My issues around TNLN

Clan Ferguson

I agree with Rigour's post. The caches get filled up slowly, but surely with "junque" that only some hillbilly "trash des blancs" could love, then you feel like taking the stuff just to take it seems like we are being let down by our fellow players.

I wonder, if we started to switch to some sort of signature item (like a geocoin) that we could leave in the cache as a marker of our visit, would it alleviate the problem?

The cache owner could leave a few nice child-oriented items along with a supply of the cache signature item. The visitors could then swap signature items between adults and the kids along could swap toys. This would smooth things out for the adults and would still make it possible for kids to "treasure hunt". I may give this a try for my next cache.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

I guess I better remove my "found it" messages.

Keep in mind there is always law and "the spirit of the law." As most have indicated in the past, the treasure is the destination, or the experience reaching the destination. Let's not stifle creativity by enforcing rules against those who wish to enjoy the experience and not the materialistic side of geocaching.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Here's an idea: carry a bunch of fresh Travel Bug tags with you. When you find McCrap, attach a tag, give it a cute name, and poof! Value added! icon_razz.gif

I had no idea what the heck a chainmail keychain was until I found one; now it turns out at least two cachers are making and placing them. I like them; homemade sig items are great.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Here's an idea: carry a bunch of fresh Travel Bug tags with you. When you find McCrap, attach a tag, give it a cute name, and poof! Value added! icon_razz.gif

I had no idea what the heck a chainmail keychain was until I found one; now it turns out at least two cachers are making and placing them. I like them; homemade sig items are great.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Keep in mind there is always law and "the spirit of the law." As most have indicated in the past, the treasure is the destination, or the experience reaching the destination. Let's not stifle creativity by enforcing rules against those who wish to enjoy the experience and not the materialistic side of geocaching.

See the court clerk on your way out.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mokita!

Just for the sake of saying it.

I Never said you HAVE TOO TRADE.

I said My opinion was if your not trading your not caching ,but this my personal feeling. The mantra Clan Ferguson caches by.

It's hard to convice people who are not into caching to come with if it means slogging through mud, bramble, and Mosquitos the size of humming birds in 90 Degree weather or pouring rain just to sign a piece of paper. Then you want them to pick up trash too??

If that had been my first cache or how cache had been described to me, I would have said "Get bent, I'll stay on the short trail thank you!" But tell them there is the promise of even the smallest goodie or some sort of soviner and they are all over it. (Yes even after I have shown them my assortment of broken pencils, golf balls, and half empty cans of new car smell.)

This is why I don't do Virts,Locationless, or Mircos(unless they are part of a multi stage) I don't enjoy them but it doesn't mean I want everyone to stop hunting them.

Also I ASKED TNLNers, "Please trade."

I never said it should be a hard fast rule.

I only quoted the FAQ as a point to show where my opinion comes from.

I think too many people think in absolutes. all I wanted was to get more people to trade, in the hopes they we can all lead by example, while avoiding the dreaded Quality/Quanity arguement. But I guess some people hear what they want to hear.

I believe "Cache In, Trash Out." Should extend beyond the junk we pick up off the trails.

So I am Sorry to anyone who heard

MORE RULES, MORE RULES!!

or

IF YOU DON"T DO IT MY WAY YOU S#$@!!

That was never my intention.

These should proabply be another thread but...

Two more points or "As I see it"

1. I have read several books on Orienteering and have even tried it. Quite enjoyable. But saying GPSing is not like Orienteering is like saying Typing a post in the forums is not like Talking to others. All you've done when you GPS is let Technolgy tell you where your are so you don't need to count paces or take compass bearings and compare landmarks to a map. and yes I have Geocached with out the aid of my GPS.

2.and as far as require a custom made stamp. that could be as simple as a shape with your initals craved out of short block of wood. Not much different then signing your name on paper if you ask me.

Once Again sorry

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

If you TNLN weather alone or in a group, your not geocaching.

quote:

I Never said you HAVE TOO TRADE. I think too many people think in absolutes.

I just can't seem to reconcile these two ideas. In the first post, you tell people that they're not Geocaching.

In the second post you us that you don't mind people not trading and that too many people think in absolutes.

If the second is your true feelings than the first statement seems in contridiction, and an absolute. By telling people they're "not Geocaching" you're making a highly inflamatory and “absolute” statement. Kinda like saying "If you're not eating pizza, you're not eating." or "If you don't use Tide®, you're not really doing laundry."

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

icon_confused.gif

quote:

quote:

I just can't seem to reconcile these two ideas. In the first post, you tell people that they're not Geocaching.

In the second post you us that you don't mind people not trading and that too many people think in absolutes.

If the second is your true feelings than the first statement seems in contridiction, and an absolute. By telling people they're "not Geocaching" you're making a highly inflamatory and “absolute” statement. Kinda like saying "If you're not eating pizza, you're not eating." or "If you don't use Tide®, you're not really doing laundry."

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

icon_confused.gif

quote:

quote:

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:

I said My opinion was if your not trading your not caching

You seem surprised that people got worked up over this. I would think it would be obvious that when you tell a large part of the community here that you feel they aren't "real geocachers" - of course people are going to post with some emotion. icon_smile.gif Everyone's gotta throw in their .02 or more, trying to make you understand how we feel that we ARE real geocachers even if we usually TNLN. icon_smile.gif

quote:
It's hard to convice people who are not into caching to come with if it means slogging through mud, bramble, and Mosquitos the size of humming birds in 90 Degree weather or pouring rain just to sign a piece of paper. Then you want them to pick up trash too??

*laugh* Now you are just getting to be silly... nobody is suggesting that people be convinced NOT to trade. Gimme a break. If you are inviting someone new along, of course you'd be mentioning that there is most likely a box of goodies to be found once you get there. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

I only quoted the FAQ as a point to show where my opinion comes from. I think too many people think in absolutes.

If you would have simply asked people to trade items more, you would have gotten much gentler of a response from folks. But again, when you start out your opinion by effectively telling many people here that they aren't "true geocachers", of course you would get this type of reaction. It may have not been your intention to upset folks, but I'm pretty sure that was a big part of your opinion that they took issue with. Just like Markwell explained, right above this post.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:

I said My opinion was if your not trading your not caching

You seem surprised that people got worked up over this. I would think it would be obvious that when you tell a large part of the community here that you feel they aren't "real geocachers" - of course people are going to post with some emotion. icon_smile.gif Everyone's gotta throw in their .02 or more, trying to make you understand how we feel that we ARE real geocachers even if we usually TNLN. icon_smile.gif

quote:

*laugh* Now you are just getting to be silly... nobody is suggesting that people be convinced NOT to trade. Gimme a break. If you are inviting someone new along, of course you'd be mentioning that there is most likely a box of goodies to be found once you get there. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

I only quoted the FAQ as a point to show where my opinion comes from. I think too many people think in absolutes.

If you would have simply asked people to trade items more, you would have gotten much gentler of a response from folks. But again, when you start out your opinion by effectively telling many people here that they aren't "true geocachers", of course you would get this type of reaction. It may have not been your intention to upset folks, but I'm pretty sure that was a big part of your opinion that they took issue with. Just like Markwell explained, right above this post.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Maybe I'm a little biased here, but here it goes. Isn't the whole idea of geocaching about the hunt/find? It does say, take an item, leave an item. What I want to know is:

HOW COME WITH SOME OF MY CACHE HIDES, THERE'S STUFF GONE AND NOT POSTED IN THE LOG BOOK OR EVEN ON THE WEBSITE????? I don't mind, though.

Hey, it is just for fun, I don't care about who does or does not take stuff (even though I leave things that I think would be appropriate or more). I don't have a problem with the mctoys (if it is my cache and it is overrun with mctoys, then I'll simply give it an enema and still leave one or two for the kiddies). I am considerate to appreciate 1/1 hides. I've never been to a "virtual". I would probably appreciate them. I have found micro's . I have hidden a micro. I have seen TNLN many a times, but proud that they were there at the CACHE THAT I HID-----I BROUGHT THEM THERE!!!!

Seems to me that some people are getting bored with geocaching. That's why all the gripes with TNLN, mctoys, 1/1 caches, virtuals and so on.. You may say that I have not encountered the "problem" yet, like you have, but I have seen it in a lesser degree, but IT IS evident. Why not let a sleeping dog lay, and go about it in a different approach:

I have looked at alot of people's profiles. Yes, alot of people have many finds with little hides. Alot of people have many hides with few finds. Some have numerous hides and finds, and bunches of people have little or nothing, but are making a start. There are "veterans" in this sport as well "newbies". Some are more "seasoned" and know the protocol, as there are ones who do not. I'm sure if some others read these logs, they will be truly ashamed for the mctoy they left or regret they took nothing and left nothing. Others wonder why they thought the beautiful mist in the valley was a good place for a virtual. It should not be that way. I say it's all in the eye of the beholder.

GET OVER IT!! If it is your cache, and has TNLN's , betcha there are 10 times the logs that took and left stuff than the TNLN. A cache that is now full of mctrash: betcha at one time there was some good stuff in it (man I'm mean). If so, redo it, go through the logs and remember who left what. Look for other logs from that member and see if the pattern continues. I HAVE. Alot of times, it is just by chance, and later, they did differently. The TNLN: They, too left something at another cache, but it doesn't bother me they didn't mine. Would you rather they go back to the car and get a mctoy instead of TNLN? Hey, it all goes back and forth. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Just enjoy what you've got>>>>>>>A cache to hide and a bunch to find>>>>>>.And be happy your cache is not trashed, removed, destroyed, pillaged, plundered, set afire, filled with horse crap, a rattlesnake placed in it....See, there's lots more worse than a TNLN. TNLN???? This gripe is trivial, to say the least

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

In defense of Ferguson, I think his first post is about geocaching and his second post is about GPS'ing icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

In defense of Ferguson, I think his first post is about geocaching and his second post is about GPS'ing icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Almost every time, I take 'most if not everything' and leave the same 'most if not everything' as I peruse the contents. Other times I'll 'take only memories and leave only footprints'... sometimes if I can't get my footprint inside the cache, I'll leave my fingerprint instead! I'm thinking the problem isn't that I didn't take and leave something... just that I haven't always logged it correctly... Sorry... I'll try harder next time! icon_rolleyes.gif

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

Almost every time, I take 'most if not everything' and leave the same 'most if not everything' as I peruse the contents. Other times I'll 'take only memories and leave only footprints'... sometimes if I can't get my footprint inside the cache, I'll leave my fingerprint instead! I'm thinking the problem isn't that I didn't take and leave something... just that I haven't always logged it correctly... Sorry... I'll try harder next time! icon_rolleyes.gif

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!