Appropriate begging letter?

soup

I would like to send a letter to a local organization about my wishes to place a geocache on the property they manage. I had one placed there before, but I removed it to redesign this hunt a little. I would like their blessing to use the land, and to use some information they possess.

Are there any good/great examples of document's people have used to get approval for cache placement?

I know this has been covered in another topic, but they are difficult to find with my super fast 56k, dumpy computer combo. icon_wink.gif -C

There are better letters out there than what I have composed so I'll just offer a little advice. Don't start off with the attitude that you are begging. Think of it more as an introduction and explain the game with enthusiasm. Try to address their concerns before they have a chance to voice them by your knowledge of the issues and show them your environmental concern.

I think the biggest thing the parks need to know is that there is open communication, and if there is ever a problem they know who to contact to address it. As a little incentive I leave you with the closing statements of the last park official that gave me permission "Thank you for your responsiveness to our concerns. I must say that all in all I am very impressed with your (and presumably other geocachers) level of organization and responsibility. Thanks again for your interest in our parks and preserves." Good Luck to you... and don't sweat it!

Ttepe

Here's mine:

------Start------

To whom it may concern: (change to director’s name if known)

My purpose in this letter is two-fold. First, I would like to introduce you to a new and exciting land use activity. Next, I seek the approval of the (city name) (department name) to use (city name) parks for this purpose.

The activity I mentioned is called Geocaching. This is a relatively new activity that some have described as “high-tech hide and seek”. The object is simple; an individual hides a container, (called a cache) for other participants to find. The “hider” places the latitude and longitude coordinates of the cache on the Internet, and the “seekers” use maps, and / or handheld Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers to find the cache. It is customary to sign the logbook if provided, and if desired, to exchange a trinket for one in the cache.

Note that virtually all caches are camouflaged or otherwise hidden from public view. Because of this, other park users generally have no idea that geocaches are present. This benefits both the participants, (called “geocachers”) in that it lessens the possibility of caches being vandalized or stolen by uninterested parties, but it also keeps the area around the cache looking natural. The last thing geocachers want is to have a cache that might be interpreted as trash. Geocachers are generally good stewards of the land. For example, many participate in an activity we call “cache in, trash out”, the purpose of which is to pickup any trash found on the trails in and around the cache site.

As caches are discovered, cache seekers typically log their find on the Internet. This allows the cache hider to be notified that someone has found their cache and allows them to monitor the condition of their caches and the surrounding area. For reference, some caches receive as many as 2-3 visitors a week while some may only receive one a month. Obviously, the more frequently a cache is visited, the more closely it must be monitored.

Geocaching is a great family activity and for many, it is an excellent excuse to hike and explore a park one may never have visited before. Geocachers as a whole have a keen appreciation for our public lands. They understand and appreciate the work involved to provide such public places and sincerely want to work with land use agencies to insure these same areas continue to be available for future generations. They understand that without agencies such as yours and the public land in your care, they would be unable to participate in this wonderful activity.

On this note, I seek your permission on behalf of the local geocaching community to place geocaches within (city name) city parks. We will be happy to work with whatever guidelines you feel are needed to insure caches are appropriately placed.

Sincerely,

Name

Address

Phone

------End------

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

RedwoodRed composed a fantastic letter a few months back and posted it on the old forums. I did a search recently to locate it, but I couldn't. I emailed Red to see if she still had it on file, but she couldn't locate it either.

If someone has a copy of her letter, I think it would fit here well.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Think of it more as an introduction and explain the game with enthusiasm.

Ttepe

No worries Ttepe, as I was just trying to write a topic that people would respond to. Everyone responds to begging. icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, all great suggestions made by all. Hopefully RedwoodRed will find her letter. I will begin composing the letter soon and I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks! Chris.

Soup--

I posted a response to such a message on the old forums but it's one that got trashed in the import. I went and found it in the old forums and copied the text below. If you want to review that topic search the general forum with the word Naturalist in the topic. Maybe there's something in it you will find useful. I think it will be clear that I modified Brokenwing's letter to fit my purposes, but since I was seeking approval for a specific cache there is a lot more material. I've successfully gotten permission for caches from 2 different rangers at 2 different Army Corps of Engineers projects now using this letter and type of documents.

By the way, I used to know someone online about 10 years ago nicknamed Soup. His last name was Campbell!

Begin quote of old forum message:

Okay, I've been promising this for a while now. I submitted this on December 27, 2001, and had a positive response by January 2, 2002. A printed and signed permit was in my hands by January 4. The resulting cache is "Pick It Up, Pack it Out, Cache in, Trash Out Cache" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12549 I have genericized this somewhat to keep from giving away the cache and plug in whichever ranger and park names I need. All the items below were sent as attached documents in an introductory e-mail that explained who I was (30 year resident of this county and city of current residency) and how I came to have his contact info. The first section is the cover letter. The visit numbers I offered were based on other caches I thought somewhat similarly located and rated within my 100 mile radius. Next section is the detailed description of the cache and its location for the benefit of the ranger. It is editted so as not to give my cache away. Notice that I also provided a sample cache note, a map of the cache site(s) in relation to the roads and trailheads in the area, pictures of the cache containers before they were hidden, pictures of the spots in which they would be hidden and pictures of the hidden cache(s). Did I go overboard? Likely. I just felt it better to be clear that I had nothing to hide rather than make it easier to say no simply because I didn't give enough info. If I had failed, though, I would have wondered if it was that I went too far and threw too much info at him. I am about to seek permission for an existing cache which I adopted when the owner became unavailable and the cache became unfindable due to physical clues gone missing. To anyone's knowledge he didn't have permission for the placement. I have repaired it and am going to try to get permission for it now. It is at a different ACE lake in my area under a different ranger. Once I get around to that and see what kind of reception I get I'll post an update. Hope this will be useful to others seeking to establish a relationship with land management authorities in their areas.

T-storm

Army Corps of Engineers

Dear :

I was referred to you by . My purpose in this letter is two-fold. First, I would like to introduce you to an exciting land use activity. Next I seek the approval of the Army Corps of Engineers for a specific use of the park for this purpose.

The activity I mentioned is called Geocaching. This is a relatively new activity that some have described as “high-tech hide and seek”. The object is simple; an individual hides a container for other participants to find. The “hider” places the latitude and longitude coordinates of the cache on the Internet, and the “seekers” use maps and handheld Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers to find the cache. It is customary for seekers to sign the logbook, if provided, and, if desired, to exchange a trinket for one in the cache.

Note that virtually all caches are camouflaged or otherwise hidden from public view. Because of this, other park users generally have no idea that the geocaches are there. This benefits both the participants, (often called “geocachers”) in that it lessens the possibility of caches being vandalized or stolen by uninterested parties, but it also keeps the area around the cache looking natural. The last thing geocachers want is to have a cache that might be interpreted as trash. Generally, geocachers are good stewards of the land. For example, many participate in an activity we call “cache in, trash out”, the purpose of which is to pickup and dispose of trash found on the trails in and around the cache site.

As caches are discovered, cache seekers typically log their find on the Internet. This allows cache hiders to be notified that someone has found their cache and allows them to monitor the condition of their caches and the surrounding area. The point is to insure both are in appropriate condition for the continued enjoyment of future geocachers. For reference, some caches receive as many as 2-3 visitors a week while some may only receive 1 a month. I would expect the proposed cache to get 1-4 visits per month after the first couple of months based on comparisons to caches with similar characteristics. Obviously, the more frequently a cache is visited, the more closely it must be monitored to insure there are no detrimental affects to the cache, or the surrounding park.

Geocaching is a great family activity and for many, it is an excellent excuse to hike and explore a park where one has never been before. One of the most striking things I have noticed about geocachers is the (sometimes newfound) appreciation most all geocachers have for our public lands. As a whole, they understand and appreciate the work involved to provide such public places and sincerely want to work with land use agencies to insure such places continue to be available for future generations. They understand that without the cooperation of agencies such as yours and the public land in your care, they would be unable to participate in this wonderful activity.

On this note, I seek your permission to place a geocache within park. I wish to work with you to insure the cache is placed in areas that are deemed appropriate for this type of activity. To that end, I will describe for you the concept for the cache and the placement of its containers in the attached supporting pictures and documents. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Cache Description for ,

At this time the proposed cache has no nickname. It is what is called a "multi-cache", having two (or more) stages that must be found. The first stage is to include a set of coordinates that will lead to the final cache and trash bags to encourage litter collection. The second stage will contain the logbook and "goodies." The file map.gif is a crude map of the placement generated by MapBlast. It shows approximate locations of the trailhead, first stage, and second (final) stage as the map services are often somewhat inaccurate at marking coordinates on a map. Trails are not marked.

The first stage has not yet been placed. I won't actually put it out until I receive permission for the cache. It is a new Rubbermaid food storage container, 6.25" square and 3.25" deep, as shown in attachment First_Stage.jpg. It is filled with several trash bags, a cache note (see attachment Cachenote.doc), and is to include a laminated note with instructions to take a trash sack to help clean up along the way to the cache and the final cache coordinates. I plan to place this box (see attachment cache_camo.jpg) that is about ## feet to one side of the trail near the trailhead (guessing under 1000 feet). The coordinates for this location (in WGS-84 datum) are 33 02.676N -097 11.107W.

For the final stage I have placed a cache box within the park which will not be listed for hunting unless approved. If I cannot obtain approval I will remove the box. The attachment Cache_Box.jpg is a picture of the box before it was hidden. It is a 50 caliber army surplus ammo box in its original green with a weather-resistant label identifying it as a Geocaching game piece. The cache contents are a PC game and a piece of software on CDs, a trial-size nail polish, a new polo-style shirt, a new, empty small makeup bag, 3 cloisonne style ferret lapel pins (our signature piece), a single application sunblock packet, several packets of flower seeds, and a few other toys and trinkets, plus a cache note and a logbook with a mechanical pencil. The picture Cache_Site.jpg is of the general site of the final cache and the picture Hidden_Cache1.jpg is a shot of the cache in its hiding place. Look carefully! The coordinates for this spot are 33 02.###N -097 11.###W. The approach follows a little ridge overlooking a (currently and long dry) inlet fairly filled with trash. If you shut out the trash, the views are lovely. My hope is that seekers will follow the "cache in, trash out" philosophy espoused on the Geocaching.com website and remove some of the litter distractions. They will be asked to pose with their trash "take" and to post the pictures with their online log.

The cache is NOT listed on any site at this time. You can see examples of cache listings at www.geocaching.com via the "Hide/Seek" button on the left. As it happens, the site's owner has used a picture of my daughter for the image that replaces the Geocaching logo when you move the mouse to that button! I would appreciate corrections and/or additions to the information I intend to provide to cachers about the park. My understanding is that:

1. There are equestrian trails, but some trails are bikes/hikers only trail. Bikes are allowed from the aforementioned trailhead but may not be allowed on all trails so riders should observe the trail markers.

2. Firearms and hunting are prohibited, but for your safety be aware that some folks ignore this (spent shells seen in the park).

3. Pets are allowed, on leash.

4. There are no facilities. Bring your water and be prepared to take trash out of the park with you for disposal.

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

I went and found it in the old forums and copied the text below. By the way, I used to know someone online about 10 years ago nicknamed Soup. His last name was Campbell!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, T-storm (and everyone). This is perfect and I will get to re-writing ASAP. And.. I am called "soup" because it is a shortened form of "superman". My name happens to be the same as the actor who plays him.

icon_wink.gif