Humorous muggle encounters

That's pretty funny Team OROAK. That reminds me of something that happened in the very early days of geocaching...

I was looking for a cache in NYC. It was a multi and to get the final coordinates, you had to call the cache owner on a FRS. But the owner forgot to mention which channel to use on the cache page.

So I was near the cache and really frustrated that I couldn't get in touch with the owner, when a guy who looked really familiar walked towards me. Thinking it was the cache owner (KBer), I walked up to him and asked "What's the frequency Kenneth?". He gave me an odd look, as if he didn't know what I was talking about, so I repeated it louder..."What's the frequency Kenneth?". Just then I noticed a mosquito on his face about to bite him, so I slapped it. Startled, he fell backwards. Almost simultaneously, I tripped and accidently caught him on the side of the face with my boot. He started screaming, so I figured I'd better get the hey out of there and took off and headed home to log a DNF.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 30, 2003 at 11:47 AM.]

Once upon a time, there were four cachers, Enfanta, Mopar, The Leprechauns and Ce'Nedra. They all set out happily to find a little cache up on a mountain. As they got to the site, they found the cache and stood in a half circle around the area. Up above on a small trail, a group of mountain bikers was passing through and decided to ask what we were doing. As normal people would do, Enfanta ventured a few feet up the hill and calmly replied that we were about to all get naked and perform a ritualistic orgy. Being the polite sincere person that she is, she invited them to participate, and to our surprise, the bikers actually hung around a bit to see if thats what we were actually about to do. Just as we all were about to suffocate from holding our breath to avoid laughing ourselves right off the side of the mountain, the bikers finally decided to retreat, and I about peed my pants. And so you have it, just another enjoyable cache hunt, Enfanta style.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I can't top BrianSnat's story (which I'm STILL laughing at by the by) but I did have this encounter with a Geomuggle once.

To set the scene, I was caching in Brookline, Mass. There is a resevoir right next to a major roadway. There is a walking/bike path that goes around the resevoir, and there is a grassy hill between the bike path and the road. So, I was walking up from the bike path to search the grassy hill for the cache. Ahead of me was the roadway (at the top of the hill).

Pan

Outside of dogs, reading is man's best friend.

Inside of dogs... it's too dark to read. - Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

That's pretty funny Team OROAK. That reminds me of something that happened in the very early days of geocaching...

I was looking for a cache in NYC. It was a multi and to get the final coordinates, you had to call the cache owner on a FRS. But the owner forgot to mention which channel to use on the cache page.

So I was near the cache and really frustrated that I couldn't get in touch with the owner, when a guy who looked really familiar walked towards me. Thinking it was the cache owner (KBer), I walked up to him and asked "What's the frequency Kenneth?". He gave me an odd look, as if he didn't know what I was talking about, so I repeated it louder..."What's the frequency Kenneth?". Just then I noticed a mosquito on his face about to bite him, so I slapped it. Startled, he fell backwards. Almost simultaneously, I tripped and accidently caught him on the side of the face with my boot. He started screaming, so I figured I'd better get the hey out of there and took off and headed home to log a DNF.

BWAH HA ha ha ha! Oh, man... I can just see it. And the "tinfoil hat crowd" comment from Team OROAK's log had me rolling!

I don't have many funny stories, aside from the one where I was walking along a paved path, looking for the likely geocache location, and two kids passed me going the other way. A second or two later, I decided I had passed it and turned around -- walking as slow as I could so they'd gain distance. Well, a minute or so later, one of the kids turned around and shrieked, "Stop following us!" and they took off running. I had to sit down from laughing.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by woof & lulu:

Musta been all those pieces of candy you hand dangling from your shirt Joefrog...

LOL! If I hadn't been so surprised, I would have walked fast behind them, just to see them pee their britches.

"Want some candy? WANT SOME CANDY??" icon_biggrin.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Most of my cache hunts have been fairly free of such encounters ....mostly due to active stealth but there was a funny encounter I had a while back while hunting a couple BM's in a park. The Benchmark coords were off quite a bit for one of them so I was walking around this park in all directions with the GPSr in hand and camera around my neck not really trying to be stealthy like I am when huntng caches....when I notice a couple slightly nosey old women following me around trying to see what I was up to. This got to be funny after like another 15 mins of walking around the park with GPSr out in front of me and frequently consulting the BM printout and jotting notes. Well their curiosity was really getting them going as they crept closer and closer to me ...when I turned toward them....made a scanning motion (Tricorder like) ....GPSr beeping as I was within 100ft of the coord...... I looked a bit concerned at first then looked up and said....its okay...the readings are fine now. .....eyes wide...they high tailed it out of the park without a word as I did all I could do not to fall over laughing. icon_biggrin.gif

Found the BM's and then went back to my car and LMAO for a while as I thought about it more. ....yeah I'm twisted like that. icon_wink.gif

---------------

Bushwhacking is much easier in an M1 Abrams!

There are two occasions that come to mind. The first was when I was hunting with a group in LA. There were five of us, and we came across some hikers who appeared to be disoriented. An excerpt from my log:

We encountered a group of young hikers during our travels who asked, rather ironically, if we knew where we were. Seems they were having some difficulty meeting up with their pick-up crew. Do you suppose they knew we had five GPS receivers with us? I allowed one lovely girl to use my cellular phone to straighten out their dilemma.

We found what we figured was the right spot, parked the van and headed out on foot. Shortly my phone rang with a call-back from the person who was trying to find the hikers. He wanted me to give him better directions. I attempted to explain, and inquired if he had a map. "No," was his response, and then he told me he had it figured out. No map?

The other was happened in AR while I was alone:

When I attempted to return the container to the hiding spot, a van pulled up. Two men got out and called to me. I figured it was park rangers or something. Our exchange went like this:

Man: Excuse me.

Jamie: Yes?

Man: Do you know where the NA campout it?

Jamie: The what?

Man: NA. Narcotics Anonymous. There's a group campout this weekend.

Jamie: Uh. No. I don't know anything about that.

I decided not the rehide the cache until I had a better opportunity. I waited until the two men preoccupied themselved by looking at the park map, then I ambled over to the hiding spot and quickly returned the cache.

I didn't have fun with them like some of you folks, though.

Jamie

Originally posted by BrianSnat:

icon_eek.gif

I'm surprised no one else remembers this related anecdote. Several years ago Dan Rather was assualted near his NYC brownstone. I wasn't a mugging since he was not robbed, but he was beaten up pretty badly. The attacker asked him "What's the Frequency Kenneth?" Just another deranged REM fan lost in the city.....

OK I'm dating myself. I just googled the incident; it happened back in 1986 so that let's you off the hook for that one Brian. Yours was just a copycat attack. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Here's an excerpt from a log entry on one of my caches which is ironically named Peep Hole. The log is from the first day the cache was available for an event, which helps to explain some of it:

... the find was not without its difficulties. Now, understand, all day long others had been coming up while we were searching, or we came up on others, and it was always nice to know if they were still looking (so you could go help), or if they had already found it (so you could hang back). So, naturally, when we (two big and one little guy) saw the other geocachers (mom and small daughter) approaching down side trail, we wanted to warn them that we were currently signing the log book so as not to ruin their fun. So, naturally again, I yelled to them, ''we have it out.'' Well - from the look of horror on their faces, and the way they ran back towards the main trail, I think it's safe to assume they were not actually geocachers at all. It's probably lucky we did not have to explain our little missive to the Park Rangers.

Recently I arrived at a cachesite which was a large porch/gazebo type of structure.

A young guy came up the same time as I, and I was caught red-handed with my GPS out.

I asked him, "Are you a Cacher?"

He replied, "Yea...sure."

icon_confused.gif

I explained to him what all I was doing and showed him the cache, but he wasn't interested

in anything other than the cost of my GPS.

I'm still wondering what it was he thought

I asked him....."Want some cash, sir?"

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon: ...I was caching in Brookline, Mass. There is a resevoir right next to a major roadway. There is a walking/bike path that goes around the resevoir, and there is a grassy hill between the bike path and the road. So, I was walking up from the bike path to search the grassy hill for the cache. Ahead of me was the roadway (at the top of the hill).

Pan

I used to live not far from this area in 1997/1998 B.C. (Before Caching) it's a pretty nice area. Just don't wander too far South, if you know what I mean! icon_wink.gif

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

I had a humorous muggle encounter while looking for a cache in the foothills of Fort Collins, CO.

On the side of the hill is a large painted "A" visible from a long way away. So, it is a popular hike to go up to the A. Someone hid a geocache closeby, and I was hiking up there to find it. I had my GPS, the geocaching page printout, and a printout of a satellite image of the area.

As I was hiking along, a group of three college-aged girls approached me and asked me if I knew how to get to the "A". I said, "I haven't been to the A, but if you look at this satellite picture, you can see that we are here, and the A is about 300 yards west of here...".

They said, "Wow. That's cool. So, a satellite took a picture of this area?"

I said, "Yep...."

Then, all three of them looked up into the sky...

I had to bite by lip to keep from laughing. I guess they figured there was a satellite above them, looking down and taking pictures of them. Oh, well... The future of America....

I thought this post was funny. It was from Outta Here in a recent thread about Airport Security and GPSr.

quote:
I went to San Jose recently on SouthWest. On the way there I had a middle seat. I tried, but my Merridian couldn't find even a single sat. On the return trip I made sure to get a window seat, and held my up GPSr up to the window while we were still at the gate to see how reception was going to be (answer: good enough as long as it was held right at the window, nothing otherwise) As I was waiting to see if I was going to get a fix, the lady in the center seat leaned over and said in a confidential voice: "You're at the San Jose Airport."

Matthew 5:1-11

Some of my favorite muggle stories:

Scaring the heck out of four kids at Meditation Cache in Columbus, Ohio:

quote:
Just as I finished hiding the cache a bit better, I heard voices and saw four boys, about 11 years old, walking along the edge of the woods. I flattened down on the ground so as not to give away the cache location. Wearing all olive green and camo, I blended in very well. Too well. It turned out the kids had come to see the geocache! They were part of the cleanup crew and had stumbled upon it earlier. When they cut into the woods and said 'where was it again?' I knew I was busted. So, I sat up and said 'hi there.' What followed was a chorus of four long screams, of a magnitude usually reserved for horror movies and rollercoasters. They thought I was either a 'dead body come back to life' or one of the strange men that hang around in parks, the type their parents warn about. This scene reminded me of the movie 'Stand by me' starring geocacher Wil Wheaton.

After calming down the four boys, I explained geocaching to them and asked that they leave the cache in place. By taking some time with them, I got them interested in our game. One of the fellows thinks he can borrow a GPS from his grandfather! I took a bad situation and made the best of it. Hopefully the cache will stay around for a long time to come, as this is a very nice park. Thanks for a most interesting cache hunt!

Being mistaken for a game commission officer at Above the Bridge cache outside Pittsburgh:

quote:
Back at the parking lot, I came upon a gentleman who was feeding a group of feral cats, for whom he had built a little shelter 25 feet into the woods. Seeing me in my olive green cache pants, vest, hat, and backpack, with GPS and GMRS radio and cellphone hanging off the vest, he freaked out, and asked me if I was with the PA Game Commission. 'Please don't take my kitties!' he pleaded. I told him that I was just a hiker, and he had nothing to fear, as the last thing on my mind was getting a little pussy in the woods. I had another cache to get to before dark!

Getting "picked up" on my way to Homestead cache in Salt Fork State Park, Ohio:

quote:
This was one of the most interesting hunts in my cache-a-thon. Darkness was fast approaching. I had read the description and logs, and knew to avoid the woods and follow the golf course. But where's the 6th green? Just as I paused to figure things out by the 9th hole, a lovely blonde woman drives up in a golf cart and asks: hey there, are you doing some hiking? I replied that actually I was involved in a sort of scavenger hunt and I needed to find something behind the 6th green. So, lovely blonde offers me a ride to the green in her golf cart. Along the way, I explain geocaching to her and she says it sounds like way more fun than golf, and did I want for her to wait while I found the cache? I said no, sometimes they take a long time to find. So.... she drove back to finish caddying for her husband and son. Oh well, for a minute there, it was NOT the typical geocaching story!

And finally, yes, as noted above, going on a cache hunt with Enfanta is bound to generate a humorous muggle encounter story.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Some of my favorite muggle stories:

quote:
What followed was a chorus of four long screams, of a magnitude usually reserved for horror movies and rollercoasters.

LOL! Oh, that's good... the kitty encounter is bound to be edited, but it's funny!

Joel (joefrog)

quote:
Recently I arrived at a cachesite which was a large porch/gazebo type of structure.

If that was the cache that it think it was, it was likely some confused agricultural student. Possibly one who also just got done filling himself up on beer and pizza across the street.

I still need to go find that cache. It is silly that I haven't logged it when I drive right by it all the time. I don't even need my GPS for it.

pika waving

Few weeks ago i was driving home from work and decided to grab one Travel Bug from the multicache i had already found earlier. The final cache location was near military area. I turned from the main road to the small by-road and almost immediately i had to make a panic braking as suddenly a big tank rolled from the left side forest just in front of my car. Well, it came from the left, so in court i would have won, if i had been still alive icon_wink.gif

Well, the humorous part came a little bit later. I drove close to the final cache, and because i was in a hurry, i jumped out of my car and rushed in a small forest. And just when i was about to pick the cache container up, i noticed a big group of well camouflaged soldiers staring at me, they were only about 50-100 metres away from me. Uuups, what should i do now? If i had picked up the cache, the soldiers would have noticed it and it would possibly have been the end of that cache. So, i had about 2 seconds to think what to do... and - voilà! - suddenly i got an idea: i dropped down my jeans and pants, crouched down like having a sh... - well you know... And at the same second, all the soldiers stopped staring at me and turned their faces to opposite direction. I opened the cache, grabbed the Travel Bug, closed the box and put it back where it was. After that i hiked up my pants and jeans and walked back to my car. And none of the camouflaged geomuggles realised what i had just really done. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gifbad_boy_a.giftongue.gif