Should this count as a find?

OK before you go racing back in time and searching to Markwell me on this one at least read it to the end, please.

Went after one of Paintfiction's nasty urban micros last night. After reading the logs I knew exactly where to look-inside a 6" square hollow commercial signpost. The access is through a cutout that was used for electrical connection but no longer. I felt the magnetic box and as I contorted my arm to remove it I dropped it down the hole. The hole is deeper that I could reach, and after two trips to Lowe's (only .5 miles away) to get recovery gear it is still down the hole. I emailed the owner, and posted a "should be temporarly archived" note online. I offered to replace the container, but have not gotten a reply. Meanwhile I got an icon_razz.gif elbow in the ribs email from a local cacher. icon_rolleyes.gif "Did you drop it in the hole?" After a brief e-correspondence he suggested I not replace the container, as he had already dropped the original and replace it with one of his own. icon_redface.gif

So is this a find?

icon_frown.gif No I did not sign the log.

icon_smile.gif Yes I did find the container and had it in hand for a few seconds.

icon_confused.gif Should we recommend this cache be permanantly archived?

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

It's not a find because you didn't sign the logbook. As for what should be done about the cache, wait for the owner to answer your e-mail. I'd expect he'd either ask you to replace the container, or offer to replace it with one himself. Only if you received no response to repeated inquiries should the "cache should be archived" button be pressed, in my opinion.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

If it were me, I'd post a note, but I WOULD'NT log it as a find.

If the container is being consistantly dropped into a hole where it cannot be recovered, I'd certainly recommend to the owner that it be fixed or archived. But then it occurs to me that if enough containers are dropped then eventually the hole will fill up and this won't be a problem. icon_biggrin.gif

So if I do replace the container with a new log then I get the find? Hmmm.... I do like to see smiley faces not frowns in my page.

This cache has been in play for all of a week and this has happened twice already.

I remember reading about the cache that Markwell Markwelled. That was an adventure. My moment of shame was a little more public, as Paintfiction likes to hide his in very public places. This is on a pretty busy road.

I also remember something related to car theft and insurance fraud that Gen. Bracket alludes to happening in Miami.

Thanks for the flameless opinions so far.

It's up to the caches owner as to a find. It looks like a bad spot for a cache and that should be fixed regardless.

Still I love the paradox. In my book it's a not a find unless it was impossible to recover the container. If it's impossible then it would be a find and I wouldn't lose any sleep over the find. Losing sleep because I knocked it down the hole is another story.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Per request of the cache owner,I have replaced the cache with a container of my own.I logged in everyone who posted online, as well as myself. So, now it is a FIND. It should be puzzling to the next few finders to see the same handwriting on the first five logg-ins!

icon_rolleyes.gif Do these discussions of the definition of 'find' make anyone else think back to the line:" Define the word 'the'"? icon_rolleyes.gif

Is there any way to install it with a chain having a magnet on one end and the cache on the other? That way the cache can be retrieved without removing the magnet and the next finder won't face the same problem. The cache will always be secure. Just a thought.

quote:
Originally posted by DeerChaser & Poni:

I would have logged it as a find. You are not responsible for the location. The cache was placed in a bad spot, no way to recover if dropped. Not your fault. He should have foreseen the hazard and attached something to it just in case.

Me too

Realizing I'm in the minority here, but this is a very unique circumstance. Generally the criteria is "did you put your hands on the container?" and generally if the answer is yes, then the other criteria (signing the logbook) isnt an issue. you found it. it was in your possession you just weren't able to sign. thats a find IMHO.

alt.gif