Freeloaders !!

Here are the Top 10 Geocache finders who have not placed a cache for the rest of us to find. Otherwise known as Freeloaders !! I don't care if they are Charter members or not, if they haven't placed at least 1 cache for the rest of us to find, then they are Freeloaders !!

Finds Hides

Stats removed by admin.

Now, it's easy to get off the Freeloader list, all you have to do is place 1 cache for the rest of us to find !!

I got these numbers off of Dan Miller's website on May 20th, 2002. It is possible that one or more of these people hide caches under a different name than they find them, if so let me know and I will remove you from the list.

7047_200.gif

[This message was edited by Jeremy Irish on May 22, 2002 at 08:08 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

Here are the Top 10 Geocache finders who have not placed a cache for the rest of us to find. Otherwise known as Freeloaders !!

Nope, I never want there to be any pressure to place a cache if the inspiration never hits you. If it does it does, if not, then not. I mean what is the point of people placing a cache because they feel they need to meet a minimum rather then thinking of a great location to place a cache?

Then there are people like my Dad who loves placing caches and coming with creative locations for them, but the hunt does not do much for him.

The only problem with dan millers site is that it can be inaccurate. Take me for example, according to dan millers site I have zero hides. When I actually have Four.

Owyhee Lodging

Pack Rats Bluff and Jumpin'up the Canyon

These are co-owned. And Rock-n-Hole.

So if you are not the first person listed as owner or there are no log finds, you will not be credit with a hide. Just my view!

Well in Az anyway we have 9 people in the top 100 hiders that have zero finds...some people like to hide, some like to find....no big deal. We have one person with a 157:32 find hide ratio...so if some people like to find only I dont see it as a prob....but then we have over 550 caches here so....

Check here for the stats

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

How about the people who cache with other people... Lots of finds, but perhaps all the hides are listed on another person in their team, eh?

Plus, I'm sure we've all seen at least a cache or two that would have been better unhidden. I'd much rather someone be a freeloader than have just one more stupid, dangerous, or illegal cache. (I call **very** few caches stupid, dangerous, or illegal, but there have been enough to not like the hiders' talents too much.)

You call 'em freeloaders. I call 'em geocachers. Some like to hide. Some like to find. Most do both but some don't. So what? There's plenty of caches for everyone to find. Lighten up. Also I agree with Clayjar's opinion.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

The people you are tagging as freeloaders here.......you have no idea why they haven't hid a cache.

Could it be that they don't feel like they could hide a decent cache? It does take thought and planning you know. I know of one cacher that has over a 100 finds and finally put out his first cache. His reason for not putting out one before might make you stop and think. He was computer intimidated and wasn't sure that he could post it right!

The point being....there are many reasons people don't place one. It might be the cost (average about 20.00). The fear that no one will hunt their cache. Whatever the reason, there are plenty of caches out there with out singling out people for not placing one.

I once went on a rampage about the same thing in my area, until I met the above mentioned cacher and heard his reason. It made me stop and think. Maybe you should too.

Some people are hiders...some are seekers. I had rather hunt for a cache that someone put thought into and enjoyed hiding, rather than one that was put out with no thought to get them off your list.

My numbers? 6 caches placed. 14 found in a years time. Save you from having to go look.

Just an old farts opinion. Happy geocaching.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

You have got to be kidding me. Someone actually took the time to figure that out.

I seen a survey on here asking if the number of founds should be removed. At that time my opinion was no, but now that I see that some people are so concerned what other people are doing maybe they should be removed.

I have not paid personally but my team has. Does that make me any different than anybody else? I know thats not the topic here but as far as placing caches, I have placed just about all that my team has hidden. But I have not put any out on my own account Does that make me a freeloader? By your definition I am.

But on the other hand you should ask this question...

Who of you out there degrades a cache?

i.e. Take a 3-4 doller shot glass and leave a pair of dice. Take a really nice compass and leave a used McDonalds toy. These are the people that I would consider "freeloaders". Take the good stuff and leave junk.

I try to leave a cache in better condition than when I found it. Take something and leave something of equal or greater value. At least thats what is supposed to happen.....

And as far as "ol stomping grounds", not a bad idea and if I had MORE stuff with me on that "TRIP" (Karens Klamath Cache was my main priority) I would have left it in better condition. Neat experiment, but I would have put something in the cache page to let people know more about what the cache was a bout. Could have been a real big disappointment to some. I was a little........

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

In our area it's gotten to where we are getting a lot of new players. Some have taken up and placed a cache or two. I really appreciate that. But we have others who are holding back from placing them. I encourage all to place at least one cache for every 10 finds. I place a lot but I also want to be able to log a cache without having to drive an hour or more.

Caches don't have to be fancy drawn out things. They don't have to be boxes filled with riches. Even a virtual is enjoyable. Make your first cache fairly easy.

What some may miss out on is the enjoyment you get when someone logs your cache. You get a cool announcement from the website and that makes it a lot of fun. Knowing you've added to the enjoyment of this hobby is reward enough.

Those on the list may hide them under someone elses name but it's weird to have hundreds of finds without a single hide.

Right now I'm about 3 finds to 1 hide. I hide some easy ones and I hide some that require quite a hike. Don't thumb your nose at those easy ones either. There are many older cachers and some others may have physical restrictions. They want to play also. Some cachers bring young kids with them.

I think Peanuthead is right on the money on this one. Everyone loves to brag about the numbers. Well big number people, hide some for the rest of us.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

Here are the Top 10 Geocache finders who have not placed a cache for the rest of us to find. Otherwise known as Freeloaders !! I don't care if they are Charter members or not, if they haven't placed at least 1 cache for the rest of us to find, then they are Freeloaders !!

I don't recall it being a requirement to hide (or find for that matter) to be a charter member. Just a monatery donation.

Personally if folks don't want to hide, fine by me that just means Less Virtuals, Locationless, micro, urbans, or lame traditionals.

IMHO, people just tossing them out there with no though or care to the hide (or maintence) is worse then not hiding.

Try this, look up how many people have More Hides then Finds or No Finds and few hides that have never been maintained since they were placed.

It is things like that that make Park Rangers/Forest Perserves say that Geocaching is nothing more then littering.

How many people find this site get all gunho about Geocaching find 2 or 3 then never come back fo one reason or another. Now you want to alienate people because they don't hide????

okay I'll close the vent now.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

This is the most imflammatory post I have EVER seen on this board. Who died and gave you the right to dictate to others what they will and will not do in relation to caching? And then to go one step further by holding them 'hostage' with this stupid list of yours.

You are being narrow minded in your view of this. If you were smart, you would remove the names and move on. If I were ANY of those people on the list I would be SERIOUSLY talking with the people who run this site about banning you for singling them out.

How would you feel if some non-objective citizen of the board put you on #1 of a list of people to hassle for starting really narrow-minded, ill thought through, imflammatory threads? Probably not too happy.

If you had any decency at all, you'd edit the post to be blank and let this thread die. At the very least you should remove the names from public view before those people find out and get really, really, really peeved about being singled out. You could have broached the subject of 'freeloading' as you call it, without singling out these people. I don't give a rats if they've hidden a single cache. They don't deserve to be embarassed in public like you're doing.

--------

trippy1976

migo2.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

This is the most imflammatory post I have EVER seen on this board. Who died and gave you the right to dictate to others what they will and will not do in relation to caching? And then to go one step further by holding them 'hostage' with this stupid list of yours.

You are being narrow minded in your view of this. If you were smart, you would remove the names and move on. If I were ANY of those people on the list I would be SERIOUSLY talking with the people who run this site about banning you for singling them out.

How would you feel if some non-objective citizen of the board put you on #1 of a list of people to hassle for starting really narrow-minded, ill thought through, imflammatory threads? Probably not too happy.

If you had any decency at all, you'd edit the post to be blank and let this thread die. At the very least you should remove the names from public view before those people find out and get really, really, really peeved about being singled out. You could have broached the subject of 'freeloading' as you call it, without singling out these people. I don't give a rats if they've hidden a single cache. They don't deserve to be embarassed in public like you're doing.

--------

http://www.wunderware.com/mike/geocaching/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/migo/

Trippy:

I think you covered it very well!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

Back in the historical threads, we had discussed this in length. I even think I remember Peanuthead being in on the discussion. However, those were different times.

Back in August, when I seem to remember the original discussion playing out, there were only about 8000 caches in the database. Many had been archived. Many people at that time (except BunkerDave) were complaining about not having enough caches in their immediate vicinity. I remember people also cautioning that they didn't want just more cache, but more good caches.

As of today, there are 18946 active caches in 123 countries. The most recent cache entered this morning was ID=23246. That's over 15000 additional caches added to the system in 9 months.

With this proliferation of caches, why do we need to worry about people finding and not hiding.

Markwell

You have no right to point out specific geocachers and force your own opinion on them. Without finders there would be no hiders. I'm appalled by your scare tactic.

This post has been locked. Geez, I'm gone for one evening...

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location