Funeral Event Cache

mrcpu

I recently joked around with Servman about one of us not making it up this huge hill while caching and what we would do for the funeral. We joked that it would be cool to post an Event Cache for the funeral.

All joking aside, if someone was a serious Geocacher and known member of the community, would it be cool to post the funeral details as an event log? People could come and leave cachefodder in a cache at the wake which would be buried with the Cacher. In addition the online Event could be a "book of rememberance" where people could sign a note for condolence.

Obviously, this would only be cool if the spouse/next of kin, were OK with it.

What do you's think?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

If I'm the corpse, I hope someone would do this for me. Seriously.

I wouldn't care... I'm dead. But if it would bring both closure and a smile to the face of someone I knew, hey, bonus. icon_biggrin.gif

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

If I'm the corpse, I hope someone would do this for me. Seriously.

I wouldn't care... I'm dead. But if it would bring both closure and a smile to the face of someone I knew, hey, bonus. icon_biggrin.gif

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

This is an outstanding idea. I can just see my wife now though. "Dorkin out when he was alive and still dorkin out now.."

"He was a nice guy even though he did use a Garmin. Man does the satelite reception suck in this church, how's that quad-helix work in here? Should we get a window seat?"

So do you take your GPS with you or donate it to the next person who finds the first cache you hid?

Hey guys... If we need a GPS to tell us which way is heaven and which way is hell, maybe we should spend this Sunday in church instead of out in the middle of some marsh/field/desert looking for a tupperware container filled with neat stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

All joking aside, I actually think the cache idea at the funeral is a neat one. I would have never thought of it, but like others said, if my friends and family wanted to, more power to it! icon_smile.gif

Just another bit of trivia I read a week ago or so. The most popular song played at funerals now is "Wind beneath my Wings" by Bette Midler. The number 3 song played is "Another one bites the dust" by Queen. Really! icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey guys... If we need a GPS to tell us which way is heaven and which way is hell, maybe we should spend this Sunday in church instead of out in the middle of some marsh/field/desert looking for a tupperware container filled with neat stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

All joking aside, I actually think the cache idea at the funeral is a neat one. I would have never thought of it, but like others said, if my friends and family wanted to, more power to it! icon_smile.gif

Just another bit of trivia I read a week ago or so. The most popular song played at funerals now is "Wind beneath my Wings" by Bette Midler. The number 3 song played is "Another one bites the dust" by Queen. Really! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like a cool Idea. Why not celebrate what we liked before we cached out to the Big Cache!!

Actually my wife and I have something like this all planned out. When that time comes we are going to have our ashes put in a stainless steel container then put into a fake garden rock. And our kids allready have the coordinates as to where we wish to lie. And we will be placed in a remote area in our local mountains!! icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

Sounds like a cool Idea. Why not celebrate what we liked before we cached out to the Big Cache!!

Actually my wife and I have something like this all planned out. When that time comes we are going to have our ashes put in a stainless steel container then put into a fake garden rock. And our kids allready have the coordinates as to where we wish to lie. And we will be placed in a remote area in our local mountains!! icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

Personally, I'd like to see more celebration at funerals and less seriousness. But you do rock the boat a bit when you challenge peoples' expectations.

My wife (who has given more thought to the matter than I) wants at her funeral to raffle off her art works (benefits to charity). She also plans to distribute T-shirts that say "I went to Nan's funeral and all I got was this crummy t-shirt!"

icon_biggrin.gif

OK, technically she wants *me* or somebody else to do those things, as she has other commitments at the time.

max

Just visiting this planet

Personally, I'd like to see more celebration at funerals and less seriousness. But you do rock the boat a bit when you challenge peoples' expectations.

My wife (who has given more thought to the matter than I) wants at her funeral to raffle off her art works (benefits to charity). She also plans to distribute T-shirts that say "I went to Nan's funeral and all I got was this crummy t-shirt!"

icon_biggrin.gif

OK, technically she wants *me* or somebody else to do those things, as she has other commitments at the time.

max

Great idea! Being a cyclist, I have thought, and told a few friends, that when I die, I would like a bicycle ride planned along one of my favorite cycling routes and to have my ashes scattered along the way. Now that I am a geocacher too, I like the idea of adding geocaching too.

I like the way you guys (and gals) think! This would be (pardon my owl pun) a hoot! I think I'm gonna tell Mrs. Owl about this tonight. And the T-shirt idea appeals to my warped sense of humor, too!

"When the chips are down, the buffalo ate birds."

A friend of mine once remarked, quite remarkably, that--when I asked him mock-seriously what our bodies were when they were no longer animate--"they're meat!" LOL

All I could do was laugh. Let's face it, folks...the human body is a bunch of chemicals when there's no animate interior wit'in da cranium/nerve network, et al.

For those metaphysics buffs out there, that's when the etheric body detaches from the gross physical body, followed shortly thereafter by the causal, mental, and other bodies, not necessarily in that order. icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

When I kick the bucket, I hope to be able to materilize in front of the entire crowd with a Garmin GPS-V (with eternal memory *and* free maps of the universe, of course!) and say...Yup! Thought I'd find you all here! icon_smile.gif

A little telekinetics and a light show later, we'd chat into the night, and I'd "take off" on an early morning sunbeam to the Great Beyond, knowing I'd spent the best "pre-thereafter" time with my geocaching family and friends! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Cache On'

Fishe

196939_600.gif

A friend of mine once remarked, quite remarkably, that--when I asked him mock-seriously what our bodies were when they were no longer animate--"they're meat!" LOL

All I could do was laugh. Let's face it, folks...the human body is a bunch of chemicals when there's no animate interior wit'in da cranium/nerve network, et al.

For those metaphysics buffs out there, that's when the etheric body detaches from the gross physical body, followed shortly thereafter by the causal, mental, and other bodies, not necessarily in that order. icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

When I kick the bucket, I hope to be able to materilize in front of the entire crowd with a Garmin GPS-V (with eternal memory *and* free maps of the universe, of course!) and say...Yup! Thought I'd find you all here! icon_smile.gif

A little telekinetics and a light show later, we'd chat into the night, and I'd "take off" on an early morning sunbeam to the Great Beyond, knowing I'd spent the best "pre-thereafter" time with my geocaching family and friends! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Cache On'

Fishe

196939_600.gif

When I pass away a lot of people in the on-line communities that I hang out at and people I know only thru the Internet will never hear about it. My wife knows I geocache but she doesn't ever visit the geocaching forums or other places where I have an on-line presence. I sure she wouldn't have any idea of who to contact.

This bugs me a bit. I don't want to be rude and not return emails after I'm dead but I also wouldn't want to send out an email or post a note beforehand saying "Oh by the way, the doctors tell me I don't have long to live..."

Would you want to know if an online friend was close to death? I'd feel like I was bumming people out so I wouldn't want to advertise the fact.

--- yrium ---

P.S. I'm not planning on dying anytime soon.

You guys are giving me a great idea for a signature item...mini-urns of my ashes. icon_wink.gif Of course I'd need somebody else to leave them for me. So would the signature item be mine or theirs?

Maybe I could get a limited edition travel bug with bits of my ashes embedded...?

Hope this humor isn't too macabre. I appreciate it whenever we get a chance to talk about death a little. It seems the be the biggest area of denial in our culture. I don't want to hasten the day, but I want to be as fully aware of what's happening when it comes. Talking and joking about it in the meantime helps to lessen the anxiety.

But back to my ashes...when life, usable organs, anything researchable is gone, it's about as useful as a junked car. When I cash in my chips, trash me out.

max

You guys are giving me a great idea for a signature item...mini-urns of my ashes. icon_wink.gif Of course I'd need somebody else to leave them for me. So would the signature item be mine or theirs?

Maybe I could get a limited edition travel bug with bits of my ashes embedded...?

Hope this humor isn't too macabre. I appreciate it whenever we get a chance to talk about death a little. It seems the be the biggest area of denial in our culture. I don't want to hasten the day, but I want to be as fully aware of what's happening when it comes. Talking and joking about it in the meantime helps to lessen the anxiety.

But back to my ashes...when life, usable organs, anything researchable is gone, it's about as useful as a junked car. When I cash in my chips, trash me out.

max

From the sounds of it, most people here seem to agree that once you are dead, your body isn't of much value to you anymore, so that leads me to the question;

Are you an organ donar?

Personally, I am and have been since I can remember. (I also try to get to be blood donar clinic when I can). I understand why someone might choose not to, and I respect their opinion but I also think that it shows a definate over valuing of their corps! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

From the sounds of it, most people here seem to agree that once you are dead, your body isn't of much value to you anymore, so that leads me to the question;

Are you an organ donar?

Personally, I am and have been since I can remember. (I also try to get to be blood donar clinic when I can). I understand why someone might choose not to, and I respect their opinion but I also think that it shows a definate over valuing of their corps! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

If you are a organ donor make sure your family knows your wishs. In Colorado even if you have signed the card it is your family who makes the final decision. They have the legal right to say yes or no. It never hurts to talk about this with those you love. Let them know your wishs.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

If you are a organ donor make sure your family knows your wishs. In Colorado even if you have signed the card it is your family who makes the final decision. They have the legal right to say yes or no. It never hurts to talk about this with those you love. Let them know your wishs.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Are you an organ donar?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

In keeping with the spirit of this topic, could your donated organs be used as travel bugs? Imagine a funky-smelling geocacher walking up to sombody on the street and saying, "Tag! Your It!". Or something like that ... icon_wink.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:

Are you an organ donar?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

In keeping with the spirit of this topic, could your donated organs be used as travel bugs? Imagine a funky-smelling geocacher walking up to sombody on the street and saying, "Tag! Your It!". Or something like that ... icon_wink.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:

Are you an organ donar?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

--

Organ Donor? Why yes, I am! icon_smile.gif Just gave away a lovely old hammond console to a local charity group who plans on donating it to a church. icon_razz.gif

Alowerying for the time it takes to pack it up in a truck and move it, I think that the charity group should have it B-3--I mean before--this coming Wednesday.

As I recall, the person from the church who is receiving the organ is a Mrs. Wurlitzer-Keyes, who is on the church's Board of Appropriation.

I had the pleasure of meeting with Mrs. Wurlitzer-Keyes at the charity group's office. It was an most harmonious meeting.

Well, I must go. All this organ droning is making me feel as tight as piano wire; and I'm already wired as it is.

Warm regards,

Firefishe icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_razz.gif

196939_600.gif

quote:

Are you an organ donar?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

--

Organ Donor? Why yes, I am! icon_smile.gif Just gave away a lovely old hammond console to a local charity group who plans on donating it to a church. icon_razz.gif

Alowerying for the time it takes to pack it up in a truck and move it, I think that the charity group should have it B-3--I mean before--this coming Wednesday.

As I recall, the person from the church who is receiving the organ is a Mrs. Wurlitzer-Keyes, who is on the church's Board of Appropriation.

I had the pleasure of meeting with Mrs. Wurlitzer-Keyes at the charity group's office. It was an most harmonious meeting.

Well, I must go. All this organ droning is making me feel as tight as piano wire; and I'm already wired as it is.

Warm regards,

Firefishe icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_razz.gif

196939_600.gif