Yet Another Poll - Favorite Hiding Container

There has been a lot of talk about what the better container is to hide a cache in. Both sides seems to call the other side irresponsible. Despite the fact that the ratio of Ammo Boxes to Tupperware blown up is 1:1, people still have strong feelings about this.

So what is your favorite container to hide your cache in?

Post why in the thread below.

Most of my reasons for preferring them have already been mentioned, but ammo cans are:

1. Cheap (I buy used from Cheaper Than Dirt)

2. Camouflaged

3. Easy to customize with spraypaint and stencils

4. Watertight

5. Impervious to gnawing critters

6. The right size for the "Official Geocache" sticker!

7. Available in a variety of sizes (I prefer the spacious .50-caliber size or the smaller .30-caliber size if I need it to fit in a small cubby)

8. Not prone to having the lid pop off if/when overfilled

Since I generally hide my caches away from urban areas, the concern about them being perceived as bombs is not really a factor for me.

24_700.gif

Ammo cans are in such a large supply that they become the easiest (and arguably best) cache container. They are watertight, heavy (so they don't float away), and just the right size.

I agree, however, that there is a right place and a wrong place to hide an ammo container. Make sure to spraypaint it to cover all the military text, and put your contact information and/or the web site on the side so folks know what it is or who to contact when they spot it. In addition, refrain from hiding them by transportation centers, like railways, bridges, etc. But all caches should stay clear of those areas anyway.

The only negative side is they can stink sometimes, but a quick bath in some bleach-water and it is good as new.

Jeremy

I've been using the Rubbermaid-style food storage containers for my caches, but there is no argument that ammo cans are the best. As for hiding places, I really like the concept of faux rocks and stumps, and I think that will be my very next project.

Cheers ...

Rich in NEPA

1132_1000.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

I've had a lot of luck with the one gallon Rubbermaid storage container with a white screw on lid. Water proof, fairly durable and less than $3.00 at the local Wally World. The clear body is a plus if you're going to place it somewhere that it might be confused with something "middle eastern and making a loud noise" icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

I've had a lot of luck with the one gallon Rubbermaid storage container with a white screw on lid. Water proof, fairly durable and less than $3.00 at the local Wally World. The clear body is a plus if you're going to place it somewhere that it might be confused with something "middle eastern and making a loud noise" icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

More "bang" for your buck! Worth the extra money. I've never found one with water inside or so full I couldn't close the cover. You can fit large objects inside it. I've never heard of one having to be replaced because it was cracked or chewed on by a critter.

Staples sells these black plastic file folder boxes with clear plastic top for about $10. They appear to be durable in what passes for this winters cold snow storms. They are large enough to the frequent problem of cache goodie breeding.

The second best cache container is the ammo boxes. Although in this 9/11 era, I believe that more attention needs to be made to make the box look more like a responsible entertainment object and less like something that used to hold dangerious objects. I don't have a satisfactory answer yet how to do that to an ammo box yet which is why I like the plastic box above.