What makes a good trade item?

bigredmed

As we have had the topic of geotrash on the forums again today, and it would appear that the problems are not getting better, I would like us to do something about it.

In an attempt to be positive, I would like to develop a set of simple guidelines regarding what good trade items would be so that as people come into the sport, they can get an idea of what good trade items are and not just a list of banned items.

To start:

1. I would suggest that the trade items should be novel. (McToys are good for a kid-theme cache, but not for every cache.)

2. If the cache you are hunting has a theme, then stick to it.

3. Cool items from work that are not commonly recognizable should have some label attached some way so that others will know its significance.

4. Items should be in good order (broken items don't work for caches.)

5. Advertising on items (company names on pens, for example) is cool, particularly when its for a company that doesn't advertise often or is a sector company that doesn't do general market advertising.

Things I have found or left that seemed to work well:

1. Fossilized wood

2. Fossil sea creatures/cool rocks-crystals

3. Carabiner key chains

4. Flashlights

5. AA batteries (working)

6. Mini tools

7. Signature items are always cool.

Commercial sources that I have found recently includes Ebay's wholesale area especially the Sporting Goods and Home sections. Pharmaceutical advertising (pens, post-it notes, key chains) also works sometimes.

Hardware store at the $1 sale.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

1. Fossilized wood

I'd throw it out thinking, "Someone traded a rock for the McToy. How low can you get?"

quote:

Great, someone left the cache open and this poor creature died in the box. Parked cars get up to 180 degrees in the sun, how about caches?

quote:
3. Carabiner key chains

4. Flashlights

6. Mini tools

Agreed, these items are cool.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

About a month ago my wife brought home some of those Koozie Drink Keeper things...the ones that are made of foam..these were camouflage and were imprinted with advertising.(She works for a t.v. station.) they seem to go real fast as cache items... We look for anything we can glue a magnet to. Rubber Lizard, dice, etc. We are beginning a refrigerator magnet collection made up of cache items. Constant reminders of fun cache days icon_smile.gif

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

Well, since the only purpose of this board is to give and receive opinions, I won't be shy....

quote:

1. I would suggest that the trade items should be novel. (McToys are good for a kid-theme cache, but not for every cache.)

I like the rule but not the exception. I am about to turn Geocache vigilante and removing McToys from caches - especially when I see so many that apply pressure to the lid (of a tupperware cache) and will probably push it off in time. It is the worst sort of junk and makes this activity look childish and stupid.

I'd rather people TNLN as a rule and trade when there is an exception. If you are wanting to attract thoughtful, intelligent people to this activity....those who are going to respect the areas, CITO and that sort of thing, you aren't going to do it with a can of litter, IMO (or at least the chances will be reduced)

The rest I agree with. But I think I am going to create and or join an Anti-McToy club here.... I just can't stand them.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

quote:

1. Fossilized wood

I'd throw it out thinking, "Someone traded a rock for the McToy. How low can you get?"

quote:

Great, someone left the cache open and this poor creature died in the box. Parked cars get up to 180 degrees in the sun, how about caches?

quote:
3. Carabiner key chains

4. Flashlights

6. Mini tools

Agreed, these items are cool.

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

I like rocks and fossils, many of them are far more interesting than the cheap plastic stuff of man.

I'm not sure about the creatures dying of heat in a cache box - I'm pretty sure they died a REALLY long time ago.....

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

I like the rule but not the exception. I am about to turn Geocache vigilante and removing McToys from caches - especially when I see so many that apply pressure to the lid (of a tupperware cache) and will probably push it off in time. It is the worst sort of junk and makes this activity look childish and stupid.

I'd rather people TNLN as a rule and trade when there is an exception.

That is one way for the game to morph. To become a TNLN as a rule game. For those of us who like the trading, this would be disappointing, but not something that would get me out of the game.

Taking McToys out and getting all Charles Bronson on the caches is not a positive step.

One thing that really bugs me about this game is the lists of rules about what NOT to do, but nothing much about what TO do. Name a sport where this is the case? Golf has rules, but they also have lessons and pros and libraries full of books on how to do it better.

We need to start moving the sport in a more formal direction, with some guidance for new people.

I'll play devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. I am new to the activity of geocaching (only three finds) but when trying to determine what to leave in trade I have used two rules of thumb: 1. Equivalent Value (only take something nice if leaving something nice) and 2. I leave something for someone of my own age group as do my children.

Most if not all of my geocaching will be done with my children and and I must admit, my kids would be thrilled to find a small selection of McToys to trade for!

Doesn't the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" apply here?

Brand new at this, and I'm not into it for the trinkets, but I've resolved to pocket a few items with some real value -- not expensive, but things that might interest someone, either new or in great condition. I don't eat McFood and neither do the kids, so that's out. I'm packing a new, in the box stopwatch, an English 10 pound note, NYC subway token, that kind of stuff.

Seems like if you give any thought at all about your trade item, it should be a good one.

I have caught myself looking at the cache pages that contain my finds and see that more often than not, my/our trade items seem to go rather quickly.

The kids love the Mctoys, but I seldom take anything, unless it really grabs my interest.

I refrain from placing fast food toys, because if I do take a specific item, a Mctoy is not trading up IMHO.

You can find inexpensive items everywhere. A Mctoy is a freebie that accompanies a kid's meal.

I have to agree that a Mctoy isn't a trade item that contains alot of thought, but again, kids love 'em.

I do catch myself occasionally taking a dirty, broken or otherwise free toy and placing something of higher value. Then I bring them home and they make good missles for the kids to put holes in the walls.

For each his own, I guess. Darnit! I still haven't conveyed my opinion in full.

Good thread, though icon_smile.gif

48511_5100.JPG

Green acres is the place to be.....

I hear some agonizing going on about whether or not promotional items (things with logo on them, for instance) is appropriate. I have little problem with them, but I can certainly see the other side of the argument. At least you are dealing with adults and adult minds. That is quite different when it comes to McToys and posts to the effect "kids love em" only makes me question it more. Is this not a marketing gimick aimed at kids? Is that acceptable? Personally, I abhor the cheap, valueless (or bad values) that McDonalds represents and wouldn't want my kids swallowing it hook line and sinker, but to each his own I suppose.....

We pretty much like everything or nothing. Mike loves plastic lizards (go figure). I like rocks. We both like signature items or *cool unusual things* like geocoins or pins.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

My thoughts on McToys are this... if there is a lot of room in a cache, fine, leave one. If you leave one, either don't take anything or take something that is really lame and just taking up space. I would have to draw the line at crummy McToys though. Anything grubby and/or broken doesn't belong in a cache, and I have often seen USED McToys in caches. C'mon... who wants a second-third-fourth hand McToy? I have found a few caches whose lids did not fit on properly with big giant McToys in them... that's pretty stupid and I removed the McToys and left my signature item, calling card, and another cool item like a calculator, flashlight, biner, etc... Also, my trading tends to reflect the quality of the cache. A really neat cache that takes thought and effort and obviously took the same to hide is more likely to get stocked up with cool stuff from me than a 1/1 stuck in a tree next to the parking lot.

I don't really take anything from caches anymore unless it's a signature item or a REALLY unique item. I pretty much always leave something (on top of my sig item and calling card) though.

-Zach

-Team Zen-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

So let me summarize the discussion so far:

1. McToys are probably not a thing to trade, though other child-oriented toys or items are OK, given that this is a family sport and the trading appeals to the kids alot.

2. Broken stuff as mentioned at the outset is a "Bozo No-No" (something so bad, you are a bozo for doing it.)

3. Trade items should have a coolness factor to them. Items are cool when they are unique to the cacher (a sig item), uncommon (foreign coins, fossils, crystals), or not available to the common community (business specific items, memorabilia of a nature that is not generally made widely available).

4. The golden rule applies to trade items. "If you wouldn't want to hike 2 miles to find that item, don't put it in the cache for someone else to hike 2 miles to find it."

This is good. We need to review these guidelines, add or delete as needed and then post them as a part of the FAQ's section.

quote:

That is quite different when it comes to McToys and posts to the effect "kids love em" only makes me question it more. Is this not a marketing gimick aimed at kids? Is that acceptable? Personally, I abhor the cheap, valueless (or bad values) that McDonalds represents and wouldn't want my kids swallowing it hook line and sinker, but to each his own I suppose.....

Look at it this way: McToys in caches let kids get the (sometimes) cool toy without having to patronize McDonald's. No association to cheap hamburgers is made. Stick it to the clown!

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

quote:

That is quite different when it comes to McToys and posts to the effect "kids love em" only makes me question it more. Is this not a marketing gimick aimed at kids? Is that acceptable? Personally, I abhor the cheap, valueless (or bad values) that McDonalds represents and wouldn't want my kids swallowing it hook line and sinker, but to each his own I suppose.....

Look at it this way: McToys in caches let kids get the (sometimes) cool toy without having to patronize McDonald's. No association to cheap hamburgers is made. Stick it to the clown!

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

_Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back_ -- Dar Williams

Hmmm, good point.

I thought it nice that I give out mp3 cds. Either a collection of random songs or OTR (old time radio shows). This is a cheap (cd-r cost) way to get rid of, or share, your old mp3 cds.

I've already put a few out and I have a stock of 15 cds I've gotten bored of ready to go out.

I figured it was a neat way to share artists you may never have heard of. I myself used to download songs off the internet, but as its getting harder and harder to find 'rare' gems, I would love to find someone's cd of a few hundred songs waiting in a cache somewhere for me to discover. I could try them out, copy them to my hard drive if I liked them or research them further and buy their cds! If I didn't like them, I'd put them out on the next cache.

I'll bet there is someone out there who might get concerned about legal issues over copyrights. If so, I'm not talking about "B. Spears" or anybody with a huge record label. Think your favorite garage band who has posted a couple songs on mp3.com or other weird, freely available sound or movie clips to download off of elsewhere on the internet.

We always leave our sig item, (our geocard fridge magnet and a shark tooth) but carry many other trade items just in case there is something in the cache we like. We always try to trade up, I have noticed in some of the logs I watch, our trade items go out to the next person visiting the cache.

We used to be directionally challenged, now we have a GPS, and are high-tech directionally challenged. At least now we know where we are when we are lost.

What about 'regular' toys, like crayons, cars, bubbles and rubber duckies? Those are not Mc Toys, but if I read the discussion right, those are 'too childish' for us cacher-adults??? Personally I still like to find rubber duckies, so I put them in caches, but would other cachers really be dissapointed to find those?

I usually cache alone, and I don't see much that I'm interested in taking. The Woodbutcher side of me turns mushrooms on a lathe and I leave these in the caches I find. I sign the bottom, write down what what kind of wood it is and put a finish on it, except on the cedar. I'll be making some Xmas ornaments out of wood soon, so they'll be showing up in the Chicago area in the near future. The next item will be the golf tee game you see in the Cracker Barrel restaraunts. I've already made 24 of them for my woodworking club's Toys for Kids program. I figure these are something a child or an adult will like. I know I enjoy making them and giving them away.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, Im just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

quote:
Originally posted by Canyon Rose:

What about 'regular' toys, like crayons, cars, bubbles and rubber duckies? Those are not Mc Toys, but if I read the discussion right, those are 'too childish' for us cacher-adults??? Personally I still like to find rubber duckies, so I put them in caches, but would other cachers really be dissapointed to find those?

Why not? I'd be concerned about crayons and the melting factor in the summer, but if the cache is shaded, crayons and rubber duckies would be good trade items imo. But, then again, I'm partial to rubber duckies. icon_wink.gif

5307_1000.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

I really like new things in caches not something left just because someone didn't have anything else planned to leave. I admit that I am guilty of this but not very often. The new flashlights that can be used everyday and carabiners are always a item I can't turn down no matter how many I already have. Geo-coins or a signature item are another item I like to find.

Team sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

I think everyone here has a good point, the problem is the people leaving JUNK probably don't read or post in these forums, thus will never have any idea of the frustrations they cause. Myself, I TN, but leave signature tokens and hand twisted scorpions. I'm in it just for the thrill of finding the cache.

roadstr

A bit off-topic, but I have a request. Those who mention signature items, could you please post a link to a picture or page that shows the items? I love the idea of signature items (wooden mushrooms? golf tee games? hand twisted scorpions?) and would like some ideas. When you mention geo-coins, do you make them yourself or buy them? I've seen both.

What do people think of flattened pennies/quarters that you get from historical sites?

I myself leave new batteries that I got in a brick and were packaged as pairs. I reckon someone running low on juice but with a couple more caches on their day's list would appreciate a boost. (There, I ended up on-topic)

Dave

With my limited experience in caching I have only one concept I'd like to push here... We should try to keep caches adult-friendly. There's nothing wrong with putting kids' items in a cache and I have no problem with McToys, but when a cache is full of brightly colored plastic kiddie things and nothing else, it has little trade appeal to adults who may find it. Fine if the cache has a kiddie theme, but not for everyone else.

My two favorite things I've found so far were a potholder (it sounds prosaic, but I needed a potholder!) and a keychain (I liked it better than the one I was using). Items I bought for trade purposes include pocket calculators, tape measures, paperweights... and a couple of small toys, in case I find a toy I want.

In short, adults are doing this, single adults without kids, and I believe you should try not to marginalize us by making the sport too child-centric.

I'll post some pictures of the mushrooms and the Golf Tee game as soon as I figure out how.

Mushroom pic is on my profile.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, Im just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

[This message was edited by Woodbutcher68 on September 01, 2003 at 12:52 PM.]

Personally, I tend to get kids meals whenever I get fast food because I don't need the calories from a full value meal and can't afford them anyway. What do I do with the toys? I save them in a big box and one of these days I'm going to do a cache with nothing but kids meal toys. To **** off the 95% of cachers that hate them?? NO. To make it fun for kids. Because I want to be able to take my family caching with me and let them have fun.

My normal trade item? I've been putting books and stickers in different caches. Put a dollar in a cache and that was swiped immediately. My signature item so far is a flower pen (I'm going to make a couple different ones so I can put something in smaller caches too)

A rule of thumb is this.... If you wouldn't want it, don't put it in a cache.

I have been thinking about this and was wondering if some of those KFC handy wipes would be acceptable? They have a slight sent, are indivdually wrapped and would be handy to clean the hands after finding the cache, but the critter aspect bothers me.

Suggestions...

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

quote:

1. Fossilized wood...

ROTFL Thanks, i needed that icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Farrell:

. . .In short, adults are doing this, single adults without kids. . .

yeah, what he said!

quote:
Originally posted by fly46 :

What do I do with the toys? I save them in a big box and one of these days I'm going to do a cache with nothing but kids meal toys. To **** off the 95% of cachers that hate them?? NO. To make it fun for kids. Because I want to be able to take my family caching with me and let them have fun.

See, that's a good idea. At your McCache people would be trading even when they left McToyz. I've got no problem keeping it fun for the crumb crunchin crowd, but it's just not right when you see logs "Took Multi-tool, left McToy with drool stains and missing 1 wheel, Signed log.".

How's this for a "rule"...

Imagin you are looking at both the item you are taking and leaving in your local store, Do they have the same (similar) price tag on 'em?

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

Personally, I tend to get kids meals whenever I get fast food because I don't need the calories from a full value meal and can't afford them anyway.....

I'll get the dollar burger which ends up a 1.08 with tax (keep some spare change in my car for that). I never get fries - which are probably the least healthy thing you could get. I rarely get a drink. That is a cheap meal and plenty for me. I tend to stay away from any sort of "package deals" here or anywhere. From the baffled expression of the workers there, I guess I'm the exception. It seems a faux pas to not order, in knee jerk fashion, fries with a burger or chips with a sandwich. icon_rolleyes.gif

BAD CACHE ITEMS:

*Food "attracks animals",

candy "melts in the heat",

*MRE's "even you didn't want them in the military, why do I?",

*Scented candles "animals again"

*Scented dental floss " squirrels with nice teeth"

*Condoms " mommy whats that and would you use that?"

*Live Ammo " thats what I wanted my nephew finding"

*Bubbles " sticky sticky sticky"

OK CACHE ITEMS:

*Mctoys "If there not busted and if there aren't 20 of them"

*Match box cars, " There are a lot of them already out there"

GOOD CACHE ITEMS:

* Where's george dollars

* Signiture Items

* Travel Bugs

* Useful gadets, tools, unique items, flash lights, small glove box tools, screw driver sets plyers etc etc

* A Good Book

* Books on tape

* New kids toys

* Puzzle books

* Coins!

* Small back Pack items-- caribiners, fanny packs, a new nail cutting kit

* new card decks ---water proof cards.

* Money ---large sums of money.

* local fast food coupons---its great to find 2$ worth of Dunkin Donuts coupons for a coffee on that cold winter day, you forgot your wallet...

*ponchos

pocket kites for kids and big kids toooo!

* Calling Cards---really cheap at some stores!

Get the idea!

There so much is more, be creative, have fun don't leave Junk!

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Money.

Lots and lots of money. icon_smile.gif

Myself I'm thinking of using / leaving Scratchers (state lottery type) in a new cache that I'm getting ready I put a First Finder's prize a scratcher for a chance to win $25,000 a year, for life ~~~ (cost $3.00)

~~~ "And now where" ~~~

quote:
Originally posted by Mzee & Associates:

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Money.

Lots and lots of money. icon_smile.gif

Myself I'm thinking of using / leaving Scratchers (state lottery type) in a new cache that I'm getting ready I put a First Finder's prize a scratcher for a chance to win $25,000 a year, for life ~~~ (cost $3.00)

~~~ "And now where" ~~~

Scratched or un-scratched? icon_biggrin.gif

We normally leave a Suzy & a Sacky (round dollars) in clear plastic coin holders. We also like to leave blank cd-r & cd-rw's. & the thing that goes really quick---casino tokens. $1, $5, & even $10 tokens! People just love 'em. But special rocks we collected are good too. icon_wink.gif

Shirley of 2oldfarts

Human beings can always be counted on to assert with vigor their God-given right to be stupid.--Dean Koontz

quote:
Originally posted by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders):

......& the thing that goes really quick---casino tokens. $1, $5, & even $10 tokens! People just love 'em. But special rocks we collected are good too. icon_wink.gif

I took a friend of mine caching and he found one of these in a cache. I wish I had gotten to it first, but I was already at the stage of thinking that there was nothing but junk in these caches. I have never been to a casino and I was impressed with the design on this one. I didn't realize it - I just thought they were red, blue, etc..... I guess they, too, have to be concerned with counterfeits....

A casino chip like that would be one of the few things I would be interested in trading for.

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey: Is this not a marketing gimick aimed at kids? Is that acceptable? Personally, I abhor the cheap, valueless (or bad values) that McDonalds represents and wouldn't want my kids swallowing it hook line and sinker, but to each his own I suppose.....

I've found that my kids enjoy a McToy found in a cache much more than one they get in a Happy Meal. Must be something about the family outing or something. I don't know for sure. It's my way of undermining McDonald's.

Just think! If all the children got their McToys from caches Ronald would go broke! icon_wink.gif

And, by the way, it's a marketing gimmick aimed at parents that can't say "No!"

~~~In my world, nothing ever goes wrong!~~~

Just my two cents worth, but I have no real use for McToys, nor do my kids, mainly because they've reached an age where they have moved up from them. (They used to like them though). It seems a poor trade item but if that's all ya got, then go for it.

We have decided since we love visiting the Battleship Texas down here in Freeport, that we could do two things at once. We purchase items from the gift shop there to use as trade items. If I am making up a cache to put out, I'll sometimes go and buy some bigger ticket items, thehats, scarves, or even a t-shirt, as well as the smaller stuff like the dog tags, reefer magnets, pens, pencils, whistles, etc...

If we're just buying for trading stuff, we use mostly the dog tags, kind of a sig item for us, as well as the other small stuff. If I hit some other significant place we also pick up some items, like when we went to the Pensacola Naval Air Station and hit the Naval Aviation Museum, or the D-Day Museum in New Orleans. Patches, pins, stickers, etc, as well as any other smaller less expensive trade items are always to be found at such places. Through our purchases we are also supporting activities we really enjoy.

So if you see a Battleship Texas BB-35 Dog Tag out there somewhere, just think of us....LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Basically, I'm a "Took Nothing Left Sig Item" kinda guy. I usually don't find anything interesting that catches my eye in a cache. But I always leave my calling card and sig item no matter what. The sig item is a Dairy Queen coin (locally known as Scoobie Snacks) which is good for a free cone or Dilly Bar. I feel that the DQ Coin makes a great trade for several reasons: It's the perfect size for almost any cache, it is a reflection of myself as the owner of a DQ,it works for kids as well as adults and most of all, 90% of the time it is a "fair" trade. If there is something in the cache that I would like to have, I snatch it but that's rarly the case. If the DQ coin is not a fair trade for the item I want then I reach into my handy-dandy cache pack <insert Markwelled link to "what kind of pack do you use for caching?" thread here> and pull out something I feel makes the trade fair.

I think that is the biggest point of this McToy issue.....make the trade fair. Either make an equal trade or leave something of more value. I'm also one to believe that this should be an issue explained clearly to new cachers via the GC.com website.

Next, I think that cache owners need to police their caches frequently and remove crap. I was at a cache recently that had a used phone jack for a wall in it. Ok, maybe the cacher was a phone guy or something and this is his sig item but I doubt it.....I've seen stranger things....but it was all beat up, scratched and wires hanging out of it...nothing more than junk IMO. My point is that owners need to be responsible for maintaining their caches so it will always be a pleasent find for the next cacher. I like the idea of theme caches because you can really make the rules of that cache clear, I've had success with this in the past. I made the Scoobie's Calling Card Cache for people to come and leave their sig item and calling card and then take my DQ Coin and Calling Card. The rules are very clear about what you can take and what you can leave. Even though I let anyone log the visit who finds it, if they don't have some sort of sig item then they are to TNLN and sign the log. This way they get to log the find even if they don't have a sig item and the cache remains free of junk. Owners need to keep the items such as McToys (alctually, DQ toys are much cooler anyway icon_wink.gif ) and other lame stuff out of their caches. Why not just post that on the cache site....."No lame stuff please"? Hmmm....I'll have to think on that one some more.

Scoobie

Livin' & Dyin' in 3/4 Time