What is your favorite multi-use tool and/or knife.... keep it clean

Bennu

You guys were all so great recommending and commenting on flashlights! Thanks! Now tell me about the best tool to have along, whether a multi-use tool, or knife... I have been pricing them, and think some advice is in order. Thanks in advance, for sharing, you are saving me so much shopping around time... and the frustration of buying a no good piece of junk.

Not all who wander are lost

I carry two, a Columbia River Knife that can be opened with one hand and a Leatherman. Both are from Oregon, no prejudice there. If one gets lost or "borrowed", then I have a back up. Neither weigh much, but get the job done.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unknown

I'm partial to the Victorianox line of Swiss Army Knives. I have several of them but my favorite is the Swiss Champ XLT. It's loaded with everything (I beleieve it will even give you a sponge bath, but I'm still looking for that tool!)and comes in a very small size. The quality is outstanding and it will last for many years to come.

Good thread...I've been planning to get a multi-tool. I looked at the Leatherman Wave on the web and it looks great. Prices seem to average around 60 bucks...is that a fair price? Definitely going on my Christmas wish list....thanks

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

Victorinox also makes a Swiss Army Tool. Similar to the Leatherman except it is heaver and of course shinier icon_smile.gif Same great quality as their knives. It comes in different models too, for example, mine has 2 knives, you can get one with a knife and scissors (RS model) which of course came out after I got mine icon_frown.gif. All the knives/tools lock into place when opened and can be opened from the outside of the tool...no need to open the pliers to get to them. The leatherman looks cheap when compared to this baby icon_biggrin.gif155008_800.jpg

[This message was edited by ChiefPig on October 22, 2003 at 09:10 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:
Originally posted by Tikiroy:

Prices seem to average around 60 bucks...is that a fair price?

Yes, $58 is the lowest I've seen it on the web. So it depends on the best shipping and handling.

$58? they're £100 ($160) over in UK. You guys have it so easy! icon_frown.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

The Leatherman gets my vote. Sure the Swiss pocket knives are nice, but a tool on the belt is great! I have both and the Leatherman wins every time. If it is ever needed, you can do some hammering and prying that can't be done with a pocket knife.

Thomas (Who got a few free ones from Marlboro, in exchange for a touch of cancer)

Team Canope

One of my caches was just turned down for having a swiss army knife in it. So what ever your favorite, make sure not to put any knife in a cache. Only put multi tools.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

I want the tool for my pack, for when I need one to help locate a cache or whatever the circumstance might be. But thanks, I will remember not to put one in a cache, and if I see one in a cache, I will kindly remove it [icon_wink.gif] and save myself some money... lol

Not all who wander are lost

I have had the origional Leatherman for years (at least 13) and have carried it everywhere it seems. It has been the knife of choice for week long backcountry canoe trips, and has also been the only knife when backpacking. I also use daily at work. Still works like new.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

I pack a swiss army knife. Had it for over 12 years.

Also carry a leatherman and a small cheap pocket knife that is in the bottom of my pack somewhere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:
Originally posted by Tikiroy:

Prices seem to average around 60 bucks...is that a fair price?

Yes, $58 is the lowest I've seen it on the web. So it depends on the best shipping and handling.

$58? they're £100 ($160) over in UK. You guys have it so easy! icon_frown.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

That is when Ebay comes in handy icon_smile.gif

I have had a Gerber multiplier for about eight years, it's great to have in your pack for when conventional tools are not available. For swiss army knives, I prefer the Wenger brand. For a folding knife, I'm partial to Benchmade, they make some excellent knives. I try to stay away from serrated blades because they are difficult to sharpen, and are no good for precise cutting. (in my opinion) For a fixed blade knife, I have a classic Ka-bar. Out of the box it is one of the sharpest I've seen. It is not stainless so it will require a little more care, but will hold an edge well. Never hurts to have a good machete around, and an Estwing camp axe is handy for chopping up firewood. Mine is sharp enough to slice paper in two under the pressure of it's own weight.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

I have an original Leatherman and a Gerber, and I'm happiest with the Gerber since I can get the pliers out one-handed. As far as pocket sized, I just replaced the Leatherman Micro I've carried around for the past 6 years with a Leatherman Squirt P4--I prefer the pliers instead of scissors, and the blades and screwdrivers are on the outside, so they're easier to access.

"There comes a time in every rightfully constructed boy's life when he gets an urge to seek for buried treasure"--Mark Twain

For years I've used Wenger and Victoranox Swiss army knives. I always have one on my key chain. The only problem is that after about two years of being knocked around, the plastic handle falls off. So I send it back and they fix it for me (ain't those lifetime warranties great!). Because of this, I have two that I use in rotation. Not sure of the models, but a few things are important to me, so I make sure every knife I buy has them. In approximate order of how often I use them: #1 Blade, #2 bottle opener, #3 screwdriver, #4 corkscrew, #5 scissors, #6 can opener. One of the two I now have has pliars but I don't find them to be all that useful. Most of the other things on it do receive ocassional use.

I also have a Leatherman that I use for backpacking. It has some neat stuff on it like a small fork and butter knife which are useful for eating canned, smoked oysters (a favorite backpacking food of mine) and spreading peanut butter, or cheese on crackers. The Leatherman also has the all important cork screw and bottle opener, but is missing the can opener, so I have to bring along a P-38.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I have a Victorinox Champion and Swiss Champ, Original Leatherman, 2 Gerbers, and an SOG. The one that stays on my belt is the Schrade Tough Tool--the others all stay in the drawer. The *only* thing it lacks is scissors, which would be handy. I do keep a Victorinox Swiss Card in my (Victorinox) wallet that has some nice scissors. Oh, yes, a Cold Steel Titanium TI-Lite is always clipped in a front pocket for emergencies.

http://www.schradeknives.com/tools.htm

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."--Sherlock Holmes

Last Christmas, I bought my husband a Leatherman that he wears on his belt whenever he is not at work. My oldest son, the electrician and volunteer fireman, has a Gerber multitool that my sister gave him. My 15 y.o. Boy Scout uses a generic multitool. I have an LL Bean pocket knife on my keyring and don't feel the need for a multitool yet.

PeachyPA

Quilter, Cacher, Cubmaster

I had a Victorinox Champion for years. Replaced it with a Leatherman Wave. I missed the corkscrew, so I bought a Leatherman Flair for the picinic basket. Saw one of the Leatherman Juice models on sale, so it lives in the glovebox. Did a cache awhile ago that required a flashlight, so I bought a new belt pouch that holds the Wave and a Mini-Mag. The jury is still out on that arrangement. Best feature about the Wave is the one-hand operation of the main blades.

icon_biggrin.gif