Hike, Bike, Canoe?

Barefoot

I'm not the guy to shoot down ideas, but something like this would be a fairly big project to code, and would probably end up slowing down the servers signifigantly. Not that it's a great idea, icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif IMHO (which might not mean much) this is alot to ask for...

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

Well you can expect most are going to be a hike. Some of those that are hikes, might be biked. But on the paddling one, I would suggest doing a search for hydrocaches and see what you come up with. One could always start a list of their own of the bike and paddle caches. I know someone was doing a list of hydrocaches.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot:

How about a way to quick sort a cache by access type?

With the existing system, we could standardize a naming convention allowing for this..

Many micros have the word 'micro' in the name, and many multis have 'multi' in the name. You can search for 'micro'.

If we included 'boat', 'paddle' or something similar it could be searched for--but now that I think about it, it might sort alphabetically rather than locally.

Oh well, 'twas a thought. At the very least it becomes apparent on your local listing. ''Baldwin Ride'' and ''Fat Bottom Girls'' are obviously both bike-accessible caches, ''Riley's Run'' is too but not as apparent.

I encourage names that make sense,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by K-9CacheSeekers:

I'm not the guy to shoot down ideas, but something like this would be a fairly big project to code, and would probably end up slowing down the servers signifigantly. Not that it's a great idea, icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif IMHO (which might not mean much) this is alot to ask for...

----

Its another field in the database... with another couple of queries to look up the varying types.. it isn't exactly brutal hehe icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rjo:

Its another field in the database... with another couple of queries to look up the varying types.. it isn't exactly brutal hehe icon_smile.gif

It's not quite that simple, most cache can be reached by multi access. For example my caches are in places that can be hikes, mountain bikes, or on horseback. So you would probably need to select multiple item from a list to show the alternatives. You could require new caches to specify how the cache can be accessed, but for existing caches you would need to rely on cache owners going back and adding this data to their cache pages. Finally, once some asked for this the next think they will want is to filter by difficulty/distance of a hike/bike/etc. The best solution is the one we have now - read the cache page and the logs and look on a map to find out how to get to cache

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

quote:
Originally posted by tozainamboku:

The best solution is the one we have now - read the cache page and the logs and look on a map to find out how to get to cache

That's not always a feasible(sp?) way....One because it may look like you could access with certain things, but in reality you can't. A map will not tail you what kind of rocks are on the trail, if it's washed out, or if there are downed trees. Also while on a map it may look accessable by water, it may not be either (cliff..etc)..

Not everyone will post those things on their online logs and if no one else had found it, then there are no logs.

One of the first caches we went to ended up being an area that once you got there, it said no bikes, motorcycles or animals allowed. The page didn't state any of that info. I know a lot of people take their pooches with them and many mountain bike to caches. The trail wasa dirt road in the woods. I could of driven a semi down it, but it was posted there that you can't take those things down there. Also a lot of people stay away from the topo maps. I think a simple set of checkboxes on the submission form would be nice. I know that others have posted the link to I think it was Texas Geocachers page where they have the little icons they use to put on the pages...those are cool and very useful. Would be a nice addition to the cache pages.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I know the other day someone posted something in the hunt forums about caches that have been a real pain in the *** to get to. And there's the adventures of GeoNap trying to get to an interesting one placed by Oregone (sp?) anyway. The thing about this cache was that you had to cross a chanell to get to it, and some times you could get to it without getting your feet wet, other times you could walk on stones, yet other times, you'd need hip or chest waders, and still other times you'd need to take a full out swim or bring a boat. Like I said earlier, to make this idea work it would take quite a bit of coding, and millions of caches worldwide would have to be updated to allow this info.

My solution to this, if the terrain if a 4 or a 5 you're probably not gunna find it without getting your feet wet, or without trashing your bike.

----

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

That's not always a feasible(sp?) way....One because it may look like you could access with certain things, but in reality you can't. A map will not tail you what kind of rocks are on the trail, if it's washed out, or if there are downed trees. Also while on a map it may look accessable by water, it may not be either (cliff..etc)..

That is what topo maps are for. Part of caching is navigating your way there. WHen I go on a long hunt, my friends and I usually plan the trip over a pizza before embarking on the hike. That way we know where to expect a significant cliff or a creek, and which way we plan on taking to the cache, followed by backup plan.

quote:
Also a lot of people stay away from the topo maps.

Depends on what kind of cache you are hunting. For some caches, if you don't read the topo maps you deserve to screw yourself. If you live in a very mountainous area with lots of state forests and game lands a topo map is your best friend.

quote:
I think a simple set of checkboxes on the submission form would be nice. I know that others have posted the link to I think it was Texas Geocachers page where they have the little icons they use to put on the pages...those are cool and very useful. Would be a nice addition to the cache pages.

Just my opinion, but i disagree. Like i said, i think reading your maps is part of the navigation. Its supposed to be fun and challenging. If the cache page tells you every little detail, what fun is there in that? Nothing to magically discover on your way to the cache.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

In these 'Want it now,hate to wait, gimme, gimme, gimme' times we live, a mental re-adjustmet is required from time to time. icon_eek.gif

Please, consider the past month just such a time for me.

I am now spending almost as much time researching a cache on the net as looking for it in the field. Highway travel maps, topographical maps for bushwacking, and history of the area..... I think I am learning more this way. icon_smile.gif

Thanks to everyone who considered my question worth the time it took to reply. icon_biggrin.gif

Barefoot