State Park Caching

flat_lander

Illinois has a draft policy for cache hiding on state park land -- mainly registration with local managers, personal responsibility for the cache, and requirement for transparent containers. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Probably depends on individual managers' opinions. I plan to try it out later this year.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

We just had a geocaching meeting/event in Austin this week, and three people from the Travis County Parks system were there to speak to us. They are very receptive, and excited about geocaching in their parks, but ask us to follow some common sense rules, and to contact the land manager for placement permission (and even help). It has taken a while to get to this place, but with communication with the department by several key people, it has been successful. The state park system in Texas also seems receptive, but wants to be in on the placement part, also. One of their concerns is keeping caches (and geocachers) away from potentially sensitive locations, and also keeping the geocachers safe.

Yes, I checked with the state park service before placing my first cache. The local park is 37 square miles, and they welcomed me with open arms. It has worked out so well that there are now 9 caches on park property, and I am now a state parks volunteer. I actually get credit for maintaining my caches, and the company I work for also likes for employees to volunteer in the community for some cause, and keeps track of volunteer hours towards a bonus at the end of a year. Life is good!!!

E-mail me direct for more details.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by flat_lander:

I was just curious what people's experiences have been with placing caches on state park land. Do most of you check with park authorities before placing your cache? If so, are most parks receptive or not?

I requested permission from two state areas at about the same time. Both responded in a positve manner. I put the park thats farther away on the back burner, and started working on the closer of the two. After meeting the park manager, making multiple trips to the park, and filling out some paperwork. I got turned down because the district supervisor (manager's boss)wouldn't sign off. Currently, I could place a geocache in there if I am on site during the whole time (to make sure nothing dangerous isnt placed in the cache, and that no non-cachers stumble across the cache icon_rolleyes.gif) and provide insurance icon_eek.gif. The State DNR has no formal geocaching policy but says it will be setting something up in the 'near future'. Hopefully they will set up well thought out rules.

quote:
How may of you have placed caches anyway after being shot down by the park?

Nope. If Im going to place a cache even if they say no, why bother to try for permission icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

[This message was edited by welch on February 15, 2003 at 08:07 AM.]

I asked for permission to place a multicache at one of our Texas State Parks last year. Talked to the Park Superintendent and she really got excited when i told her about GeoCaching. Have read some of the posts here and see that many perceive our hobby as being very detrimental to the great outdoors icon_confused.gif. It was sure nice to see her support for our hobby and to grant us permission to place the cache. icon_biggrin.gif

If you don't ask permission, particularly in State Parks, you run the risk of geocaching being banned entirely from the whole state park system. Just ask anyone with the Minnesota Geocaching Association. If ONE ranger reports a bad experience to the bureaucrats, they'll rush a policy through that bans geocaching.

If you do ask permission, and the rangers are aware of the cache and participate in the activity, you will likely gain support that will help you establish a good policy for geocaching in the parks. The more they are aware of the activity and experience geocaching themselves, the easier it will be for other parks to accept the activity, too. Ask the Ozark Mountain Geocachers who met with Arkansas State Parks authorities in January. They were able to encourage supportive rangers to appear at a hearing with geocachers and present the positive side of geocaching. Together, they worked out a responsible geocaching policy for the park system and one that doesn't overly consume park resources. In addition, they were able to establish a reasonable permit process that limits the number of caches that can be hidden in a single park as well as clearly identifies the cache as "approved".

I'll try to get a copy of the final policy for Arkansas State Parks and post it.

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg