Did we move? (Texas)

aace

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Yes. A Geographer told me that, technically, Texas should be in the South and Southeast group. Apparently the ecology is more similar in that area. Had flowcharts and everything.

*shrug*

Jeremy

On that note, Minnesota should really be in the midwest. We are hardly a "Great Plains" state, and we here in MN are used to being referred to as a midwestern state. See this discussion: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=1130994783&m=4770994783

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Yes. A Geographer told me that, technically, Texas should be in the South and Southeast group. Apparently the ecology is more similar in that area. Had flowcharts and everything.

*shrug*

Jeremy

I guess thats why we are home to Southwestern University and Southwest Texas State University. The college football conference used to be the Southwest Conference. Tell that jacka** yankee geographer to take his dadgum carpetbags back to the rock he crawled out from under

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

I guess thats why we are home to Southwestern University and Southwest Texas State University. The college football conference used to be the Southwest Conference. Tell that jacka** yankee geographer to take his dadgum carpetbags back to the rock he crawled out from under

As a matter of fact, *I* am the "jacka**" that asked Jeremy to change it. For your information, I was born and raised in Texas so I would hardly qualify as either a "carpetbagger" or a "yankee"...I still live here in Texas and have hidden caches here.

Southwest Texas State University refers to the REGION OF TEXAS (i.e. Southwest Texas) that that institution is in. You really need to pull your head out of your rear end before spouting off in the future. I have a B.S. and an M.S. (in May) both in Geography and you will lose.

Maybe you noticed we're not IN the Southwest conference anymore. We're in the "Big 12" which goes to show the NCAA conferences have little to do with actual physical regional similarities between the schools, so that argument is a crock also.

As I explained when I asked Jeremy to move Texas to the South, Texas belongs there for a plethora of reasons. The ones that apply to Geocaching are that the terrain, climate, and ecology of the most populated areas of Texas (where most of the caches are) are more similar to other states in the Southern region than the West and Southwest.

But thanks for your uneducated opinion just the same...

JM-99

p.s. I just looked at your profile and see you're probably a t-sip. That explains your ill-informed opinions as well as your proclivities to being aligned with the West and Southwest region.

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on March 13, 2002 at 03:36 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jumpmaster:

As I explained when I asked Jeremy to move Texas to the South, Texas belongs there for a plethora of reasons. The ones that apply to Geocaching are that the terrain, climate, and ecology of the most populated areas of Texas (where most of the caches are) are more similar to other states in the Southern region than the West and Southwest.

Do'h! I'll be sure to tell my employer UT Southwestern that they need to change the name ASAP! icon_wink.gif

But seriously, what you've said makes perfect sense geographically. I think the one thing you might be missing is that Texans have never considered themselves Southerners. The Texas culture and much of our uniqueness as a State is founded on the ranching culture of the 19th century and our former independence from "back east". From that perspective, many Texans do consider themselves Westerners as Texas was once the Western fronteer.

You won't see any tables, graphs, or anything like that from me. This is all just my opinion, but it is why I suppose some people take offense to being lumped in with the southeast.

Also, could you tone down the personal attacks? Yes, I know you took someone's statements personally, but this is too small an issue for us Texans to be fighting each other over.

Can't we all just get along? icon_biggrin.gif

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by aace:

http://www.antiochian.org/southwest/fellowship/swrmap.htm

Whatever this has to do with geocaching...I guess you failed to actually look at that page. This one, for instance, places NEBRASKA, NORTH DAKOTA(!), AND IOWA in your "Southwest Region" icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Oh never mind. I think I'll stay out of the forums.

Good idea...if I had time to play games with search engines, I could pull up an equal number of LEGITIMATE sites that place Texas in the Southern region. Just because someone with a GED in the BLM puts Texas in the "Southwest" doesn't make it accurate.

You're probably one of those people that think Texas is just oil wells, cowboys, and deserts. icon_rolleyes.gif

I changed my mind...I've gotten pretty good at web searches over the last 12 years so it didn't take very long...

http://www.susta.org/

http://www.srcc.lsu.edu/srcc.html

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/Currents.htm

http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/United_States/Regions/South_and_Southeast/Science_and_Environment/

http://southernforestscience.net/

http://www.ispc.org/about/areareps.shtml

http://www.met.tamu.edu/personnel/faculty/orville.html

http://www.deltast.edu/academics/bus/nifa/mem01.htm

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/srs/journal/special/

http://www.csgs.org/csgs-intro.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/people/employ/asap/index_locations.htm

http://www.reeusda.gov/1700/whatnew/ree1121_1.htm (Look down where it says "Texas")

http://www.nass.org/issues.html

http://www.sustainableagriculture.net/ssawg.htm

Looks to me like a lot of educated people put Texas in the Southern region as well, so I'm in good company.

JM-99

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on March 13, 2002 at 07:47 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Thomason (Brokenwing):

Also, could you tone down the personal attacks? Yes, I know you took someone's statements personally, but this is too small an issue for us Texans to be fighting each other over.

The original post was directed specifically at me so I responded in like fashion. Unfortunately, people tend to pop off at the mouth before actually thinking about what they're saying. That was a direct personal attack and my response was directed right back at the person. I don't take kindly to having my comments being called "Bulls**t" any more than anyone else would nor do I appreciate being referred to as a "jacka**". I do hope you understand.

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Exactly! And Texans are not exactly Southwesterners, either. I think Texas needs its _own_ forum page! Texans are Texans...

icon_wink.gif

Well put. There's probably not enough traffic for that, but I'd even settle for a south central forum that included TX and some of them thar other states around us.

Thoughts?

Scott / Brokenwing

I realize that to some of you, this is a very serious matter... but...

Reading this thread is the most fun I've had on the forums since the membership war broke out! Thanks for making me smile, I especially liked the posting of all the links and counter links icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, I think anyone who claims to have the correct answer is an elitist! icon_razz.gif

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

Reading this thread is the most fun I've had on the forums since the membership war broke out! Thanks for making me smile, I especially liked the posting of all the links and counter links icon_biggrin.gif

Glad you liked that...I meant the counter-links partly in jest to point out how inane the first post with the links was. It would appear some people just punch in phrases into a search engine and grab a few links to post without actually looking at them. It also looks like many folks would rather take up a contrary point of view just to be an irritant than actually listening to the reasoning behind another's ideas. Oh well, that's life.

Anyway, glad it gave you a chuckle or two...happy geocaching!

JM-99

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on March 13, 2002 at 10:27 PM.]

quote:

I have a B.S. and an M.S. (in May) both in Geography

Not that it has anything to do with this discussion, but the whole B.S. M.S. line reminded me of a funny my mom told me (after recieving her Masters)

B.S. stands for Bull$hit Degree

M.S. stands for More$hit Degree

P.H.D. stands for Piling it Higher and Deeper.

Hope no one is too offended by the reference to $hit....I know it is kind of coarse, but I thought it was still good for a chuckle.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Well, Jeremy has a lot more moving to do, and plenty of choices:

Pittsburgh needs to be in the West or South section.

Sacramento needs to be in the South or Midwest section.

Dallas needs to be in the West section.

Hey, the NCAA Selection committee CAN'T be wrong, eh? icon_biggrin.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

Uh, if Texans haven't ever considered themselves "Southerners" then what was that "Civil War" thing all about... LOL.

And yes, being from Texas, I get to ask the question... check out the battle of Sabine Pass, see if that wasn't evidence of participation, just a thought.

I have to agree, this forum has been a lot of fun to read, thanks guys and gals. icon_cool.gificon_razz.gif

I think maybe Brokenwing, not being the Texas native out of the household, didn't get the nuance just right in his statement about how Texans perceive themselves. I think many of us DO think of ourselves as southerners, but the thing is we tend to think of ourselves as Texans first! I think you might encounter different attitudes in west Texas, where folks might be more likely to identify themselves with the plains in the north and with the southwest as you get farther south. Of course, I could just feel this way because prior to generations of Texans, my ancestors were generations of southerners!

That opinion babbled about, I'd rather have Texas grouped with some surrounding states, like Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. It would suit my needs better. But I don't know what the residents of those states would think of it! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey all!

Just a couple quick questions...

One is rhetorical, neither really important, but I'll ask anyway...

1.) What the heck is a T-SIP????

2.) If we're now dividing states by terrain, climate, and ecology can we honestly call the "Great Northwest" only one region? Shoot! Shouldn't Oregon, for example, fit into a MINIMUM of three regions? Just a thought. icon_wink.gif

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

BTW, I think anyone who claims to have the correct answer is an _elitist_! icon_razz.gif

Member:http://www.wi-geocaching.com

< icon_wink.gif >Jeremy, if we send you $30, can we get a Texan Only forum? Only Texans would be able to read it... icon_wink.gif >

25021_1200.gif

quote:

quote:

As a matter of fact, *I* am the "jacka**" that asked Jeremy to change it. For your information, I was born and raised in Texas so I would hardly qualify as either a "carpetbagger" or a "yankee"...I still live here in Texas and have hidden caches here.

Southwest Texas State University refers to the REGION OF TEXAS (i.e. Southwest Texas) that that institution is in. You really need to pull your head out of your rear end before spouting off in the future. I have a B.S. and an M.S. (in May) both in Geography and you will lose.

Maybe you noticed we're not IN the Southwest conference anymore. We're in the "Big 12" which goes to show the NCAA conferences have little to do with actual physical regional similarities between the schools, so that argument is a crock also.

But thanks for your uneducated opinion just the same...

JM-99

p.s. I just looked at your profile and see you're probably a t-sip. That explains your ill-informed opinions as well as your proclivities to being aligned with the West and Southwest region.

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on March 13, 2002 at 03:36 PM.]

Texas is the Easternmost Western State. So the masses have spoken, so it is. You can chart, graph, group, and postulate until you are blue in the face. You can point out the southern speach patterns, the weather, and poor white trash and Texas will still be a Western state.

It's like English. 10,000,000 english teaches could not rid the world of the word ain't. So the masses have spoke, so it is. Ain't no Texan big enough to make me believe it's the South even if it is more South than all other states but two. Did I mention Hawaii ain't Western. Maybe they can join you in the South.

quote:
Originally posted by Walkin Stick:

Just a couple quick questions...

One is rhetorical, neither really important, but I'll ask anyway...

That refers to a person that attends the school in Austin. In it's proper form, it isn't capitalized. (i.e. "t-sip")

quote:

2.) If we're now dividing states by terrain, climate, and ecology can we honestly call the "Great Northwest" only one region? Shoot! Shouldn't Oregon, for example, fit into a MINIMUM of three regions? Just a thought. icon_wink.gif

Ha. Ha. Ha.

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Texas is the Easternmost Western State. So the masses have spoken, so it is. You can chart, graph, group, and postulate until you are blue in the face. You can point out the southern speach patterns, the weather, and poor white trash and Texas will still be a Western state.

If you look above, the majority of people that have responded that actually LIVE IN TEXAS have supported my claim that Texas belongs in the Southern region. It's flattering that people in the Western states are so envious that they feel the need to adopt us into their region, but we truly don't belong there.

quote:
It's like English. 10,000,000 english teaches could not rid the world of the word ain't.

???

quote:

So the masses have spoke, so it is. Ain't no Texan big enough to make me believe it's the South even if it is more South than all other states but two.

In other words, "I don't care if you have completely valid reasons for it to be in the Southern region. I'm just an ignorant twit without any education in Geography and I want it to be in the West because I say so."

Is that pretty close? icon_rolleyes.gif

What an ignorant attitude. As I stated in the subject, if you aren't a native of Texas your opinion on this really doesn't matter one way or the other. Your "masses" that have spoken are not from Texas, if you've noticed. If you were actually from Texas (i.e. you were born here and grew up here), it would be vividly clear to you why we should be grouped with the other Southern states rather than the Western ones. I've outlined the reasons that apply to geocaching and you can re-read them above, if you need to.

quote:
Did I mention Hawaii ain't Western. Maybe they can join you in the South.

Hawaii belongs in the Western region a heck of a lot more than Texas does.

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

I think maybe Brokenwing, not being the Texas native out of the household, didn't get the nuance just right in his statement about how Texans perceive themselves. I think many of us _DO_ think of ourselves as southerners, but the thing is we tend to think of ourselves as Texans first!

Indeed! I liked his idea of having a separate region with Texas and surrounding states. You could call it the "mid-south" to keep others happy...

Right now, I'm just really glad Jeremy moved us to the Southern region. Much of the information passed in the West/Southwest forum had little or nothing to do with Geocaching in Texas. An example I gave him was the Louisiana hydrocaches thread in the Southern forum. That *directly* applies to geocaching in much of the populated areas of Texas.

BTW, to the person that mentioned the Battle of Sabine Pass, I'm originally from Beaumont so we learned all about that. icon_smile.gif

JM-99

Originally posted by T-storm:

I think maybe Brokenwing, not being the Texas native out of the household, didn't get the nuance just right in his statement about how Texans perceive themselves. I think many of us _DO_ think of ourselves as southerners, but the thing is we tend to think of ourselves as Texans first!

I know how Brokenwing feels. I too married a native Texan.

I moved here over 20 yrs ago and the first thing I learned is that Texas is a country of it's own (probably should have it's own forum too). My wife feels she is a Texan first and southern second. icon_biggrin.gif

Having been here this long I almost feel like a native. I have to admit though, Texas has been very good to me. We have been happily married 13 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Walkin Stick:

"t-sip" is a derogatory term used by Texas A&M students or "former Students" for students or "exes" of The University of Texas. It's lower case to show disrespect. They also call the school "tu" instead of "UT" for the same reason. I guess it's supposed to be funny or cute or inflamatory, but not being an Aggie I don't really get it. It also goes back to the days when UT was viewed as the school for the more 'elite/elitist' Texans, who were mocked for being high-brow tea-sippers. Many Longhorns feel sorry for the amount of effort true Aggies put into deriding them and just wished they'd admit it comes from an inferiority complex about the school's origins as an agricultural and mechanical college. (Something it's grown out of long ago.)

An Aggie's desire to taunt a "t-sip" goes well beyond any amount of school or team spirit. But, as any Aggie will admit, 'you can't explain it to anyone who isn't an Aggie, and if you're an Aggie you don't need it explained'. Knowing the poster is an Aggie might help explain his tone and language. icon_razz.gif

quote:

If you were actually from Texas (i.e. you were born here and grew up here), it would be vividly clear to you why we should be grouped with the other Southern states rather than the Western ones.

I spent the first 18 years of my life in the Texas panhandle and I have to say that that part of the state has a lot more in common with New Mexico and Arizona (or Oklahoma and Kansas) than with Louisiana or Georgia. Someone from Beaumont might have a problem seeing that connection. Texas has several different regions. Where we group it is a matter of convenience. Hawaii hardly fits in the "West and Southwest" group based on a "geographic similarity" argument either, but there it is. The major population centers are more southeasterly so maybe the current grouping makes a little more sense.

I thought "t-sip" was in lower case because the Aggies couldn't find the shift key??? (actually, an Aggie told me that joke!)

I went to skool in Jawja, so I just stand back and watch the Longhorns & Aggies go at it.

I grew up in Atlanta, and DFW & Atlanta are at roughly the same latitude, so I still consider myself a southerner. Southwest? Sure, I can buy that, especially with west Texas. South central? The map agrees with you. Southeast? Nah... not east of the Mis'sip. South? Well, ya can't get much further south without payin in pesos.

Does it matter? It won't when I finally remember to click the SE instead of the SW forum! icon_smile.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

It's funny. Texans never bother to ask those of us in the _REAL_ Southwest (AZ, NM) whether or not we want them involved in our party.

If the terrain of where you're currently standing looks like the backdrop of a Roadrunner cartoon (mesas and small rocky mountains, saguaro cacti, yucca and joshua trees, lonely two-lane highways with no traffic), you're probably in the Southwest.

Reminds me of a bumper sticker that's popular here in parts of AZ. "Don't mess with Texas. That smell never comes out."

(Don't take this too seriously)

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

Knowing the poster is an Aggie might help explain his tone and language. icon_razz.gif

You're kidding, right? How do you explain the following, then? Remember, this guy started it with the personal attacks.

quote:

Bull Sh*t

Tell that jacka** yankee geographer to take his dadgum carpetbags back to the rock he crawled out from under

Posts: 12 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: February 13, 2002

Just a thought...Aggies don't take this whole rivalry thing as seriously as people would have you believe. It's more of a sibling rivalry than anything else, if you will. Both are great schools, each with its own unique strengths and weaknesses. I honestly couldn't care less about it, but when this guy started the personal attacks, well...

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

'you can't explain it to anyone who isn't an Aggie, and if you're an Aggie you don't need it explained'.

And here I expected the last half of that statement to say that if you were an Aggie you wouldn't understand the explanation anyway.

(University of Houston, class of '93. Go Cougars! Don't care where, just go!)

Being that everything is bigger in Texas, it would make perfect sense to create a "Texas Region" (region of Texas).

Though judging from the egos of my relatives and in-laws, The Texas Region would have to go from Nevada to Minnesota to Alabama. icon_wink.gif

(They think texas is so big that they put those other state names on the map just hide the true size)

Jeeez! I leave town for a few days and come back to catfight. Jumpmaster, seeing as how I didn't use a heavy sprinkling of smiley-faces all over my orignal post, I will offer an apology. I thought the yankee carpetbagger reference would tip most people off that this was a little tongue-in-cheek. Par for the course that an aggie doesn't get it. Let me know next time you are in town. I'll make it up to you with a margarita at Chuy's. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:

I honestly couldn't care less about it, but when this guy started the personal attacks, well...

JM-99

quote:

Originally posted by 88girl:

FWIW, I had read unclerojelio's first post in this thread as a joke, so I was a little shocked to see your response(s). Ouch!

If you'd been the "jack#@@ yankee carpetbagger geographer that lives under a rock" that had requested the change, you might have taken it personally too. Anyway, it's apparently an attempt at humor so I won't harbor any hard feelings toward unclerojelio...

icon_smile.gif

JM-99

I read here with an assumption that people aren't trying to be mean. icon_smile.gif Better to err on the side of caution, I guess. And if something had been posted specifically to get you riled up, everybody knows that you don't feed the trolls! Anyway.... icon_smile.gif

PS WHY OH WHY is the first post ".." now?

Brenna

Bump On A Log

quote:
Originally posted by Mikel & ErinsWeb:

Being that everything is bigger in Texas, it would make perfect sense to create a "Texas Region" (region of Texas).

Though judging from the egos of my relatives and in-laws, The Texas Region would have to go from Nevada to Minnesota to Alabama. icon_wink.gif

(They think texas is so big that they put those other state names on the map just hide the true size)

YOU MEAN IT'S NOT TRUE??????? TEXAS ISN'T REALLY THAT BIG?

Darn, just when I thought we would get our own forum.

icon_frown.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by Mikel & ErinsWeb:

Historical map of Texas

25021_1200.gif