OT: power outages

cachew nut

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Outages? I must have missed them. Where?

Northeast . . . NYC (subways are not running, stop lights, etc.), Ontario, etc. I heard nothing about Philly. South Jersey seems fine.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Turn on ABC . . . you'll see thousands who do.

Actually millions. NYC is dead out and I hear places as far away as Cleveland are effected.

My power went out for about 2 minutes. It was kind of strange. Heard a loud noise, then nothing...seconds later it came back on, sort of, but the lights were extremely dim and the radio was only static. About 2 minutes later, all was normal.

Then I went to the supermarket (about 2 miles away) and they were dead out, as were MOST, but not all, of the stoplights on the highway. But as I got closer to home, I noticed people had power.

So it seems to be a patchwork thing. NYC must be hell now. I'd hate to be one of those people stuck underground!

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 14, 2003 at 07:27 PM.]

Power was down here for about 5 minutes. Watching the News, glad I'm not in New York or commuting. Be Safe & be Careful.

Take Care,

Mike

''Oh Jersey, we salute thee. Oh Jersey, sovereign state. Oh Jersey, magnificent empire; magnificent home of the natural slob. Oh Jersey.'' Jean Shepherd

quote:
I'd hate to be one of those people stuck underground!

Yeah,I don't think I would take that very well at all. It would also be a bad time to be in an elevator.

Assuming the power is still out, I'm curious to see if I get the local NYC news on my satellite dish when I get home. I suppose the stations have backup generators, but their audience tonight could just be people like me who get them via satellite in places like Nebraska!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Assuming the power is still out, I'm curious to see if I get the local NYC news on my satellite dish when I get home. I suppose the stations have backup generators, but their audience tonight could just be people like me who get them via satellite in places like Nebraska!

Most of the major media outlets have their own generators. The majority of NYC and TV stations are still broadcasting.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Power is out for most of southern Ontario as well.

Ottawa, Detroit, Cleveland, NYC and all areas that complete that oval.

These images are unbelievable! Prisons are running on back-up generators. Airports are closed other than planes which need to land.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Not in this humid heat!

Yeah, but you never know. People who manage to get home will be in the dark and bored!

I will say that the local NYC news had some good picks of all the people. Problem is, they are still replaying the news all night long, which of course is annoying for people like me in Nebraska who get the networks from NY. Totally understandable though. In fact I would think they were nuts if they didn't. Guess I'll have to hook up the antenna if I want to watch a network show!

I hope all the cachers got home OK! Edit: I hope all goes well for everyone!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

My power went out for about 2 minutes. It was kind of strange. Heard a loud noise, then nothing...seconds later it came back on, sort of, but the lights were extremely dim and the radio was only static. About 2 minutes later, all was normal.

Same thing happened here in Saginaw, MI. The whole city blacked out for a minute or two, then when it came back on, everything was dim, like there wasn't enough juice. Then after a minute or so every thing came back up to full power. Happened about 4:15pm

Windrose

"A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

For future reference:

When you find yourself in a blackout, the first thing that happens when power comes on is known as a brownout... the lack of appropriate voltage. While in blackout conditions, you are well advised to switch off or unplug your electronics. The lack of proper voltage will cause serious damage if prolonged, and if not prolonged will at the minimum, shorten the life of your electronics.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

People who manage to get home will be in the dark and bored!

There's lots of stuff that you can do in the dark. Just use your imagination. icon_wink.gif

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

25 hours for me.

Power went off at work at 16:15 after i HAD JUST MISSED THE ELEVATOR GOING HOME! Had I made the elevator, I would still be there now.

Was glad to get home though, Scrounged up a radio and it kept us company for the rest of the night. Good thing it was summer becuase I could take little girl to the park until it was her bed time.

Thanks to my geo pack, we had asprin, flashlights for everyone and a first aid kit. It was kinda fun for the night.

Of course, the next day the novelty of the crisis wears pretty thin...Wife finally snapped about 14:00 this afternoon but I told her to take a nap and lettle girl and I went to the beach to collect rocks. by 17:15 tonight we were back on the grid.

Ohhhhhh exciting stuff eh?

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

I wonder if those in Erie lost their Power??? Here IN PA, we can choice who we want to get our power from..so we have a fairly good Powergrid...so I'm betting they didn't....

What sort of bothers me...is that the Nuclear Powerplants SHUTDOWN!!! a time when they should of increased output, they shutdown!

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

I wish to state for the record that here in British Columbia, BC Hydro had nothing to do with the unfortunate blackout in eastern Canada and the United States.

As I am a loyal British Columbian, I would ask you to please blame all those Eastern Canadians instead, especially in Ontario. icon_wink.gif

As far as the nuclear plants go, geo_Packrat, I believe they must go into a "Safe" mode, when the grid is not up. There has to be somewhere for the elctricity to go if generated, and if the grid is shut down, so must generation be. It is my understanding that the plants ( At least our Candu reactors, anyway) can be brought up within 12 hours, if necessary.

globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?