poket knives in caches

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by Ruprex:

However silly it may sound, it's true. Educate your children and they wont hurt themself. Same goes with guns but that's another topic entirely.

Why are guns a different topic? Why not put guns in caches? How about poison?

Why have any restrictions at all? Let's even allow food. Its the responsibility of all the animals out there to teach their young not to try to eat geocaches.

Is that the position you really want to take... i think it's you who now needs to step back and review a few things.

-Lets play global Thremoneucler war-

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Morgan&Family:

Bit off-topic, but what the h... is nerf ball ?

I couldn't find it on dictionaries... icon_confused.gif

Looks like nerf balls are soft foam balls made for indoor playing. I'm sure your kids know them, although maybe not with the name 'nerf ball', which is probably a registered trade mark.

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

quote:

quote:

However silly it may sound, it's true. Educate your children and they wont hurt themself. Same goes with guns but that's another topic entirely.

Why are guns a different topic? Why not put guns in caches? How about poison?

Why have any restrictions at all? Let's even allow food. Its the responsibility of all the animals out there to teach their young not to try to eat geocaches.

Look again... I never said we should allow guns in caches. I simply stated that education is the path to safety.

If you want to put guns or poison or food in your caches, go ahead.. my kids wont care nor will they get hurt. They are educated!

quote:

Look again... I never said we should allow guns in caches. I simply stated that education is the path to safety.

If your argument is that knives are okay, since children should be educated enough for them not to be a risk, then why not allow guns in caches? Shouldn't children be educated enough for guns not to be a risk? I fail to see how your argument can be valid for knifes but not for guns.

quote:

quote:

If your argument is that knives are okay, since children should be educated enough for them not to be a risk, then why not allow guns in caches? Shouldn't children be educated enough for guns not to be a risk? I fail to see how your argument can be valid for knifes but not for guns.

Then you fail to know what is legal and what is not.

Knives are not illegal. Putting a gun in a cache will get you thrown in jail. One needs proper documentation to transfer the ownership of a gun.

quote:

Knives are not illegal. Putting a gun in a cache will get you thrown in jail. One needs proper documentation to transfer the ownership of a gun.

What if the cache is in iraq? Shouldn't we allow soldiers to trade guns??

quote:

quote:

And yes, you should educate your children on proper gun safety. I pitty your child when he's in a room with his friends who happen to have found their fathers ill placed, improperly stored gun. Your child has great potential of getting shot. Put my kid in a room with a boy who is playing with a gun and I can rest easy. He may play with it (boys will be boys) but you can bet your ars they no one will get shot. That gun will be handled properly, I assure you.

quote:

quote:

Just exactly what is your point? Are you trying to tell me that guns and knives are one in the same? By your thought process, so is a baseball bat, a rope for hanging, a car for plowing people on the sidewalk...You're starting to make very little sense to me.

quote:

And yes, you should educate your children on proper gun safety. I pitty your child when he's in a room with his friends who happen to have found their fathers ill placed, improperly stored gun. Your child has great potential of getting shot. Put my kid in a room with a boy who is playing with a gun and I can rest easy. He may play with it (boys will be boys) but you can bet your ars they no one will get shot. That gun will be handled properly, I assure you.

You improperly assume that I do not educate my children with regards to gun safety.

The fact remains that many parents do NOT educate their children, on gun nor knife safety, nor many other areas including common sense. Should these innocents be made to pay for our irresponsibility when they find a knife in a cache and don't know that it isn't a toy?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

quote:

One needs proper documentation to transfer the ownership of a gun.

Not in the free states we don't. I have sold and bought, been given and traded many guns/rifles all without a scrap of paperwork. All of the transations were perfectly legal. Ain't freedom grand? icon_smile.gif

--

http://nnin.net

God loves Texas. Unfortunately, I live in the armpit of Liberal states, California.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

By that logic we shouldn't even own pocketknives right? After all, it could fall out of my pocket and some innocent child could find it and become a mass murderer.

Are you _really_ as irresponsible as you sound, or are you just pressing your viewpoint for idealogical reasons? I can respect the latter...

We are not that far away from that scenario. If I loan my car out because I am such a nice guy and Criminal goes on a binger and smashes your front porch and worse kills your dog, somehow I'm responsible.

For some reason in the USA our reponsibilties extend beyond our ability to control leaving us holding the bag with no options but to either cave in and become scrooges, or buck the system and fight the dumb a$$ logic.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:

quote:

You improperly assume that I do not educate my children with regards to gun safety.

The fact remains that many parents do NOT educate their children, on gun nor knife safety, nor many other areas including common sense. Should these innocents be made to pay for our irresponsibility when they find a knife in a cache and don't know that it isn't a toy?

Or is it me who is made to pay for the ignorance. Again, I am not responsible for the education of everyone. Why should I be made to pay for downfalls of ignorant parents?

quote:

Just exactly what is your point? Are you trying to tell me that guns and knives are one in the same? By your thought process, so is a baseball bat, a rope for hanging, a car for plowing people on the sidewalk...You're starting to make very little sense to me.

My point is that I am attempting to frustrate you. Plain and simple.

It doesn't matter one bit to me whether I succeed or not. If I don't, I'll just move on to the next dupe.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

gijoelogo53154.JPG

quote:

quote:

My point is that I am attempting to frustrate you. Plain and simple.

It doesn't matter one bit to me whether I succeed or not. If I don't, I'll just move on to the next dupe.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

http://www.outlet4toys.com/gijoe/gijoelogo53154.JPG

You're not frustrating me, trust in that. I sit here with a smile on my face eager to negate your comments. You've touched on something I strongly believe in and I'm more then willing to pose my stance.

quote:

quote:

You still fail to know what is legal and what is not. The US soldiers are illegally in Iraq.icon_rolleyes.gif

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

C'mon people. There are bigger moral and constitutional issues at stake than what is being argued here. Before this digresses further, leaving a knife in a cache is not necessary, nor is it some kind of right/left wing conspiracy. I have a drawer full of pocket knives, yet I haven't left one in a cache, nor have I added to that drawer from a cache. Jeez, a travel bug is far more interesting... Whether Geocaching.com says yea or nea is no big deal, and I am none the lesser for their decision. My rights are not being trampled because knives are banned from caches by the SPONSORING organization.

It's sad that we are pissing away our time on this triviality when the real issues of legality and illegality are tragically being enacted right now on the world stage; maybe we should follow that old bumper sticker, "Question Authority" with this caveat: "Including Your Own."

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphor:

C'mon people. There are bigger moral and constitutional issues at stake than what is being argued here. Before this digresses further, leaving a knife in a cache is not necessary, nor is it some kind of right/left wing conspiracy. I have a drawer full of pocket knives, yet I haven't left one in a cache, nor have I added to that drawer from a cache. Jeez, a travel bug is far more interesting... Whether Geocaching.com says yea or nea is no big deal, and I am none the lesser for their decision. My rights are not being trampled because knives are banned from caches by the SPONSORING organization.

It's sad that we are pissing away our time on this triviality when the real issues of legality and illegality are tragically being enacted right now on the world stage; maybe we should follow that old bumper sticker, "Question Authority" with this caveat: "Including Your Own."

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

True, it's not necessary. But then neither is geocahing itself.

Lets go on and talk about more important issues like the war or abortion or politics. We shouldn't be discussing geocaching pros and cons in this forum anyway.

i recently found a nifty little multi tool still in its packaging. it was remotely hidden, and not likely to be accidentally found.

where it was, i liked it. i'd have had second thoughts if i'd found it in a playground.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:

"...I started teaching my son about knives and guns before he even started kindergarten. He is now 6. He has his own pocket knife and a rifle he keeps in his bedroom..."

Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only one who finds themselves shaking their head in astonishment at the idea of ANY 6 year old who sleeps with a *real* rifle(...??!?) in their bedroom. It doesn't matter how well ol'Pappy has taught Junior (or what part of Texas you hail from) ...at that age, shouldn't there be a baseball glove, some Pokemon cards, and perhaps a stuffed toy animal or two in the corner of a little boy's room - not a .22 Remington?

icon_eek.gif

ontario1.gif

There's a remarkable difference between the philosophy of a person whose rights are natural, and a person who gets their rights from their government.

A rifle is just an inanimate chunk of steel and wood. It has no mind of its own to do any deed. Besides, it's useless w/o bullets anyway.

It's a different culture, don't judge by you own.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

quote:

"...I started teaching my son about knives and guns before he even started kindergarten. He is now 6. He has his own pocket knife and a rifle he keeps in his bedroom..."

Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only one who finds themselves shaking their head in astonishment at the idea of ANY 6 year old who sleeps with a *real* rifle(...??!?) in their bedroom. It doesn't matter how well ol'Pappy has taught Junior (or what part of Texas you hail from) ...at that age, shouldn't there be a baseball glove, some Pokemon cards, and perhaps a stuffed toy animal or two in the corner of a little boy's room - not a .22 Remington?

I am of the belief that it is better to train our young men and women in the use of firearms at an early age, so that when we rightfully decide to take on a modern day hitler they will be better prepared. Who would you prefer shoot at Saddam (or a burglar, rapist, murderer in your home), a youth raised in the ways of firearms or a kid who never touched one because his parents thought they were dangerous items. As a parent, I feel obligated to give my children all of the skills they will need to survive in this world, and that includes training in the use of firearms.

Our rights come from our Creator.

The gun simply protects them, from other goverments or our own.

The people of Great Britian and Austrailia are finding that out now. They have no way to protect their rights except by the good graces of their goverment. May God help them, because they can not help themselves.

We do indeed live in different worlds.

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

Some folks teach their kids martial arts. Some teach boxing/fighting. Some teach shooting. At least we have the right to teach and learn.

If you don't know about something, than you may have unfounded beliefs about it. We have found knives in caches, and thought it was pretty cool to do so. But we are confortable around them. Others may not have been exposed to enough of the world to feel responsible with knives,(guns, dental floss, etc) and shouldn't be expected to be confortable finding them in caches.

I guess this means I get to keep the awesome little pocket knife we had planned on placing. Good for me, I need a new one.

-Jennifer

PS- I learned shooting and knife throwing at 11 and have been comfortable with guns and knives since then. I know folks who were never exposed to guns and who freak out when they see people carrying them (unconcealed) in Montana.

Where am I going? I ain't certain.

When will I get there? I don't know.

All as I know is I am on my way!

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

Why shake your head? It's a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Would you shake your head if it was a hammer? A rifle is an inanimate object. It can't hurt a thing. Yes, he does have other toys. Lots in fact. Too many if you ask me. I never stated that he kept ammo in it or even had access to ammo for it. I'd trust him if he did but he does have friends over that I can't be sure are safe around firearms so he has to ask for it. There are still parts of this land where learning to shoot/hunt at an early age helps put food on the family table. I want him to be able to do so if need be someday. He is a crack shot when it comes to squirrels around the house already.

Without the ammo a rifle is a hunk of steel and wood. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Now how does this relate to geocaching? Lesse, um, while out scouting a hunting location we came upon a great hide spot in a wildlife preserve last week and will be placing a cache there after spring turkey season.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

quote:
There's a remarkable difference between the philosophy of a person whose rights are natural, and a person who gets their rights from their government.

We hold these truths to be self-evident...well at least at one point in time some very smart people did. Unfortunately what was self-evident to them and is now to to me, isn't to most people.

quote:
You still fail to know what is legal and what is not. The US soldiers are illegally in Iraq.

Not according to UN Resolution 1441 and over a dozen previous UN resoultions.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Here in the state of Georgia, USA pocket knives and multi tools are givens as not to be placed in caches. State prisoners clean the road sides and other public areas. Definately don't want to give them any weapons. That is why geocaches and state parks don't mix here, anyway.

BTW, I don't care which part of this planet you are on, just use common sense when placing ANY object in a cache.

I don't think you don't know how right you really are. I started teaching my son about knives and guns before he even started kindergarten. He is now 6. He has his own pocket knife and a rifle he keeps in his bedroom. If you teach 'em young about the dangers of things and how to respect them they see them as just another tool like a screwdriver or hammer in the garage. I would totally trust my son to find a knife or gun in the playground and know what to do once he found it. Don't touch, don't let anyone else touch, and find mom or dad. Ignorance breeds fear.

--

Please don't say there is ammunition kept in that room with the rifle as well. I've taught my son that guns are NOT something to be used as a toys, but I still wouldn't let him keep one in his room. There is still a great deal of maturing to do, and that one stupid moment in time where knowledge is thrown out the window in the name of fun is the time regret sets in for allowing that incident to occur.

Brian

Team A.I.

I understand that cachers get more and more upset with every new rule that is posted to caching, yeah it does kind of suk that people get bent about stupid little gadet games..I'm sure if all we put in caches were nerf balls, SOMEONE would find wrong doing in that too.... I'm sure if your out in the middle of no where and past a general pocket knife here and there threw a cache there probley won't be a problem....but there are so many more things in life that can be found to place in a cache, be creative...Don't get me wrong I to have a pocket knife for all occasions because of caching and love finding them ,but if it's going to bring bad rap for the game then lets lay off it for a while...

Found the cache but where is that damm GPS?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

If a kid means to hurt someone with a knife, most likely he'll get it from something other than a tupperware box in the woods. Unless old grandpa keeps his ammo box in the backyard. icon_rolleyes.gif

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Faster than a dial-up Internet connection, stronger than any band nerd, look up at the sky! ....is it a bat..... no .....is it my grandma's mustache..... NO! IT'S RADMAN Version 2.0!

...about convicts finding knives in caches.

What are they going to do with them? Over-power their keepers? Aren't their keepers well armed? Aren't these convicts supervised?

What happens if they find a dropped pocket knife in a camping area? Or a steel tent peg? A glass bottle which can be broken in half?

Let's assume they did find a pocket knife and were trying to take it back with them to the slammer...don't they check these guys out? Frisking? Metal detectors? Hello? Anyone home?

Gee. I wonder why a convict's pals don't go hide a pistol or knife in the park where he might be working?

George

quote:

"...Why shake your head? It's a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Would you shake your head if it was a hammer? A rifle is an inanimate object. It can't hurt a thing... (etc.)"

Well, I guess we can agree on one thing... with a little bit of effort and imagination, the public domain 'GX' logo can make a dadgum fine avatar.

icon_wink.gif

ontario1.gif

I would never give a child a knife just for the fact that developmentally they lack the coordination to manipulate opening and closing the blade safely. Sooner or later they are probably going to get a nasty cut from closing the blade. As a teacher, I once had a sixth grade girl rushed to the hospital ER from a field trip we were on because she cut her hand badly while using sharp scissors that were given to her to use on a project. Sharp objects and children don’t mix. What a damper on a fun day of geocaching that would be if little Johnny cut his finger off while playing with a knife he found in a cache.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

I came across some 11 function camp knifes and thought they would go grate in caches near rivers, back woods and such. Having been raised in a home where knifes and guns were just another tool. We knew that most anything can be used as a weapon, if the person handle them was deranged. icon_frown.gif But from now on I will not put any more knifes in caches and will remove any I find. I will continue to carry my weapon. A police officer that knows that I go out caching in the forrest and such told me to be sure to carry. icon_eek.gif

AGAIN I'M SORRY, I JUST DON'T LOOK ON THE DOWN SIDE OF EVERY THING.

quote:
Originally posted by TahoeJoe:

I would never give a child a knife just for the fact that developmentally they lack the coordination to manipulate opening and closing the blade safely. Sooner or later they are probably going to get a nasty cut from closing the blade. As a teacher, I once had a sixth grade girl rushed to the hospital ER from a field trip we were on because she cut her hand badly while using sharp scissors that were given to her to use on a project. Sharp objects and children don’t mix. What a damper on a fun day of geocaching that would be if little Johnny cut his finger off while playing with a knife he found in a cache.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

It's a wonder I nor 80% of the rest of us didn't cut our fingers off as children..and thank God for luck, we would have all shot each other... icon_rolleyes.gif

Since we can no longer place pocket knives in caches, and I'm stuck with a couple huge boxes of the things. I'm going to donate them to the folks at the hospital that put together the baskets for the newborns. If we get a knife in the hands of the children as soon as possible, perhaps we can teach them to not cut off thier fingers later on. Education is the key! Responsible use of cutting tools will naturally progress into responsible use of firearms, molotov cocktails, pointy sticks, golf clubs, broken glass bottles, hydrogen bombs, bb guns, and other weapons of mass destruction. icon_wink.gif