poket knives in caches

You're right. I added knives to that list. Thanks for pointing it out.

Since all ages of people hide and seek caches it is requested that knives not to be put in caches.

It has also been a request by many land managers not to put them in caches, for various reasons, including the fact that criminals in work parties often pick up trash in public parks. Obviously we want to be accomodating to the folks that let us go geocaching on their lands.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
...the fact that criminals in work parties often pick up trash in public parks...

No, we leave that for the convicts. icon_wink.gif

Funny, as a child I had a couple pocketknives, as did all my friends. It was considered a tool, not a weapon. Common sense should be your guide. Jeremy, would you archive a 5/5 cache if it contained a pocketknife?

IMHO, don't dumb down caches because some people are inept, in either child supervision or knife usage.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

That's ridiculous! Why would you archive a cache just because someone put a pocket knife in it?! Or was the knife listed as an original item?

Whatever, why would a knife result in archival? If age is an issue there are many caches with alcohol themes.

Sharpened pencils are just as dangerous as a knife. I recieved my first knife when I was five. I didn't kill myself or my sister with it.

It's not like your going to take the cache through an airport check point.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Caches don't get permanently archived. The reference is requested to be removed from the cache page, and the knife as well. If the request is refused, it's not listed on the web site.

You can disagree, but you're not the one who has to deal with land managers on a daily basis. Considering the number of alternative items you can put in caches, it seems like a minor issue.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

If there are any caches with alcohol in them, please let me know.

We ask that you don't put knives in caches. It's up to you to decide what a knife is and whether it is appropriate to put it in a cache.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Darn, I just ordered a half dozen Wenger Swiss Army Knives, that were on sale at Sierra Trading Post, for my caches. Now what am I going to do with them?

No lighters, no pocket knives, no Leatherman multi -tools, no dental floss icon_biggrin.gif ...at this rate pretty soon the only allowable cache items will be Nerf balls.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on March 25, 2003 at 05:44 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Darn, I just ordered a half dozen Wenger Swiss Army Knives, that were on sale at Sierra Trading Post, for my caches. Now what am I going to do with them?

I bought recently a 10-pack of small snap-off knifes (just cheapo plastic Stanley Knife copies) for my caches. Guess I will have 'tools' in my future caches and trades too...icon_rolleyes.gif

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

If there are any caches with alcohol in them, please let me know.

We ask that you don't put knives in caches. It's up to you to decide what a knife is and whether it is appropriate to put it in a cache.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

This quote seems to say (with a wink & nod) that knives are offically on the do not put in list, but if I don't know it it is not a problem.

So, obey the rule if you want, it's up to each cacher to decide. Just don't tell Jeremy a knife is in a cache.

I understand that Jeremy has to have a official stance on this and other subjects having to do with liability for this website.

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

I always used common sense when placing small pocket tools in a cache. If I had to hike for a few miles to find the cache in the middle of no-where, I had no problem trading them. But if the cache were in a park or along the roadside, where state prisoners could be used to clean up, I would stick to trading nerf balls. Once again common sense should be used. The new rule is no knifes, so love it or leave it. icon_razz.gif

Let's definately facilitate Jeremy's life and decrease the site's liability by not listing knives...

Let's call them, hmm... Something innocuous, oh I know: lighters! {grin}

Heh,

Randy

PS: When the airlines new restrictions went into affect after Sept. 11th, my Dad was laughing--you know you can cut someone's throat with a plastic comb!?!!

PPS: I just thought of a GREAT idea--the "Forbidden Items Cache"! Contents unlisted, don't log your trade--but please be sure it includes items deemed dangerous to the public welfaire or listed as prohibited on Geocaching.com. Any donations of fireworks gladly accepted! Hehe.. Sound good for my front yard!

TNLN becomes TGLH (took gun, left a hostage, will trade back in 24 hours unless in prison or dead)

quote:
No lighters, no pocket knives, no Leatherman multi -tools, no dental floss ...at this rate pretty soon the only allowable cache items will be Nerf balls.

NERF BALLS!!! do you know dangerous a nerf ball is!!!a young child might choke on one if they put in their mouth icon_wink.gif

I'm a man and I can change if I have to,I guess.

quote:
No lighters, no pocket knives, no Leatherman multi -tools, no dental floss ...at this rate pretty soon the only allowable cache items will be Nerf balls.

We'll always have an endless supply of McToys (assuming the deadly suffocating wrapper has been removed)

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

I bought recently a 10-pack of small snap-off knifes (just cheapo plastic Stanley Knife copies) for my caches. Guess I will have 'tools' in my future caches and trades too...icon_rolleyes.gif

Unfortunaly I look at snap-off blades in a whole new light now since that thing that will go unmentioned happened. I use them a lot though, especially the Olfa ones, for cutting leather and stuff, they are great. Just probably not in caches.

It's hard to know where to draw the line, as common sense fluxuates from person to person. I placed some camping utensils in a cache once, a Spoon/knife/fork fold-out combo. It probably would have a hard time cutting butter. Toe-nail clippers are probably ok. I think, unless they have that pointy nail-file thingy!!!!!!!!!! .

And don't get me started on Nerf balls!

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

Let's definately facilitate Jeremy's life and decrease the site's liability by not listing knives...

That's a huge leap. There are no lines to read between here. If you don't want to go with the wishes of the land managers, that's your business. I'm just telling you how it is.

We're just a listing service. If you choose to ignore our request it's your decision. If you want to trivialize it, that's also your business.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

I don't know. I left a new Leatherman Tool (has many knives on it) in a cache and the next guy, with his kids was very happy - at least according to his post.

Seems like a knife or tool with knive seems to go hand in hand with the outdoor wilderness types who geocache.

I'd also think that if someone, even kids, who could use a GPS to find the cache, exibit some kind of maturity. Like a prior poster said, I think I've had knives with me since I was around 6-ish.

With man, it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible!

That's a huge leap. There are no lines to read between here. If you don't want to go with the wishes of the land managers, that's your business. I'm just telling you how it is.

We're just a listing service. If you choose to ignore our request it's your decision. If you want to trivialize it, that's also your business.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Since the majority of cachers don't read or post on the forums, how are they supposed to know knives are verbotten? I didn't see them listed on the FAQs page as not be suitable items for trade. Is there another page where they are listed?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

"...Don't trade. Just a log book and a not too pointy pen. That's all I need..."

Yup, what George said. Just think of all of the controversy that could be avoided if that were the case (not to mention a much easier task of cache placement and maintenance)? No more b**ching over who 'traded down' with what, no more hand wringing over what should or shouldn't be left in a cache container, no more angst about whether a cache might plundered. Just a good dose of fresh air, the thrill of the hunt, and a few friendly lines left in a log book ...sounds pretty good to me.

ontario1.gif

This has been discussed to death before, in another thread. The question is moot, at least in Georgia. Long before knives were officially prohibited as trade items, well-meaning GGA officers began confiscating them from caches. They generally wind up as door prizes at the next meeting.

Disabling/archiving caches that have knives in them is a new wrinkle, but not unexpected ... those same GGA officers are also approvers / admins.

It's a pity, especially for multi-tool-type articles, but it's what TPTB have decided. Let's just accept it and move on. As Jeremy mentioned, there are a lot of other items we can still trade.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

From the FAQ:

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Sounds like Liberal propaganda to me.

Always remember to tie your shoes before caching.

Knives are not illegal nor do they have an age limit on them. If you let your kid open a cache before you check it, shame on you. If you don't want your kid to have a knife, stay away from my caches.

-Lets play global Thremoneucler war-

quote:
Originally posted by Ruprex:

Knives are not illegal nor do they have an age limit on them. If you let your kid open a cache before you check it, shame on you. If you don't want your kid to have a knife, stay away from my caches.

Children find caches without parental supervision. It happens all the time.

quote:

By that logic we shouldn't even own pocketknives right? After all, it could fall out of my pocket and some innocent child could find it and become a mass murderer.

Jeremy is pointing out the policy that he has based on information he's received from land managers. The police are not going to come break down your door if you leave a pocketknife in a cache. Do what you think best.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

By that logic we shouldn't even own pocketknives right? After all, it could fall out of my pocket and some innocent child could find it and become a mass murderer.

Are you really as irresponsible as you sound, or are you just pressing your viewpoint for idealogical reasons? I can respect the latter...

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:

What can I say to that? My kids wont. Again, shame on the parents who let their kids Geocache without first making sure it's safe. It’s like Halloween. Would you send your kids Trick or Treating without checking the loot? I hope not.

It's not my responsibility to make sure your kids don't play with matches. Nor is it my responsibility to make sure your kids don't play with knives. It is your responsibility to make sure your kids know right from wrong. It is not my responsibility to make sure your kids do no wrong. They can stab themselves (or others) the same with any hatpin or writing utensil found in most caches.

My position is that Geocaching is for everyone...not just kids. If I want to put a knife in my cache, I should be able to. It's not illegal. I've found knives in caches and sure have appreciated it. I post my caches and say there is a knife. Just as I’ve seen caches in areas of nudists. They post it, it’s fine.

You have knives in your kitchen, what's the difference? I completely understand the drugs and guns thing but the knife thing is beyond me.

I just don't like that every time I turn around my rights are infringed because someone thinks that someone might get hurt. Teach your children well and we wouldn't have this problem. Consequently, I don’t recall anyone getting hurt from a knife in a cache.

I'm not trying to start a fight here but just as people will voice their opinion on why they think things should or should not happen, so will I.

quote:

Consequently, I don’t recall anyone getting hurt from a knife in a cache.

A friend's son found a cache with a knife inside, and did infact get cut rather badly while playing with it. The cache was hidden in a nearby park, where children frequently play.

It is true that there are plenty of dangers in the world, but as responsible people should we really be introducing MORE items with such a great potential for injury into the natural habitat of children at play?

quote:

quote:

Consequently, I don’t recall anyone getting hurt from a knife in a cache.

A friend's son found a cache with a knife inside, and did infact get cut rather badly while playing with it. The cache was hidden in a nearby park, where children frequently play.

It is true that there are plenty of dangers in the world, but as responsible people should we really be introducing MORE items with such a great potential for injury into the natural habitat of children at play?

Well, there you have it. Some dork put a knife in a childrens playground. It is true that some people just don't get it. On the other hand, your friend is also a dork for letting his son:

1. Get the cache without proper supervision

2. Not teaching his kids knives are not something to play with.

I think you have hit upon the answer (in #2).

We need to educate ALL children about knives. I think that they should teach proper knife handling in kindergarden. This way, the children would all know how to handle knives (like the Eskimo children do) and we could then place knives in caches.

Who's with me, let's give thse little ones plenty of knives to get a good deal of experience with!

(I'm going to buy stock at "Band-aid" right now!)

--majicman

quote:

quote:

1. Get the cache without proper supervision

He wasn't _looking_ for the cache, he found it by total accident while playing.

quote:

2. Not teaching his kids knives are not something to play with.

Ok, I'll grant you that one. icon_wink.gif

And I grant you the other one:

Lets not hide knives in playgrounds icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

We need to educate ALL children about knives. I think that they should teach proper knife handling in kindergarden. This way, the children would all know how to handle knives (like the Eskimo children do) and we could then place knives in caches.

Who's with me, let's give thse little ones plenty of knives to get a good deal of experience with!

(I'm going to buy stock at "Band-aid" right now!)

--majicman

However silly it may sound, it's true. Educate your children and they wont hurt themselves. Same goes with guns and any other potential hazard...

quote:

I don't think you don't know how right you really are. I started teaching my son about knives and guns before he even started kindergarten. He is now 6. He has his own pocket knife and a rifle he keeps in his bedroom. If you teach 'em young about the dangers of things and how to respect them they see them as just another tool like a screwdriver or hammer in the garage. I would totally trust my son to find a knife or gun in the playground and know what to do once he found it. Don't touch, don't let anyone else touch, and find mom or dad. Ignorance breeds fear.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

quote:

However silly it may sound, it's true. Educate your children and they wont hurt themself. Same goes with guns but that's another topic entirely.

Why are guns a different topic? Why not put guns in caches? How about poison?

Why have any restrictions at all? Let's even allow food. Its the responsibility of all the animals out there to teach their young not to try to eat geocaches.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

quote:

I don't think you don't know how right you really are. I started teaching my son about knives and guns before he even started kindergarten. He is now 6. He has his own pocket knife and a rifle he keeps in his bedroom. If you teach 'em young about the dangers of things and how to respect them they see them as just another tool like a screwdriver or hammer in the garage. I would totally trust my son to find a knife or gun in the playground and know what to do once he found it. Don't touch, don't let anyone else touch, and find mom or dad. Ignorance breeds fear.

--

http://nnin.net

Amen!