GeoCoin Question

GoaTSniFFer

What is the consensus on GeoCoins, are they like TBs and if found should be passed along?

I found one (Texas coin) back in June that I logged, and just wanted to know what most people were doing with them.

They are very nice, and would be great to collect from other states!

- GoatSniFFer

"Don't you hate it when the toliet paper rips?"

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

[This message was edited by GoaTSniFFer on September 25, 2003 at 04:56 PM.]

census:An official, usually periodic enumeration of a population, often including the collection of related demographic information.

consensus:An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole: “Among political women... there is a clear consensus about the problems women candidates have traditionally faced”

icon_wink.gif

I would take and never let go if I were to find a geocoin. They are rare and very cool items. Similar to signature cards, I like to collect those too.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

A geocoin from Groundspeak has a tracking number on it just like a travel bug. It is considered a travel bug if,

1. the person who placed it has activated it and,

2. When he activated it he gave it some goal.

If you find a geocoin and it is not activated I believe it is meant as a prize and you can either keep it or activate it yourself and set it on its way. I have put 3 geocoins out there,1 was a prize for a friend, and the other 2 as bugs. Of the 2 ones goal is to hit 50 caches then the next finder get to keep it. The second is trying to make its way down to FL by cache mail to a specific cache and specific user. As for the state geocoins I have no idea, but I'd love to find some.

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

A geocoin from Groundspeak has a tracking number on it just like a travel bug.

I just checked the Groundspeak store and didn't see any 'Groundspeak geocoins' Do you have a link?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

Thanks.

Moun10Bike, your geocoins are rather popular all around the US and maybe further. Do you have some pics you can post and tell us what you do with yours? I assume they are for trade, what about yours Fisur?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

Here's a photo of one of my coins:

54784_200.jpg

The 200 that I have had minted so far are all Travel Bugs that can be tracked on Geocaching.com, although I give the finder the option of keeping the coin if he or she prefers. This has resulted in very few traveling Moun10Bike Geocoins (I underestimated their popularity when I came up with the idea). Once a geocoin has reached 2000 miles, though, I edit the description to ask that it continue to travel. There are only a handful of these around.

Jeremy was very gracious in offering to let me track the coins on the website way back when I first had them created, but that has turned out to be a pain for him. He has to field many emails each week from people asking if they can do the same thing. Because of this, he has asked that I stop tracking them as Travel Bugs on the site after the current batch is exhausted. As a result, I am completely redesigning the coins after #200 to distinguish the new, untrackable coins from the originals. I currently have 5 of the originals left in my possession.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hey Goatsniffer, I'm currently in the process of collecting all the geocoins I can too. Currently I have a Texas geocoin, Green Man coin, and Joy of Geocaching Coin. I bought 2 of each so I can keep one and put one out in a cache... (I still need 2 canadian and 2 US geocoins)

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

The 200 that I have had minted so far are all Travel Bugs that can be tracked on Geocaching.com, although I give the finder the option of keeping the coin if he or she prefers. This has resulted in very few traveling Moun10Bike Geocoins (I underestimated their popularity when I came up with the idea). Once a geocoin has reached 2000 miles, though, I edit the description to ask that it continue to travel. There are only a handful of these around.

I was lucky enough to find one of your coins and I passed it on to another cache so others could enjoy checking it out. It now has 8600 miles on it, but it looks like someone has taken it from a cache and not logged it (Bummer). Here is a map of its travels:

Geocoin_Travel.jpg

Sorry about that. I meant to put the info with my coin pictures above.

My coins are comming from KVCoins

First template, first 100 coins is costing me about $700. The next 100 will only be about $500 and if you order more than 100 initially the cost can go down quite a bit.

I should mention that the whole process takes about 6 weeks from start to delivery.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubeeslpr:

I am interested in having some coins minted with our sig info on them. Please Please someone tell me how to go about it.

Do a google/yahoo search for challenge coins. You should find some companies that can do the job.

We used militarychallengecoins.com (aka: wemakecoins.com) for the Team FISUR Geocoins. The 1st 100 cost a little over $4.00 per coin which included payment for the die. Once you have the die, the next set will cost less. If you get the coins individually numbered or want special edging, that'll cost you more.

Wanderingdragon had her coins made through D & R Military Specialties (militaryspecialties.com). They are very nice.

About a year ago, Groundspeak indicated that it would make a die available for one side of the coin with a geocaching.com logo. This makes the initial expense much less if you want the logo. It appears that the USA Geocoin and Oregon Geocoin have these sides, but I don't recall which company mints them. (Nurse Dave, one of the creators of the Oregon geocoin, might be a point of contact in this regard.)

Don't forget the plastic, wooden, and homemade geocoins that also impressive.

Good luck with your geocoin,

FISUR

Rhode Island Geocaching

The Oregon & U.S.A. Geocoins were minted by

www.pressedmetal.net

I am currently working with them about minting the California Geocoin (look for it come December).

F.Y.I.

If you area interested in getting a California Geocoin, I am creating a pre-order email list. The final design will be decided on in just a few days. The cost will depend on a few things, but it will likely be $3 to $4 each. If you want this coin, Email me at bobkat92@AOL.Com with the following info.

Subject: "Ordering CA. Geocoin" (please use those exact words in the subject field)

- Full Name

- Complete mailing address

- Number of CA. geocoins wanted

p.s., Groundspeak or myself are NOT making any profit off the minting of these coins. The cost per coin will only be what costs to get these geocoins minted.

These couns are all excellent but right now, not in my price range (I would need only a VERY small number) However, does anyone know an addy for a place where I can have a custom wood burning branding iron made? I know such things are available but I don't know where.

I set up my table saw recently to cut some very thin slices from an old oak branch that I found at the back while cleaning out the garage and I would love to 'brand' those and use them for sig items.

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

I'd like to find out how to make my own coins in my Laboratory (aka shop) at home.

So far all I've found is This, but if any of y'all know of or find information on making coins at home, either casting them (maybe lead-free solder?) or pressing them (I have a hydraulic bottle jack I could use as part of a press with some I-Beams and such to make a frame), please post the links!

Thanks,

-Mark

Vacman Geocoin

I just picked up one of Vacman's coins. The only way to describe them is: Awesome. They are huge (2") and look much better than the picture above. Very nice detail, debth, enameling, and deep clear coat over heavy bronze coin. I am planning one of my own and will use this company.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

I'd like to find out how to make my own coins in my Laboratory (aka shop) at home.

So far all I've found is http://newmarch.org/mmg/, but if any of y'all know of or find information on making coins at home, either casting them (maybe lead-free solder?) or pressing them (I have a hydraulic bottle jack I could use as part of a press with some I-Beams and such to make a frame), please post the links!

Thanks,

-Mark

Mark42: I've got a little hobby of doing metal design(mostly jewlery and stuff) so maybe I can give you some info. As far as using the jack, I think that if you use a plastic blank that should work, if you use copper sheet, say 18 gauge or so, you can use that, but it won't make a cool coin. If you want to cast the coins yourself, I recomend checking out jewlery supply shops if there's one near you. You can get wax to carve and many of the shops will make a mold. From the mold you can duplicate the wax, invest it, put in a kiln to melt the wax and make a mold which you use to mke the metal coin. It's a pretty involved process. Oxyacetal. torches, centerfuge casting machine, and the time and metal. The equipment is pretty expensive, but an inexpensive way is to take a casting class at a comunity college and learning the how-to. Or the cheaper(?) or easier rout is to make the wax, take it to the jewlery supply shop and order a number of casts. Drop me an e-mail if you want more info.

...the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

quote:
Originally posted by EScout:

_Vacman Geocoin_

I just picked up one of Vacman's coins. The only way to describe them is: Awesome. They are huge (2") and look much better than the picture above. Very nice detail, debth, enameling, and deep clear coat over heavy bronze coin. I am planning one of my own and will use this company.

It looks like Vacman has been busy releasing some of these coins. If 002 ever gets up my way, I think I'll release it in San Jose for people to enjoy. I think I'll take a picture of it first to use as my avatar for a few weeks. Pretty cool looking coin

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.