nobody looks for my cache!

i live in kenai alaska and apparently there is no geocachers in my area...there are three caches placed here, but not by residents...travelers too our state...two of which are now gone. i placed a cache a couple of weeks ago, but nobody has looked for it. i would really like to send it to someplace and have it be found etc etc! in anyone is willing to hide it for me in a more populated area and send me the camera when it is used up i would sure appreciate it!!! it seem other peoples caches are found within hours!!

I would have to agree with R.K., if there aren't any cachers in your area, its upto you to educate others about our little game. Once you get the ball rolling it should catch on.

If you you haven't had any hits on your cache by the end of the summer (September/October) contact me and I'll be happy to be your surrogate cache keeper.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

If you place it, they will come.

Geocaching is a VERY new sport. The first cache was only placed in May, 2000. Now there are caches in 121 countries! People are joining the sport every day, and as they run out of caches in their area, they start going farher out. People are even doing them while they are travelling on vacation. Don't worry, they will come!

ok...i agree that it is a new sport, i just found out about it two months ago and found my first cache the next day and was hooked,(no gps)..now i have a gps and and found the two other caches in my 100 mile radius. my wife and kids really loved it, but of course...we were out of caches!...the funny part is that we told all our friends about it and they all love it too, with the exceptions of our alaska friends. our friends down south are going bonkers setting and finding caches every weekend...here its like "sounds cool..how much money is in the cache.." when you tell them there is no money or treasure they lose interest. wierd. i am going to set five caches in the next few weeks on the anchorage to homer highway with really cool stuff from all over the world...i will make each one themed with trinkets from different countries i have been to lately and they will have some pretty valuable stuff in them...i will either get some geocachers to go for them, or i will get plundered! either way....

the reporter thing seems like a good idea...cept that is how i discovered geocaching was through an article in our local paper...people aren't motivated to do stuff around here w/out a large return...i think that it is the north slope oil money syndrome...geocaching isnt as much fun as fishing or going to tahiti...

onerka35

I know it's tough but be patient, keep planting caches and spreading the word. Eventually it will catch on. People that read the same article as you may have been initially discouraged by seeing there weren't many in the area.....if they start seeing them pop up it may stir their interest enough to get them out there hunting. Something else you may want to think of trying is planting a traveling cache on the outskirts of a more active area... then if the cache get picked up and moved you can still have the fun of reading about it's journey. Gilbert's Stash is such a traveling cache... the thing with traveling caches is that you must keep up the communication to keep it posting correctly... but it may be the extra time and attention that you need right now to feel apart of the geocaching community. Just a thought! Good Luck to you and Happy caching! icon_smile.gif

onerka35

I know it's tough but be patient, keep planting caches and spreading the word. Eventually it will catch on. People that read the same article as you may have been initially discouraged by seeing there weren't many in the area.....if they start seeing them pop up it may stir their interest enough to get them out there hunting. Something else you may want to think of trying is planting a traveling cache on the outskirts of a more active area... then if the cache get picked up and moved you can still have the fun of reading about it's journey. Gilbert's Stash is such a traveling cache... the thing with traveling caches is that you must keep up the communication to keep it posting correctly... but it may be the extra time and attention that you need right now to feel apart of the geocaching community. Just a thought! Good Luck to you and Happy caching! icon_smile.gif

According to the cache page, it's only been out there for 5 days (May 4 and today is May 9). Many cachers are too busy finding caches on the weekend to check and see if any new ones are out there. They come home, and watch the cache pages during the week for new ones in the area and then head out on the following weekend.

I'd be very surprised if your cache isn't found and logged by Sunday night.

Unless you've got a fanatic in the area that is out to have first blood on all the new caches, I'd guess that it usually takes about a week to get a hit.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by onerka35:

i live in kenai alaska and apparently there is no geocachers in my area...there are three caches placed here, but not by residents...travelers too our state...two of which are now gone. i placed a cache a couple of weeks ago, but nobody has looked for it. i would really like to send it to someplace and have it be found etc etc! in anyone is willing to hide it for me in a more populated area and send me the camera when it is used up i would sure appreciate it!!! it seem other peoples caches are found within hours!!

It does take a little time. Even here in heavily populated and cached Indiana, I had a cache go nearly a month before anyone visited. Some go weeks between visits. It's OK.

Just keep hiding great caches, and telling people, it will happen.

Keep on Caching,

Bluespreacher

quote:

You could be this guy. His cache has been around since 10/2001 and has only been found twice.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9120

micky4.gif

====================================

"Boredom is the state of one's mind"

====================================

I've received a similar (what's in it for me) reaction from some of my friends around here... they can't understand hunting for something without a profit.

Also... while it appears (from other logs) that there are a few geocachers in the Anchorage area... you need to keep in mind that your location (and its population density) is obviously going to limit the frequency that your cache(s) will be visitted.

Planting others in your area... and planting several along the highway will probably help to lure them down your way.

By the way... Did you see how long it took the : "Almost" The End of the Road Cache to be found? But... it WAS found!

By the way... When my dad was alive, he loved Alaska, and we made several trips... meeting in Anchorage and driving down to Homer to do a little Halibut fishing. We also did some pretty awesome salmon fishing out of Kenai... I once caught a 67 pound salmon there!

Good Luck! Have patience! and keep the light on for 'em icon_wink.gif

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

I've received a similar (what's in it for me) reaction from some of my friends around here... they can't understand hunting for something without a profit.

Also... while it appears (from other logs) that there are a few geocachers in the Anchorage area... you need to keep in mind that your location (and its population density) is obviously going to limit the frequency that your cache(s) will be visitted.

Planting others in your area... and planting several along the highway will probably help to lure them down your way.

By the way... Did you see how long it took the : "Almost" The End of the Road Cache to be found? But... it WAS found!

By the way... When my dad was alive, he loved Alaska, and we made several trips... meeting in Anchorage and driving down to Homer to do a little Halibut fishing. We also did some pretty awesome salmon fishing out of Kenai... I once caught a 67 pound salmon there!

Good Luck! Have patience! and keep the light on for 'em icon_wink.gif

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

I agree that you should be patient and "talk it up" -- tell people the real "treasure" is in the discovery of the outdoors and nature. My lure was that walking is SO much more INTERESTING on a greenbelt or in a neat primitive location than on the (BORING) sidewalks of my subdivision.

I am lucky to live in a "hotbed" of geocaching -- we have over 200 within 100 miles, over 100 within only 15 miles! We have some really "go-get-um" geocachers and cache placers. My hubby just put his first cache out this weekend and a find was logged in the first 24 hours! People are HUNGRY to geocache around here. Just keep plugging away, you will soon have enough geocachers around to have a grand time!

quote:

You could be this guy. His cache has been around since 10/2001 and has only been found twice.

Heh, try this one. its mine. Hidden 5-6-01. found twice. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2349

Sometimes it takes a while, even in a heavily populated area. Not everyone has the means to reach them all. maybe I should increase the difficulty, considering the number of finds is so low.

Michael

icon_razz.gif

quote:

Heh, try this one. its mine. Hidden 5-6-01. found twice. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2349

Sometimes it takes a while, even in a heavily populated area. Not everyone has the means to reach them all. maybe I should increase the difficulty, considering the number of finds is so low.

Michael

icon_razz.gif

quote:

i live in kenai alaska and apparently there is no geocachers in my area...there are three caches placed here, but not by residents...travelers too our state...two of which are now gone. i placed a cache a couple of weeks ago, but nobody has looked for it.

Still no takers, I see.