GPS Accuracy

One thing I noticed on TV watching some of the recovery efforts of the Columbia debris was that there were several people utilizing full-harness GPS receivers.

I can believe that these GPSr's are well into the $10,000 range, but is their accuracy that much better than the handhelds, especially those with WAAS?

On another note, are there any cachers volunteering in the mapping of debris?

VF

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

The ones I saw on TV were Trimble Pro-XRS models. Yes, they are more accurate. They can real time differentially correct and WAAS is not usable in all parts of the country, particularly in mountainous or heavily forested terrain (I would think SE TX has good WAAS signals, but I could be mistaken).

The size of the unit is also additional memory (store thousands of points, tracks, and features, not just a few hundred), store and display aerial photos and imagery, and a larger battery with a backup. The mushroom antennae is superior to the little built-in antennaes in the handheld units.

The software has more features. You can configure the receiver to ignore a single satellite signal that drops below thresholds you set while processing the remaining signals (i.e. receiving six satellites but two are marginal. It will use only the best four or five).

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

The software has more features. You can configure the receiver to ignore a single satellite signal that drops below thresholds you set while processing the remaining signals (i.e. receiving six satellites but two are marginal. It will use only the best four or five).

At the risk of digressing, my understanding was that consumer-grade GPSr's automatically used the four best signals. Is this not true?

~ Boyd

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso:

At the risk of digressing, my understanding was that consumer-grade GPSr's automatically used the four best signals. Is this not true?

No, not neccesarily as there's a few other variables to consider.

To the original question, with respect the accuracy, generally the more $$'s the more "accuracy" capable (with integrity) the "user system" (several user system options) might be.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif