in those areas. In fact I used these when placing my Hackett Hill cache and searching for BMW's Joe English. With all of these other sources, all I have to do is line-up two known points on the scanned map to calibrate them for use with GPSU.

Second, GPSU comes in a freeware version that is functional enough for a casual user to download his GPS tracks to a Terra Server map and then save it as a jpg file. He can then print the maps, email them to friends or even include them in the cache web page. ExpertGPS is $60; the trial version is only good for 2 weeks and has the mapping feature crippled.

Cephas Hawke

Bedford, NH

Guest Bogtrotter_ie

Gentlemen, the particular attractions that GPSU has for me in Ireland are:

1/tTere are no other mapping sources available for here. Most map sources are specifically tailored to the US market, understandably. But, all these lovely resources that you guys have at your disposal are not of any benefit to people in Europe.

2/ GPSU can be configured to the same map formats as the standard maps used in Ireland for hiking etc. Therefore, all grid references etc. work and match.

3/ My GPS is a Garmin 12XL, software version 3.04. This does not work with any of the other mapping and PC interface packages. Only GPSU will work with ANY GPS. I actually paid the small fee for full version and it's well worth it.

These are the main reasons I raised the idea of GPSU, for those who don't have the facilities that are available in the States.