Ammunition Cache

Lyra

U.S. Special Forces Find Large Ammunition Cache

Wed Oct 2, 4:56 AM ET

BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan (Reuters) - U.S. special operations forces in Afghanistan have found a large cache of ammunition in the southern province of Uruzgan province, a military spokesman said Wednesday.

Col. Roger King told a news briefing at the U.S. military base at Bagram, just north of Kabul, that troops acting on a tip-off from the local governor discovered enough machine gun ammunition to fill three commercial trucks.

It was the third large arms cache found by U.S. troops in Afghanistan in the last five days after a total of nine truckloads of weapons and ammunition were unearthed in eastern Afghanistan late last week in two separate discoveries.

"Yesterday (October 1) special operation forces in the vicinity of Deh Rawud, in Uruzgan province, uncovered a large weapons cache," King said.

The ammunition was stored in two tunnels under a farm which were destroyed once the ammunition was removed.

"The coalition forces were directed to the location by Jan Mohammed Khan, the governor of the province," King added.

U.S.-led coalition forces numbering 12,000 are hunting for Taliban and al Qaeda remnants in Afghanistan, but recent operations have succeeded mainly in uncovering weapons and ammunition, much of it unusable, rather than engaging the enemy.

Click here for the link to this story.

Hmm...Wonder who placed that one? And why there hasn't been a log yet?

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

Please! No alcohol, tobacco, firearms, prescription or illicit drugs. Let's keep this safe and legal.

You can find that on this page.

Someone didn't read that page before placing that cache. icon_biggrin.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

Please! No alcohol, tobacco, firearms, prescription or illicit drugs. Let's keep this safe and legal.

You can find that on this page.

Someone didn't read that page before placing that cache. icon_biggrin.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

icon_smile.gifOctober 1 by Army Ranger (239 found)

Went for this one with Team Delta Force. Found cache after a short search. Coordinates were right on. Suffered only light casualties. Took a truckload of .50 cal. ammunition, left a golf ball. Thanks for the cache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

icon_smile.gifOctober 1 by Army Ranger (239 found)

Went for this one with Team Delta Force. Found cache after a short search. Coordinates were right on. Suffered only light casualties. Took a truckload of .50 cal. ammunition, left a golf ball. Thanks for the cache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Lame cache, seems to be no maintained. All I found was some shrapnel and defective plastic explosive ball, which seems to be left by last cacher, who by looks of his log can no spell "realize". I not even go to America and can spell that.

I find this no GPS easy (Not allowed here). Previous cachers have left a trail of smoldering ash right to cache site. Site is dirty and in ruins. I think that my brother's arm over on the hill. I think I go back to cave now and log this crappy find and give a nice hi ho to camel.

Took defective plastic explosive ball, left boobee trap landmine under cache box.

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

All the P/C people telling us how dangerous ammunition is. Yeah, if you crush it with a rock! I have about 2000 rounds of 9mm, 500 rounds of .223, 6000 rifle and pistol primers, and about 15 pounds of gun powder in the work shop about 20 feet from my ham shack. This is what I will need to compete in the upcomming matches this fall/winter. Yes, I shoot a lot! I would certainly enjoy a cache that was ammunition! Especially if it were the good Black Hills stuff. *grin* But all the P/C whiners would be out in force within seconds. Never ceases to amaze me how the scardy cats want to whine about perfectly legal things just because they are uncomfortable. Guess I don't get it!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Gee, now a person with common sense gets labeled "P/C". Neato. I guess the nice folks in this recent news story couldn't be accused of either one:

quote:

September 21, 2002

As 7-year-old Nelson Tapia sat on a couch Thursday afternoon, a family friend (an adult) picked up a loaded 12-gauge shotgun, pointed it at the boy from about 3feet away and pumped a shell into the gun's chamber, Syracuse police said.

The gun went off. The shot - small, BB-sized projectiles - tore into the boy's chest. He died moments later from massive internal injuries. Three other children under the age of 12 and several adults were in the room when the gun fired, police said.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Gee, now a person with common sense gets labeled "P/C". Neato. I guess the nice folks in this recent news story couldn't be accused of either one:

quote:

September 21, 2002

As 7-year-old Nelson Tapia sat on a couch Thursday afternoon, a family friend (an adult) picked up a loaded 12-gauge shotgun, pointed it at the boy from about 3feet away and pumped a shell into the gun's chamber

And how does this idiot, I'm sorry 'nice folks', with a shotgun have anything to do with a cache? Personally, I'd love to find a cache full of ammo. Is it a good idea? With some of the loonies around here? No. It would still be cool though. I could always use some more .45 for my IDPA matches. I've got lots of .223 I'd be happy to trade for it.

Tony

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

All the P/C people telling us how dangerous ammunition is. Yeah, if you crush it with a rock!

But all the P/C whiners would be out in force within seconds. Never ceases to amaze me how the scardy cats want to whine about perfectly legal things just because they are uncomfortable. Guess I don't get it!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

There are lots of things that are legal to possess that I'd never place in a cache. A short

list:

* live ammunition

* alchoholic beverages

* prescription drugs

* weapons

* 'adult' oriented literature

* tobacco products

In some cases, various laws make it illegal for me to give those things to other people (prescription drugs). In some cases, it's illegal to give them to minors (alchohol, tobacco). In some cases, I don't think its responsible to leave those things where children and other people who are apparently incapable of understanding the consequences of their actions can get their hands on them. Since I can't determine who will get their hands on things I leave in caches, I (and anyone else with even the smallest fraction of a sense of responsibility) do not leave that sort of thing in caches.

If you feel that makes me a 'p/c whiner', well, I think you're wrong. There's a difference between the class of behaviors you have a right to engage in, and the class of behaviors that you ought to engage in. If you have trouble understanding the difference between the two classes, I'd suggest you study up on the issue before you go labeling everyone with whom you disagree.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I'm pro-gun myself, but think it is very unwise to put ammunition in caches. I'm not worried about the other responsible adults finding it, but the kids who will try to smash it with a rock. Why put something so potentially dangerous and potentially able to turn public sentiment against geocaching in a cache, when there are so many other possible items to put in a cache instead?

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I'm not worried about the other responsible adults finding it, but the kids who _will_ try to smash it with a rock.

I am very Pro-gun. I don't agree with anything that disparages the lawful ownership of firearms.

However if there is anyway for children to get ahold of potentially esplosive material, of anykind, I have to discourage such a practice. Children do really stupid things when thier not supervised. I remember some friends throwing cans of spray paint in a fire just because of the explosion warning.grenade.gif

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gifGuns Don't Kill People, Ammo Kills People icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Guns don’t kill people - its the idiots that own them that do. But there is little to worry about - in a recent survey of 1450 gunowners, 86% answered that they weren’t idiots.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gifGuns Don't Kill People, Ammo Kills People icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Guns don’t kill people - its the idiots that own them that do. But there is little to worry about - in a recent survey of 1450 gunowners, 86% answered that they weren’t idiots.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

That's funny, I counted nineteen.

(BTW it is widely recognized that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.)

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

Would any intelligent gun owner really use ammo that they found in a cache.

Team Sand Dollar

Naaaa.... it is stupid at best, for a number of reasons, many of which were not listed! In a perfect world, it would work. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need guns. But this isn't a perfect world, so we have both guns and ammo-less caches. *grin*

However, as I predicted in my first message on this thread, the cache police would be screaming about it in seconds. I was not dissappointed!

It is amusing to see how easy some buttons are to push though.

It is a fact though that ammunition is not dangerous unless mis-used by stupid people. Ammo in a cache is still not dangerous until mis-used by a stupid cacher! The unfortunate thing here is that the intelligent majority are forced to shape their world around the stupid minority. The way I see it, it isn't any different than putting a cache on a 500 foot cliff, and telling the cacher it is dangerous. It is up to them to accept the danger or not. Simple, just not PC enough for some people.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Lemmings:

Are you sure about that 'intelligent MAJORITY' thing? icon_wink.gif

Anytime you need to worry about not doing something because someone else might mis-use it, yes... I think so. Maybe the world should have foam-rubber sidewalks instead of concrete, cause someone might jump from a building and commit suicide. Do you dis-agree?

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Lemmings:

Are you sure about that 'intelligent MAJORITY' thing? icon_wink.gif

Anytime you need to worry about not doing something because someone else might mis-use it, yes... I think so. Maybe the world should have foam-rubber sidewalks instead of concrete, cause someone might jump from a building and commit suicide. Do you dis-agree?

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Ammo in a cache is still not dangerous until mis-used by a stupid cacher!

Or accidentally found by children stumbling upon a cache. They may be neither cachers nor stupid, just uninformed or immature.

quote:
The way I see it, it isn't any different than putting a cache on a 500 foot cliff, and telling the cacher it is dangerous. It is up to them to accept the danger or not. Simple, just not PC enough for some people.

You are again assuming that only responsible geocachers who know what they are going to find will seek the cache and get their hands on the ammunition. Maybe you are just really new to this game and don't realize it, but caches are routinely found accidentally, no matter how well they are hidden.

My concern isn't with responsible, gun-owning adults finding the cache, but with the uninformed and innocent doing so. Children won't be playing around a 500 foot cliff unless grossly unsupervised. They will, however, tend to accidentally stumble across traditional caches hidden in your typical hiding spots.

Look, I support your right to keep and bear arms. But there's a huge leap between that and putting ammunition in caches that anyone may eventually find. As I asked before, why take that risk when there are much better things to do with your ammo, and much more appropriate items available for caches?

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

Look, I support your right to keep and bear arms. But there's a huge leap between that and putting ammunition in caches that _anyone_ may eventually find. As I asked before, why take that risk when there are much better things to do with your ammo, and much more appropriate items available for caches?

Where did he or anyone else state any plans to do so? People talk about how it'd be cool to find $100 bills in caches too but noone really does that either. I did find a $25 gift certificate as a first finder last week. That was quite a surprise.

quote:

Maybe you are just really new to this game and don't realize it, but caches are routinely found accidentally, no matter how well they are hidden.

Not at all. Don't let number of caches logged confuse you with number of cache hunts participated in. Some of us are not in it for the numbers game, and just enjoy the hike along with others who did the logging. I pretty much only log what I find on my own, not with the group.

quote:

My concern isn't with responsible, gun-owning adults finding the cache, but with the uninformed and innocent doing so.

And nowhere did you see me type that I would do such a thing. My initial post was that it was a good idea, except for..... I just knew there would be a flood of screams after that. Perhaps I didn't carry my thoughts out far enough.

quote:

Look, I support your right to keep and bear arms. But there's a huge leap between that and putting ammunition in caches that _anyone_ may eventually find. As I asked before, why take that risk when there are much better things to do with your ammo, and much more appropriate items available for caches?

Then we are on the same side, except perhaps my first post wasn't clear enough. I was primarily expecting and predicting a flood of individuals screaming about how dangerous ammunition is, when in fact it is no more dangerous than a McToy. A child could swallow a part of a McToy and choke. Who is responsible for that?

Somehow I don't think I am getting the point across, but one of the problems in America is the blame game. Blame the McToy for choking the kid, not the kid for swallowing it or the parents for lack of supervision. Sue McDonalds? Yep, that works too. Now you get warm coffee.

There are dangerous things everywhere, ammunition is not the worst. Don't put it in a cache, but don't freak out is you find some either. It won't hurt you. BTW, simple physics here, do you know what a bullet will do if you somehow detonate it outside a gun? Don't believe what you see in the movies. HINT: Newton's second (The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and is inversely proportional to its mass. The direction of the acceleration is in the direction of the applied net force) and third (For every action (or force) there is a reaction (or opposing force) of equal straight but opposite direction) laws. Personally, I fear much more for what kids might encounter on the streets today, too much of that in the news as it is. But that is another story. Martial Arts is good for young girls.... wonder what that statement will stir up???

Still friends?

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

And nowhere did you see me type that I would do such a thing. My initial post was that it was a good idea, except for..... I just knew there would be a flood of screams after that. Perhaps I didn't carry my thoughts out far enough.

Actually the full quote was "You know, this isn't a bad idea, except for... All the P/C people telling us how dangerous ammunition is"

You may not have intended for you subject and the first line of your reply to be taken together, but with the ... it read as one continuous thought. So it seemed like you were saying "Ammo in a cache would be a good idea except all the PC people would complain about it." Taken as a whole it appeared that you were condoning putting ammo in caches and classifying those that disagreed as PC. (I guess I would take being called PC as in insult, some would probably find it a compliment. icon_biggrin.gif)

Sorry I made the guns/ammo joke in the first place, I thought 6 icon_wink.gif 's would keep people from getting fired up.

Actually the full quote was "You know, this isn't a bad idea, except for... All the P/C people telling us how dangerous ammunition is"

You may not have intended for you subject and the first line of your reply to be taken together, but with the ... it read as one continuous thought. So it seemed like you were saying "Ammo in a cache would be a good idea except all the PC people would complain about it." Taken as a whole it appeared that you were condoning putting ammo in caches and classifying those that disagreed as PC. (I guess I would take being called PC as in insult, some would probably find it a compliment. icon_biggrin.gif)

Sorry I made the guns/ammo joke in the first place, I thought 6 icon_wink.gif 's would keep people from getting fired up.

Why ammo in a cache is bad.

What will happen when the cache is caught in a fire such as the fires in AZ this year. One cache (Boo-Boo Bear's Cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6905)

was recovered after the fire and although the ammo box was recognizable the contents where rather charred (see pictures). Had there been ammo in the can, there would have been some nice holes in it. Not really a problem unless your the firefighter standing near the cache.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

Where did he or anyone else state any plans to do so?

GoldKey already answered this well. The argument seemed to be that the only reason to not put ammunition in a cache was because the PC crowd would object, and I was simply trying to argue that there are other reasons.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

What if the cache was 200 miles from the nearest road and was only accessible by floatplane. I think a "Leave a cartridge cache" would be kind of a neat cache for hunters to participate in. Better than choking on McToy's.

Yeah, Yeah, I know, "the RULES clearly state . . ."

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

I put live ammo in the same class as used golf balls. Would any intelligent gun owner really use ammo that they found in a cache. I've come across a couple of caches that had some rounds in them and if I do in the future I will just remove them like I do with lighters (another well thought out cache item).

Team Sand Dollar

I leave my signature item in every cache, a fired, empty .38 case. I don't expect anyone to take it. It's not meant as a trade item. It's my silver bullet ("who was that masked man?" for those of you old enough to know where that line is from) as I mount my horse and in a cloud of dust and Hi-Oh Silver, I'm away.

I would not put a live round in any cache. 1) I don't see a need to leave a live round. 2) If someone would trade for a live round as a "novelty" it could get them jammed up with the law. In IL possession of ammo without a Firearms Owners ID Card (FOID) is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to 1 yr and $1000 fine. And if the cacher happens to have a prior felony conviction they'd be in a heap of more trouble. Even if a person wasn't charged it could sure ruin a good caching weekend.

quote:

quote:
Martial Arts is good for young girls.... wonder what that statement will stir up???

Hearty support. Was that more or less what you were expecting?

Beta Lem.

ps - sorry to have had a light hearted moment in the middle of what was clearly a pretty serious discussion - I was led astray by the tone of the earlier posts.

Yep. *grin* I guess this is serious only to folks with nothing better to do. Hmmmm... what does that say about me??? *BIG grin*

quote:

Yeah, sometimes when I type on the fly, my thoughts ar not as connected as they are when I sit and think about it. If you ask my wife, she might tell you other things are not connected all the way either. But my dog loves me. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
What will happen when the cache is caught in a fire such as the fires in AZ this year.

Actually, not much. Don't believe what you see in the movies. Yes, there is a pop. And the brass shell will rupture, and parts of it may zing around. But the bullet is heavier than the rest, and will not move much, hence Newton's second and third laws. Think of a big truck (heavy bullet) hitting a VW beetle (shell casing).

Although I have never tried, I would guess the ammo would not even penetrate the ammo can. It would be an interesting experiment. I will let you know if I have the chance to try it... safely of course.

quote:

Absolutely. It's just a discussion, after all!

Actually, we are pretty much in agreement based on your last post.

As I thought. I better vow to not do this stuff while I am on break... not enough time to fully read my replies. icon_biggrin.gif

This is my Friday. Wish I could go caching with my friends, even go an invite. But it is a 4 day dog show for me. If my dog qualifies just one day, we move up to the open class. Let me see if I can remember how to attach an image to this so you-all can see my dog.

Y-all have a great weekend.

Mike.

parker-hike.jpg

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

quote:
Martial Arts is good for young girls.... wonder what that statement will stir up???

Hearty support. Was that more or less what you were expecting?

Beta Lem.

ps - sorry to have had a light hearted moment in the middle of what was clearly a pretty serious discussion - I was led astray by the tone of the earlier posts.

Yep. *grin* I guess this is serious only to folks with nothing better to do. Hmmmm... what does that say about me??? *BIG grin*

quote:

Yeah, sometimes when I type on the fly, my thoughts ar not as connected as they are when I sit and think about it. If you ask my wife, she might tell you other things are not connected all the way either. But my dog loves me. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
What will happen when the cache is caught in a fire such as the fires in AZ this year.

Actually, not much. Don't believe what you see in the movies. Yes, there is a pop. And the brass shell will rupture, and parts of it may zing around. But the bullet is heavier than the rest, and will not move much, hence Newton's second and third laws. Think of a big truck (heavy bullet) hitting a VW beetle (shell casing).

Although I have never tried, I would guess the ammo would not even penetrate the ammo can. It would be an interesting experiment. I will let you know if I have the chance to try it... safely of course.

quote:

Absolutely. It's just a discussion, after all!

Actually, we are pretty much in agreement based on your last post.

As I thought. I better vow to not do this stuff while I am on break... not enough time to fully read my replies. icon_biggrin.gif

This is my Friday. Wish I could go caching with my friends, even go an invite. But it is a 4 day dog show for me. If my dog qualifies just one day, we move up to the open class. Let me see if I can remember how to attach an image to this so you-all can see my dog.

Y-all have a great weekend.

Mike.

parker-hike.jpg

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Wadcutter:

If someone would trade for a live round as a "novelty" it could get them jammed up with the law. In IL possession of ammo without a Firearms Owners ID Card (FOID) is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to 1 yr and $1000 fine. And if the cacher happens to have a prior felony conviction they'd be in a heap of more trouble. Even if a person wasn't charged it could sure ruin a good caching weekend.

I don't want to get into a big firearms discussion but, wow, I didn't realize IL was that messed up. You have to be registered just to possess ammo? I guess we've got it better than I thought in Ol' Tejas.

I'll cross IL off my job search. I don't even wanna think about what would happen if we tried to bring our toys. icon_smile.gifabf.thumb.jpg

[This message was edited by Team Bohica on October 03, 2002 at 03:56 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Wadcutter:

If someone would trade for a live round as a "novelty" it could get them jammed up with the law. In IL possession of ammo without a Firearms Owners ID Card (FOID) is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to 1 yr and $1000 fine. And if the cacher happens to have a prior felony conviction they'd be in a heap of more trouble. Even if a person wasn't charged it could sure ruin a good caching weekend.

I don't want to get into a big firearms discussion but, wow, I didn't realize IL was that messed up. You have to be registered just to possess ammo? I guess we've got it better than I thought in Ol' Tejas.

I'll cross IL off my job search. I don't even wanna think about what would happen if we tried to bring our toys. icon_smile.gifabf.thumb.jpg

[This message was edited by Team Bohica on October 03, 2002 at 03:56 PM.]